• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

5 minutes ago, LovingGulfLows said:

I just looked and at hour 108 and it shows Atlanta just slightly above freezing, then warms up during the event at hour 114 to around 34 or 35. Really odd....I just don't think with a low that far south, surface temps would be a problem to be honest.

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Yeah, it's probably assuming diurnal heating which just doesn't happen during a snow event. 

Why would the 0z assume diurnal heating and the 18z wouldn't? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to understand the temperature differences. I would have expected a further south/weaker low to be better for surface temps in NGA, not worse. There does seem to be a missing high during this time period that was there on the 18z.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plus the gfs 0z drops the left over energy that doesn't get sheared out the deepest in the gom. Bet the ukie and para, cmc aren't as deep therefore shortening the seperation gap and allowing more ns energy to get involved setting off fireworks. Told u the ukie will sniff out a phase long before any other model. It's the master at it.

Just now, Wow said:

GFS Parallel really is any interesting run since it keeps the wave intact looking very close to the 18z operational gfs but also partially phases and brings the low up to Hatteras like the UKMET

Looking at the intermediate UK anomaly plots of the UK...at 72 it leaves a strong piece of the ULL behind, but is dragging it along, at 84 that piece is digging west and then at 96-108 it starts to interact with the low over the lakes.  It is similar to the 18z para.

When looking at the Euro today...at 108 there is a weak piece of energy that is lagging behind...if that was stronger and a little quicker it would be UK/para possibly.  Of course, total hot dog wishcast moment.

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 11.58.36 PM.png

Just now, Benholio said:

Why would the 0z assume diurnal heating and the 18z wouldn't? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to understand the temperature differences. I would have expected a further south/weaker low to be better for surface temps in NGA, not worse. There does seem to be a missing high during this time period that was there on the 18z.

Temps rise to 32/33 in Atlanta at 1pm on Saturday because the precip is over and the cloud deck is thinning out. Take a look to your South and East where it's still coming down... Surface temp of 29 around Augusta at that time.

1 minute ago, NCSNOW said:

Flip side with ukie trends you'd think euro would be moving tonight as well.

NAM and UKMET are our precursor runs which usually give you an idea of the next move for the GFS and Euro.  It's been a pretty good indicator so far.

7 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Looking at the intermediate UK anomaly plots of the UK...at 72 it leaves a strong piece of the ULL behind, but is dragging it along, at 84 that piece is digging west and then at 96-108 it starts to interact with the low over the lakes.  It is similar to the 18z para.

When looking at the Euro today...at 108 there is a weak piece of energy that is lagging behind...if that was stronger and a little quicker it would be UK/para possibly.  Of course, total hot dog wishcast moment.

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 11.58.36 PM.png

Great info. Maybe we've been so focused on the wave survive pac nw fully intact,  when really all we need is a slug of energy to make it 30 more hours down the road for better opportunity.

4 minutes ago, Wow said:

Ah, so here's why the UKMET has stronger storm... It left a piece of the wave. Weak, but enough to keep it separate from the northern stream until phasing in the SE

at 72 hrs

Yep, and it did that with its 12z run as well, it just wasn't as sharp with the trough when it got to the southeast on the 12z run

40 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Wondering if that is Wilkes.

It ...BEARS watching.  Confidence increasing.

AshevilleCityWx replied to StoneColdWeatherAustin's topic in Southeastern States

...Bares watching for sure.
  2. alien.thumb.jpg.6f77f9735f9b27e37d4c827a

NWNC2015 replied to NWNC2015's topic in Southeastern States

...Bares watching for the climo areas of north-east Georgia, NC mountains, northern NC foothills, VA border counties, et cetera. Need it colder.
  3. hour 240 south-east Floridabares watching
  4. alien.thumb.jpg.6f77f9735f9b27e37d4c827a

NWNC2015 replied to NWNC2015's topic in Southeastern States

...only placebares watching is the OBX. don't see much support now for inland track for eastern NC or points south down the east coast.

Yeah Pack, we still have 2 camps right now...

GFS/UKMet are giving some separation between the streams which brings some high pressure east in damming position before the storm arrival, so they are colder

CMC doesn't have the stream separation.  It ends up working out for many areas this run, but it's a more risky play temps wise.  Euro has been in this camp as well, but was simply more squashed and weaker than tonight's CMC.

2r3jmsm.gif

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Do we want the Euro to trend towards the UKmet with the weaker piece of energy left behind converging with the low coming down out of the Great Lakes? Or am I just completely lost. Yeah I'm lost 

I think that keeping the energy in the NW from interacting with the NS is all but over. Our best hope is that the wave stays as strong as possible and gets to the western gulf.

Archived