Newest Member
    Toothache
Thumper the Dumper obs/pics 12/16 to 12/18/16

Ginx snewx

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

They do not do well in south winds. But it's usually one of those deep srly flow event. They drop 50 degrees later.

Elevation and being on west side of that ridgeline FTL. But like you said once CAA kicks in theyll drop faster than anyone. It's interesting the HIE is still pretty chilly. Usually they downslope and mix right out. 

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

They do not do well in south winds. But it's usually one of those deep srly flow event. They drop 50 degrees later.

Very similar to us. I'm on a flight out west but we spiked up to 54 in the early morning hours, and there is a strong correlation between wind and temperature. Amazing, considering we were at -13F just over 24 hours ago! Graph below is from the weather station; top is temp/dp, bottom is wind

Temp.JPG

1 minute ago, alex said:

Very similar to us. I'm on a flight out west but we spiked up to 54 in the early morning hours, and there is a strong correlation between wind and temperature. Amazing, considering we were at -13F just over 24 hours ago! Graph below is from the weather station; top is temp/dp, bottom is wind

Temp.JPG

Yup...you keep bouncing in and out of the inversion. Dead calm and 30.9F here. I always want to move higher, but it's these few setups every year that make me happy I CAD well. 

CAD is in fact a great thing! I was aware of the 'issue' when I move here, but overall I prefer the frequent snows to uninterrupted snowpacks (plus i just love the scenery and it makes sense for the rental business). Still, fascinating to see on a chart. Now, if I could have upsloped, CAD, great scenery and good rental business I'd certainly prefer it! But for now, this is gonna have to do. :)

1 minute ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Didn't score enough icing to stop my anemometer.  Over to plain rain now.  Being lakeside really kills me for ice.  Bummer.

I would like to report that I have a resident snowshoe hare in my yard.  He's amazingly fearless for something so low on the food chain.

Hehe... low on the brain scale, as well? :)

8 minutes ago, alex said:

CAD is in fact a great thing! I was aware of the 'issue' when I move here, but overall I prefer the frequent snows to uninterrupted snowpacks (plus i just love the scenery and it makes sense for the rental business). Still, fascinating to see on a chart. Now, if I could have upsloped, CAD, great scenery and good rental business I'd certainly prefer it! But for now, this is gonna have to do. :)

I'd love to has a place in Pittsburg someday. I could deal with lack of CAD when it snows 150"+ a year. Your latittude will help you out in some events too. I can't recall too many events where Whitefield held on this much longer than Pittsburg. It's usually one of the first places in the state to mix out.

not to be a stickler ...but I'm curious about something...

NWS Glossary defines Cold Air Damming as:

"The phenomenon in which a low-level cold air mass is trapped topographically. Often, this cold air is entrenched on the east side of mountainous terrain. Cold Air Damming often implies that the trapped cold air mass is influencing the dynamics of the overlying air mass, e.g. in an overrunning scenario. Effects on the weather may include cold temperatures, freezing precipitation, and extensive cloud cover"

I'm wondering if, based on that definition, if the cold left behind after the fact (this morning) in one or two terrain valleys constitutes the same thing?   It does in the sense of it being 'on the east side' of the Apps I suppose, but that is coincidentally and doesn't really fit logically into the total definition above. -- particularly, that sort of vestige valley cold isn't modulating dynamics as a clue.

I'm just curious because once that warm flooded over and removed the 25 to 33 F cold left in the wake of yesterday's party a few hours ago .. 'CAD' was gone, at least as it pertains to this definition above. 

In any event, the 50 F over snow pack is a tenuous set here to put it kindly.  I'm also curious how much bear ground either checkers or takes over the landscape by days end. We'll see...  

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

not to be a stickler ...but I'm curious about something...

NWS Glossary defines Cold Air Damming as:

"The phenomenon in which a low-level cold air mass is trapped topographically. Often, this cold air is entrenched on the east side of mountainous terrain. Cold Air Damming often implies that the trapped cold air mass is influencing the dynamics of the overlying air mass, e.g. in an overrunning scenario. Effects on the weather may include cold temperatures, freezing precipitation, and extensive cloud cover"

I'm wondering if, based on that definition, if the cold left behind after the fact (this morning) in one or two terrain valleys constitutes the same thing?   It does in the sense of it being 'on the east side' of the Apps I suppose, but that is coincidentally and doesn't really fit logically into the total definition above. -- particularly, that sort of vestige valley cold isn't modulating dynamics as a clue.

I'm just curious because once that warm flooded over and removed the 25 to 33 F cold left in the wake of yesterday's party a few hours ago .. 'CAD' was gone, at least as it pertains to this definition above. 

In any event, the 50 F over snow pack is a tenuous set here to put it kindly.  I'm also curious how much bear ground either checkers or takes over the landscape by days end. We'll see...  

It's more like in-situ CAD at this point.

Archived