• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Novie is near, the first un-official month of SNE winter!

Typhoon Tip

11 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

But seriously go back and read that text - it's remarkable that somebody can string together so much verbal effort and have essentially no logic. It's incredible that somebody could exspend that much energy creating utter gibberish. 

lol, Shakespeare producing monkeyish is perhaps even more remarkable than a monkey producing Shakespeare.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ENSO is a coupled Ocean-atmosphere process. It has nothing to do with snow levels in the Andes. It is actually a self-destructing process which is why it oscillates a lot. For example during a strong La Niña, you get clear skies in the western tropical pacific which heats up the water more than normal to depth in that region...so now you have a warmer subsurface than usual which is setting the stage for the next El Niño. 

The power of the tropical sun is a huge driver in ENSO. 

it is interesting how the low retrogrades... i think the 12z EURO's output may be somewhat unlikely but there will still be flakes flying and probably accumulating across SNE. 

i think the upcoming cold shot sets the stage for a HECS the following week... mark my words! (and feel free to throw them in my face if we are HECS-less come the end of the month :))

5 minutes ago, qr7121 said:

it is interesting how the low retrogrades... i think the 12z EURO's output may be somewhat unlikely but there will still be flakes flying and probably accumulating across SNE. 

i think the upcoming cold shot sets the stage for a HECS the following week... mark my words! (and feel free to throw them in my face if we are HECS-less come the end of the month :))

Other than the October snow bomb of 2011, what other pre Thanksgiving HECS have occurred in New England?    Not disputing it, just wondering.

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Other than the October snow bomb of 2011, what other pre Thanksgiving HECS have occurred in New England?    Not disputing it, just wondering.

There are none down here. Not sure about further north in Maine. 

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

i have no idea. i am seeing similar patterns in the atmosphere that we saw in 10-11 but this yr they appear to be getting going about a month ahead vs. 10-11 (just IMO). hence i don't think it's unreasonable to think we see a redux of the Boxing Day Blizzard, just much earlier this yr. 

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

There are none down here. Not sure about further north in Maine. 

Quick look on xmACIS shows 11/23/43 and 11/27/2014 are probably the best bets in our area, the latter being Thanksgiving Day and probably not in historic range but widespread double digits. The 1943 event was a two footer but mainly confined to the mountains.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Quick look on xmACIS shows 11/23/43 and 11/27/2014 are probably the best bets in our area, the latter being Thanksgiving Day and probably not in historic range but widespread double digits. The 1943 event was a two footer but mainly confined to the mountains.

Yeah I mean we had a double digit biggie on Thanksgiving 1971 over interior SNE. But not a HECS...and it technically doesn't qualify as pre thanksgiving. 

Nov 26-27 1898 was a HECS but it was after thanksgiving.  Ive always wondered why there haven't been more huge storms in November considering it isn't that hard to get minor to moderate snows. It just doesn't seem we get the PJ buckled enough far enough south for them I guess. 

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I mean we had a double digit biggie on Thanksgiving 1971 over interior SNE. But not a HECS...and it technically doesn't qualify as pre thanksgiving. 

Nov 26-27 1898 was a HECS but it was after thanksgiving.  Ive always wondered why there haven't been more huge storms in November considering it isn't that hard to get minor to moderate snows. It just doesn't seem we get the PJ buckled enough far enough south for them I guess. 

And odd considering some great November stemwinders.

And maybe that's it, we just don't have the reservoir of cold near New England yet, but the Upper Midwest/Midwest part of the country can get access to that Canadian air more often. 

32 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

How bout the day before Thanksgiving in '02? Is that a MECS or did it not even accumulate in the cities?

40 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

And odd considering some great November stemwinders.

And maybe that's it, we just don't have the reservoir of cold near New England yet, but the Upper Midwest/Midwest part of the country can get access to that Canadian air more often. 

i suspect it partially has something to do with Hudson Bay... in November it is giving off tons of latent heat as it freezes over and usually we are downstream of that... not so for the midwest/plains. could be very wrong but just an idea

3 hours ago, qr7121 said:

James....is that you????

20 hours ago, cut said:

An acronym is simply a way of conserving effort in communicating!!! U.S.A is an acronym for Pete's sake!!!!

Actually, USA is simply abbreviation, not an acronym as (I think) are most abbreviations used here.  An acronym is when the abbreviation is pronounced as a word rather than the letters.   So, USA is a non-acronym abbreviation.  NASA is an abbreviation that is also an acronym.

Now back to discussions of NAO, AO, SOI, EPO.....

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Veterans day 87?

that storm had some weird accumulation patterns...some places well inland in sne only had a slushy couple inches while other places that got into the better banding got crushed even closer to shore and down to the mid atlantic....i couldn't believe how much snow fell in parts of the mid atlantic with that one while outside of Hartford I had at best about two inches

8 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

that storm had some weird accumulation patterns...some places well inland in sne only had a slushy couple inches while other places that got into the better banding got crushed even closer to shore and down to the mid atlantic....i couldn't believe how much snow fell in parts of the mid atlantic with that one while outside of Hartford I had at best about two inches

Hunchie got crushed 

Archived