Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like the gfs 18z and 12z Para continuity.

Also I'd pay attn to ukmet for hints as much as nam, gfs moving toward euro, ukmet might be showing us euro moving toward american suite. Talking about big seperation we need at hr 84ish neighborhood. Gotta be middle road, ground here. If that's case should be a pretty good event for most of board. Course I'd like to be measuring with a yardstick(gfs,para) for once as opposed to a ruler but beggars can't choosers.

2 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

You essentially have one crappy model showing a snowstorm 5 days out and a bunch of other models not.  I'd be inclined to not go all in with the Deep South snowstorm scenario at this time, if I had a big audience to inform.  I'd probably toss it too.

Ukmet is showing a nice storm as well, IMO.

Would love to see things go towards the Euro a bit more tonight honestly, at least in terms of the suppression. I mean how many times have we seen a perfect storm at this time frame and it miss to the north? So I'll take a little suppression and hope for the inevitable NW and wetter trend.

7 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I thought it was fairly light?

We only have the 5h and surface pressure map to go off of. IMO, based on that map there would be a widespread 2 to 4 inch swath of snow through AL,GA,SC,NC. 

Edit to add: I wouldn't be surprised if the Ukmet had 6+ inch totals for place like Macon, Augusta, Columbia. They would probably jackpot with that surface low track.

GZ_D5_PN_120_0000.gif

2 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

We only have the 5h and surface pressure map to go off of. IMO, based on that map there would be a widespread 2 to 4 inch swath of snow through AL,GA,SC,NC. 

I'd put money on the ukmet over all others at this point. It's been knocking the socks off on this event so far, atleast 5h rock steady and hasn't wavered. 

1 minute ago, CaryWx said:

I've wondered about this today.  Would there be a tendency towards 'climo' thinking (meaning "that just can't happen 'round here") or to still hug the euro anyway.

I have seen times when the Euro showed a bomb and it was tossed due to the lack of run-to-run consistency. However, this is a little different. This time around we have two distinct camps and it all comes down to stream interaction. This is a toss-up. It could go either way. Truth be known, I believe there will be some interaction, but the degree of interaction is still unknown. The high resolution models will offer a better solution once we get inside their range. If someone were to hold a gun to my head, at this point I would have to say we will get a moderate snow event somewhere between the GFS and Euro.

16 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

Would love to see things go towards the Euro a bit more tonight honestly, at least in terms of the suppression. I mean how many times have we seen a perfect storm at this time frame and it miss to the north? So I'll take a little suppression and hope for the inevitable NW and wetter trend.

more times than not that's for sure. 

fwiw, here is the 12z canadian geps. as you can see....all over the place. 

120 hour

PNMPR_panel_120.gif

hour 132

PNMPR_panel_132.gif

hour 120

PT_panel_120.gif

hour 132

PT_panel_132.gif

Archived