joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GlaringSun said:

So when will the NW trend start?

About 36-48 hours ago.

Real talk though: Depending on (A) How far south the cold air pushes prior, (B) how deep and cold the air actually is and (C) the time between a fully cold thermal profile being in place verses the arrival of moisture...would this not affect the qpf as it translates to real frozen precip touching the ground? Saturation isn't an instant thing with cold (dry) air. How much are these "snow maps" accounting for that?

5 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

Gfs continues to be rock solid! Wave the flag folks.

You feel that there is any indication to go above a general 2 - 4" across parts of SW NC (localized, TN line and also closer to the escarpment)? I wonder if moisture can bank up against the escarpment enough to warrant an increase to 3 - 5" on our map. 

Good to see you and Met1985. It's been a while since i visited the forum. 

Just now, Bevo said:

About 36-48 hours ago.

Real talk though: Depending on (A) How far south the cold air pushes prior, (B) how deep and cold the air actually is and (C) the time between a fully cold thermal profile being in place verses the arrival of moisture...would this not affect the qpf as it translates to real frozen precip touching the ground? Saturation isn't an instant thing with cold (dry) air. How much are these "snow maps" accounting for that?

Model precip outputs already account for dry air/precip not reaching the ground.

1 minute ago, chapelhillwx said:

Pivotal Weather actually has a pretty helpful Kuchera ratio map that shows what snow ratios are at a given point in time. This figures in to the Kuchera snow accum maps.

Of course, you have to assume the temps, etc on the model are accurate, but it's still helpful to get an idea.

I'm assuming that's why their maps show more accumulation than the Tidbits. It's very reasonable that the last half of the storm will have higher ratios even as precip rates decrease.

Just now, FallsLake said:

I'm assuming that's why their maps show more accumulation than the Tidbits. It's very reasonable that the last half of the storm will have higher ratios even as precip rates decrease.

Yep. They have total accumulated 10:1 snow and snow depth on the ground, as well, so it's nice to compare.

2 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Hard to tell what ratios would be. We can assume as it first stars falling they'll be low (like 7:1). But as the cold air is drawn in at the surface and above the ratios will increase. At hour 48 RDU is sitting around 22 (surface temp).

Pivotalweather has a product that shows the ratios going into the Kuchera method. Here's a GIF from 36 to 60 (which covers all of the storm for NC):

gfs.ratioku.us_ma.2017010512-loop.gif

Some pretty nice ratios (12:1 and 14:1) towards the end.

2 minutes ago, Boknows34 said:

I think the slight NW trend will continue...Just my opinion, but then again, I'm just a weenie

You can get more precip in AL/GA without a NW trend of the system itself.  Faster development which throws more precip back and other factors could drive more snow into far NRN GA and NERN AL without a major track shift

4 minutes ago, localyokelweather said:

You feel that there is any indication to go above a general 2 - 4" across parts of SW NC (localized, TN line and also closer to the escarpment)? I wonder if moisture can bank up against the escarpment enough to warrant an increase to 3 - 5" on our map. 

Probably in higher elevations like highlands and cashiers.  I could see those areas in the 6-8, especially highlands.

3 minutes ago, WeatherGirl205 said:

Out of curiosity, what is causing the dry strip from Louisiana to west Alabama?

The upper level wave is positive tilt until it reaches the Mississippi River...so from the perspective of LA and MS, it's a late blooming system...suspect you will see some light precip in there but it ramps up as you head east

So up until last night only the Euro seemed to have trouble with the BL temps/cold air being in place and it finally embraced it last night at 00Z and now the other models seem to want to run warmer this morning ugh.....the cold air supply is deep and very very cold so I am going to to not worry yet, the models will figure it out but what fun would it be without a few scary runs.....so don't fear the cold will win out and the warm nose issues will be confined to the immediate coastal areas.....I hope.....

What's up Local! I think 4"-8" is certainly possible in place like Cashiers, Highlands, and Lake Toxaway. Orographic lift is difficult to model and the trough orientation will really affect how much lift is produced. I think this could trend into a nice 3"-6" event for most all of WNC when it's all said and done.

1 minute ago, griteater said:

The upper level wave is positive tilt until it reaches the Mississippi River...so from the perspective of LA and MS, it's a late blooming system...suspect you will see some light precip in there but it ramps up as you head east

Thank y'all! I'm a little south of Birmingham so I'm pulling hard for my kiddos to see some. 

1 minute ago, claycochaser said:

Because the snow to the North and South of that "strip" is being caused by 2 different mechanisms.

2 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

Probably in higher elevations like highlands and cashiers.  I could see those areas in the 6-8, especially highlands.

Yea, was thinking the same thing. We might up to 3 - 5" in our current 2 - 4" for that area and if it goes to 6 - 8" then o well, thats splitting hairs in my opinion. 

"You call for snow and it rains or is sunny, gather the pitch forks. You call for rain or sunshine and it snows, they love you" 

Faucet drip weather following the snow is gonna be brutal. Stay warm bud. 

3 minutes ago, Hvward said:

What's up Local! I think 4"-8" is certainly possible in place like Cashiers, Highlands, and Lake Toxaway. Orographic lift is difficult to model and the trough orientation will really affect how much lift is produced. I think this could trend into a nice 3"-6" event for most all of WNC when it's all said and done.

All true. We just try to avoid whiplash for our small set of readers/followers and will likely wait till the mid afternoon hours to make any changes. 

By the way, love your detailed post on FB; simple, concise and not hyperbolic. Look forward to seeing those pics tomorrow and Saturday, stay safe chasing the snow! 

9 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I'd be more worried if I was you if the CMC had gone north to be honest because I'd put more belief in the RGEM at this point if that happened.

CMC follows the lead of other models. Its verification scores speak to that. No idea why everyone is getting excited about it. 

Ugghhh, our forecast really took a bad turn today. Rain Friday night and into Saturday morning low 33. Changing to sleet/snow Saturday afternoon as temp drops. They are still saying 3-5 inches of sleet/snow but if we get an all night rain, it will have a very hard time sticking. Hopefully by tomorrow it will turn back to what it was yesterday.

All true. We just try to avoid whiplash for our small set of readers/followers and will likely wait till the mid afternoon hours to make any changes. 

By the way, love your detailed post on FB; simple, concise and not hyperbolic. Look forward to seeing those pics tomorrow and Saturday, stay safe chasing the snow! 

Class act here folks. Preston is a great guy. Thanks man I agree on the whiplash.. would rather be 2-3" low on totals than 2"-3" high haha. I think this one will be a fun event to study. Check out his page on Facebook Localyokelweather He is always posting great stuff/accurate forecast and is a must follow if you live anywhere close to WNC!

13 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I'd be more worried if I was you if the CMC had gone north to be honest because I'd put more belief in the RGEM at this point if that happened.

agreed!!  Selfishly, I'm glad the south shift...I know it really won't happen that way, but its colder here for sure....GFS is not very far off from being super nice...need a little temp help.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived