joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, localyokelweather said:

You feel that there is any indication to go above a general 2 - 4" across parts of SW NC (localized, TN line and also closer to the escarpment)? I wonder if moisture can bank up against the escarpment enough to warrant an increase to 3 - 5" on our map. 

Good to see you and Met1985. It's been a while since i visited the forum. 

Nice to see you posting in here! I think 2 to 4 is a good start but I think can go up much higher depending the strength of the storm.

4 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I dont understand why Western NC is not under a Watch.

For a watch to be issued up here, 4 inches of snow has to fall within a 12 hour period, or 5 inches in a 24 hour period. given the Euro's snow totals, it would take the 12z run looking like the GFS before they would have enough cause to issue it. Here is a link explaining http://www.weather.gov/media/gsp/winter/Product Description.pdf

1 minute ago, DixieBlizzard said:

Forecast high today was 47F in Ellijay. Made it to 41F and I am not sure it will rise much more with virga in the area.

Dallas Ga High today was supposed to be 56 only at about 42 so far and got till about 3-4 for peak heating we shall see if it reaches that...climo could be a few degrees colder then model

Looking at GFS soundings...

Charlotte (central Meck County): may begin as light rain, then switch to snow and it's all snow.  Temp drops to 26 early Sat

Raleigh (central Wake County): may begin as light rain, then switch to snow and it's all snow but closer call than Charlotte.  Temp drops to 22 early Sat

Greenville, NC (NW Pitt County): snow to sleet to snow.  Temp drops to 21 Sat at lunch time

Just now, griteater said:

Looking at GFS soundings...

Charlotte (central Meck County): may begin as light rain, then switch to snow and it's all snow.  Temp drops to 26 early Sat

Raleigh (central Wake County): may begin as light rain, then switch to snow and it's all snow but closer call than Charlotte.  Temp drops to 22 early Sat

Greenville, NC (NW Pitt County): snow to sleet to snow.  Temp drops to 21 Sat at lunch time

That's assuming we make 44, which the GFS thinks we get to. We'll see. 

33 minutes ago, Bsudweather said:

What's up with that warm nose on the Game/Sc border? I'm not sure I'm buying that. That just doesn't look right.

@Lookoutcan explain it very well but it the way the winds are converging in that area since the moisture is coming from the GOM and Atlantic but the cold is coming over the mountains the Savannah river valley traps that warm air and make a warm bubble. 

Well this was my concern all along....a bigger NW shift than it was the GFS misses to the south.

So things are improving in the AVL to Hickory to Triad to NE NC corridor.  CLT to Raleigh to Greenville, NC have to hope that there's not more lift north.  I'm probably more concerned with seeing heights lift over the Ohio Valley and Mid Atlantic than I am with the vort getting super sharp

Just now, griteater said:

Well this was my concern all along....a bigger NW shift than it was the GFS misses to the south.

So things are improving in the AVL to Hickory to Triad to NE NC corridor.  CLT to Raleigh to Greenville, NC have to hope that there's not more lift north.  I'm probably more concerned with seeing heights lift over the Ohio Valley and Mid Atlantic than I am with the vort getting super sharp

Yep, this is what always tends to happen.  You lose the cold press at the last minute.

7 minutes ago, griteater said:

My concern would be that the precip doesn't blossom back west over N AL/GA.  I've seen that happen all too many times.

Just now, Wow said:

My concern would be that the precip doesn't blossom back west over N AL/GA.  I've seen that happen all too many times.

That's the CMC scenario.  Seeing the GFS come in though, it tends to be a little weaker with these waves at this time range I'd say...so seeing it sharpen this morning, I don't think we are going to see this all of the sudden go back flatter

4 minutes ago, Wow said:

The NAM/RGEM certainly show that.  They both got colder there too.  The UKMET I thought did, but then I realized that the 00Z UKMET had a 12 hour panel from 00Z sat to 12Z Sat and the 12Z UKMET had two 6 hour panels for that period.  There was virtually no difference, far NW GA and AL were pretty dry on both runs.  The UKMET/ECMWF both are darn similar in those areas and both hint at a weak snow band from 10-16Z Sat AM in N/NERN GA..  The colder air getting in faster though may cause the entire thing to balance out.  I think ATL may be snowing by 00Z or certainly sleet.  Yesterday I did not think that was possible.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived