Model Mayhem!

SR Airglow

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

And BOX has no AFD out and partly sunny Fri-Sun lol

GYX's AFD includes this:

Another weak system may bring some snow to the area toward the end of the week.

and then later on it includes this:

Will have to watch for another snow eventcome Friday-Saturday timeframe.

I'm be heading up there on Friday.  Hopefully ftw.

3 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Gyx has a heavy rain event Tuesday night with snow melt and flooding, and not a lot of ice Monday night.  Close the shades here and pray for the pack

Euros got a secondary going over the cape, don't think you'll have to worry about major pack loss with that setup. You should be left with a nice glacier

6 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Euros got a secondary going over the cape, don't think you'll have to worry about major pack loss with that setup. You should be left with a nice glacier

Yeah there's no massive melt off. Not happening with that track. Airmass is complete trash so plenty of cold rain after probably some icing, but it's a cold rain in the 30s that mostly adds meat to the pack rather than melt it. 

EPS and GEFS are a bit different. 06z GEFS ends with a -NAO (which I don't buy). EPS  looks like it tries to rebuild heights in the PNA region after dropping a bit at the end of the run. Either way, looks favorable I think for many areas. Hopefully it does not break down or change much going forward.

mmm, evidenced two days ago ...

warm intrusion unlikely with the mid week shinanigans ... no shocker that as we inch closer, that's ever more illustrated in the guidance' then it was painfully obviously so back then.

but, i can also see why Friday may not happen at this point, certainly ...not along the original design. 

first of all, the original conception for late week was more of a broad synoptic overrunning. that aspect is gone. it could return but has not shown signs of doing so.  the trough is getting ejected too fast for the overrunning to set up now.

meanwhile, some of the guidance were nestling a more important important actual wave of low pressure amidst all that ... those being the GGEM and Euro.

... yeeeeah, okay - there could still be a wave ..., but, there is a more classical limitation (at this time and depiction) for getting it to be more than pancaked and gasping.

that being that tuesday and wednesday are spatial-temporally too close. The moisture along with the mid week ordeal will pull away leaving a dearth of effective thermodynamics to work with. so even if that trough ejected with enough mechanical power to kink a flow that's already moving along at ludicrous speed... it probably would result in more of a windy dim sun flurry fest.  

the short version of all this is that the flow's completely morphed compared to that look two days ago.. no overrunning for one; that wave for next friday becomes challenged by the mid week one happening first.

15 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I'm pleased with Dec. This was a  winter month. I had that in my winter forecast. While others torched and snowless Dec..I thought this month would feature adequate snow and closer to normal temps. BDL and ORH both AN in snowfall. BOS and PVD BN , but not by a lot. I had ~13 inches this month. Hoping to add a dusting -1" tonight.

We had cold snaps...and didn't have to wear shorts at all. 

Thanksgiving is 5-8 days before Dec..it's certainly reasonable to expect colder, wintry conditions sometimes

Yep, totally reasonable to expect wintry conditions 5 to 8 days before you average around 42 for a high.

Happy New Year, question....Based on the snow we have gotten this season so far, which model has been the most accurate if that is easy to answer? GFS,EURO etc. Or maybe i'm trying to say, which model scoped it out all the way to the end? 38F, wind gusting to 15mph, don't want to loose my snowpack, gosh i'm praying for cold/snow this month.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

mmm, evidenced two days ago ...

warm intrusion unlikely with the mid week shinanigans ... no shocker that as we inch closer, that's ever more illustrated in the guidance' then it was painfully obviously so back then.

but, i can also see why Friday may not happen at this point, certainly ...not along the original design. 

first of all, the original conception for late week was more of a broad synoptic overrunning. that aspect is gone. it could return but has not shown signs of doing so.  the trough is getting ejected too fast for the overrunning to set up now.

meanwhile, some of the guidance were nestling a more important important actual wave of low pressure amidst all that ... those being the GGEM and Euro.

... yeeeeah, okay - there could still be a wave ..., but, there is a more classical limitation (at this time and depiction) for getting it to be more than pancaked and gasping.

that being that tuesday and wednesday are spatial-temporally too close. The moisture along with the mid week ordeal will pull away leaving a dearth of effective thermodynamics to work with. so even if that trough ejected with enough mechanical power to kink a flow that's already moving along at ludicrous speed... it probably would result in more of a windy dim sun flurry fest.  

the short version of all this is that the flow's completely morphed compared to that look two days ago.. no overrunning for one; that wave for next friday becomes challenged by the mid week one happening first.

I am no expert at all but this post seems to make a lot of sense given what has been said for the past month or more

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

EPS and GEFS are a bit different. 06z GEFS ends with a -NAO (which I don't buy). EPS  looks like it tries to rebuild heights in the PNA region after dropping a bit at the end of the run. Either way, looks favorable I think for many areas. Hopefully it does not break down or change much going forward.

Didn't you say you were starting to buy it?

Archived