joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, NC_WX10 said:

Not seeing those areas as the best possible areas for this event. Southern and eastern areas are favored. 

They get paid the big money for a reason tho. Their human forecast aligns with north-west trends IMO. Para is good for these areas with better temps than southern or eastern areas. I do think when all is said and done trends will favor the NC high country.

1 minute ago, Queencitywx said:

After that February 2015 storm, I don't feel good until I see it falling and laying. 

Id love to see precip maps on the ukie. Canadian does have UKIE meteograms, I think, somewhere on the GEM website.

The thing is that storm if I recall correctly didn't necessarily undergo a monster shift. It was about a 60-80 mile shift inside 60 hours which is always possible.  Those who see the impacts remember it as being bigger than it was 

1 minute ago, Jonathan said:

Am I correct in assuming that the GFS vs the GFS Para runs match up? As in, the 18z GFS Para would use the same info the 18z GFS did, even though it comes out closer to the 0z? So with the 0z Para, it should match up with the 0z GFS...geez I hope that made sense.

It does, in theory, the 00z GFS Para should be a weaker version of the 18z GFS Para....that's what I would say anyway based on how the GFS is trending

Just now, Cheeznado said:

GFS has 2" for Atlanta. New Euro and EPS are very important runs, I will not buy a bigger event than that until they come on board. I would take 2" here in a heartbeat.

Yup, 2" is a great event here. The surface @ 0z GFS is an issue, though. It's above freezing in ATL for most of the event. It might be a struggle to get it to stick around.

Just now, Benholio said:

Yup, 2" is a great event here. The surface @ 0z GFS is an issue, though. It's above freezing in ATL for most of the event. It might be a struggle to get it to stick around.

I didn't look but surface temps usually are not accurate this far out or sometimes even close in they are too warm because models don't resolve evaporative cooling so they think a 36/20 spread at the start of an event doesn't cool to 30 or 31. 

Did a quick test tonight...this is how the GFS initialized tonight and below are the 4 Globals and the GEFS/EPS.   The GFS was a little weak at day 5, the Euro and EPS weren't even close and the CMC wasn't half bad.  This is just one snapshot but was curious on how the models have done the past 5 days.

Top is how GFS initialized and the bottom 6 are from 5 days ago.

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 10.29.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 10.30.18 PM.png

3 minutes ago, AshevilleCityWx said:

They get paid the big money for a reason tho. Their human forecast aligns with north-west trends IMO. Para is good for these areas with better temps than southern or eastern areas. I do think when all is said and done trends will favor the NC high country.

They may very well be right.... however the odds of that happening are going down with each model run. Tomorrow's WPC charts will be totally different unless the models change dramatically overnight.

2 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Using this map and saw this stated someplace else, but see that energy over great lakes in ns. That's what the ukie keyed on to phase and go negative tilt

Where are the UK vort maps at this earlier?  They don't come out on meteocentre for another 30 mins.

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I didn't look but surface temps usually are not accurate this far out or sometimes even close in they are too warm because models don't resolve evaporative cooling so they think a 36/20 spread at the start of an event doesn't cool to 30 or 31. 

I just looked and at hour 108 and it shows Atlanta just slightly above freezing, then warms up during the event at hour 114 to around 34 or 35. Really odd....I just don't think with a low that far south, surface temps would be a problem to be honest.

1 minute ago, LovingGulfLows said:

I just looked and at hour 108 and it shows Atlanta just slightly above freezing, then warms up during the event at hour 114 to around 34 or 35. Really odd....I just don't think with a low that far south, surface temps would be a problem to be honest.

Yeah, it's probably assuming diurnal heating which just doesn't happen during a snow event. 

2 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Did a quick test tonight...this is how the GFS initialized tonight and below are the 4 Globals and the GEFS/EPS.   The GFS was a little weak at day 5, the Euro and EPS weren't even close and the CMC wasn't half bad.  This is just one snapshot but was curious on how the models have done the past 5 days.

Top is how GFS initialized and the bottom 6 are from 5 days ago.

Awesome post... Definitely gives hope for our storm to trend stronger.

GFS Parallel really is any interesting run since it keeps the wave intact looking very close to the 18z operational gfs as far has the impact to our area but also partially phases and brings the low up to Hatteras like the UKMET

9 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Where are the UK vort maps at this earlier?  They don't come out on meteocentre for another 30 mins.

If you rerun the 0z gfs 500mb you can see for a brief frame that energy over GL sense the gom wave but they r to seperated. Had to be what caused ukie to explode I bet it came down backside of gulf wave , ala Jan 2000 redux.

Archived