Newest Member
    joxey
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Great Mansfield shadow......another great shadow image from the top of Mount Everest!  At 29028 feet it almost looks like you can see the curvature of the earth.

tumblr_moq01lTI7r1rfuijjo3_1280.jpg

It's pretty close. You need a pretty wide field of view (i.e. not an airplane window) so Everest would work. I see a lot of literature cites something close to 35,000 feet for it to be possible.

On 10/15/2016 at 9:57 AM, powderfreak said:

For sure.  Cold start but warming up quick.

Mount Mansfield's shadow over the Champlain Valley this morning.

image.jpeg

This image reminds me of a short-take I saw on some Travel channel show about European destinations ...they were discussing some village/town in ...gosh I think it was the Swiss Alps.  They are perpetually in a terrain induced darkness, from about this time of year through the middle of April.  Fascinating, what they've done is built a mile long, quarter mile high system of mirrors (I'm probably exaggerating the dimensions but just to make the point...) on the south -facing slopes of the N elevations above the valley floor.  Such that mid day in full sunshine at Christmas, people were scurrying about the thoroughfares clad in sun-glasses from rays shining via the N direction - it was amazing really.

I wonder if they register any heating that way, too - huh.  Not sure.  I wonder if the flora benefits for that matter. interesting

15 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

It's pretty close. You need a pretty wide field of view (i.e. not an airplane window) so Everest would work. I see a lot of literature cites something close to 35,000 feet for it to be possible.

Ocean,  If you look at the Everest shadow picture and compare the horizon on the left and right it does look like there is a curve.  Maybe it's just the type of lens but I see it.  My brother owns a Lear jet and is a pilot.  We have flown at 35,000 feet.  Sitting at the right seat in the cockpit you can make out the earth curvature.  Like you said you need a wide view as you have in a jet cockpit.

Archived