joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jon said:

Sorry but this look is garbage. Toss the entire run. The energy won't be elongated like that and the heights are just flat. Wrong.

22757683cd9499927099ee059930041f.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a noodle...what a disaster. You're right...it just doesn't look realistic. Let's just wait for the global models tonight lol.

6 minutes ago, Jon said:

Sorry but this look is garbage. Toss the entire run. The energy won't be elongated like that and the heights are just flat. Wrong.

22757683cd9499927099ee059930041f.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like a spear right through the heart of weenies everywhere. :P

Seriously through, I'd toss that in a second. 

1 minute ago, CaryWx said:

The key item I wanted to see from the NAM tonight is the perturbations of the NS and the wave in the first 48hrs which were somewhat telling imho as Wow pointed out.   That stuff at 66 is likely trash. 

Yep, agreed. The later part of the NAM run is most likely noise, but the first 48h is cause for concern.

I am still learning about various models.  So my understanding is that the NAM is like the GFS except it covers a smaller areas (North America only) at a higher spatial resolution.  I am assuming that a higher resolution model will be more accurate than a lower resolution model.  So why do we use a lower-resolution global model to predict the weather over North America when we have access to a higher resolution regional model?

I will say this...the NAM is doing an absolutely AWFUL job right now in the short term.  Does it mean anything?  Heck IDK.... the 6 hour rain totals..  (0z to 6z) so about another 3 hours worth...it has me only getting maybe .30" of rain at most....I am at .85" since 6pm or so....  storm total just over 6"

7 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I am still learning about various models.  So my understanding is that the NAM is like the GFS except it covers a smaller areas (North America only) at a higher spatial resolution.  I am assuming that a higher resolution model will be more accurate than a lower resolution model.  So why do we use a lower-resolution global model to predict the weather over North America when we have access to a higher resolution regional model?

Higher resolution models only run in the short term(12-84 hours) and are mainly looked at to see mesoscale features(position of a locally heavy band of rain or snow for example). NAM only goes out to 84 hours whereas the global models(GFS, Euro, Ukie, CMC) go out to the mid or long range(84-384 hours). As this event gets closer, assuming we still have the event, the NAM and other shorter ranged models will be analyzed more.

4 minutes ago, deltadog03 said:

I will say this...the NAM is doing an absolutely AWFUL job right now in the short term.  Does it mean anything?  Heck IDK.... the 6 hour rain totals..  (0z to 6z) so about another 3 hours worth...it has me only getting maybe .30" of rain at most....I am at .85" since 6pm or so....  storm total just over 6"

Interesting Chris because I always figured (generally anyway) the NAM had a bias to amp up precip totals too much sometimes. 

1 minute ago, LovingGulfLows said:

Higher resolution models only run in the short term(12-84 hours). NAM only goes out to 84 hours whereas the global models(GFS, Euro, Ukie, CMC) go out to the mid or long range(84-384 hours). As this event gets closer, assuming we still have the event, the NAM and other shorter ranged models will be analyzed more.

Why are higher resolution models not run out as far?  Is it simply a mater of computational resources or are higher res models more unstable as time goes on?

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The NAM has been much better in the last year.  It still has some horrible moments, but its generally more trustworthy now than it was 18 month or 2 years ago.  Its interesting the new parallel NAM though looks exactly like the GFS.

To be honest I have mostly seen the NAM the subject of derision.  So is it more accurate within its domain (short term, North America) than the associated global model (GFS) over the same time frame/spatial extent, or not.  If not, what is the point of even having it?

Just now, cbmclean said:

Why are higher resolution models not run out as far?  Is it simply a mater of computational resources or are higher res models more unstable as time goes on?

Computational resources and budget, plus it's not exactly easy to predict mesoscale features 5 days out, so I guess you can say it's both. Higher resolution models need very accurate data and uses that data to simulate atmospheric features in the very short range.

Archived