Newest Member
    joxey
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I wasn't aware of any assumption I made that I would be wrong about?

Lol...all I was doing was making fun of a theoretical dead sea scroll society.

Might be such a thing or something like it, considering the impact of the Qumran discoveries, but that's a different kettle of fish.  ;)

And while Feb. 15 broke 1934's all time records for cold in some places, "smash" seems a bit hyperbolic.  BOS was actually colder in that earlier Feb.  Had only half as much snow, but the subject has been the cold.

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Bermuda gonna get wrecked

there is an amazing resilience to the fauna of Bermuda. The same storm here would totally destroy our trees and electrical infrastructure, the eye vidoes of the calm with virtually no landscape damage are amazing after a 100 mph plus eyewall just passed

36 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

there is an amazing resilience to the fauna of Bermuda. The same storm here would totally destroy our trees and electrical infrastructure, the eye vidoes of the calm with virtually no landscape damage are amazing after a 100 mph plus eyewall just passed

True to some extent, but it's more likely that the wind was partially blocked by the steep cliff behind him.  His other clips don't really show anything to suggest winds over 65-75mph. His most intense clip shows someone standing casually in the blowing mist, which makes even 60mph on the high end of an estimate.  I want to see the flatter, more open areas.  Should be some good stuff there.

Eastern eyewall...eye...western eyewall...

METAR TXKF 131355Z 08067G90KT 0300 R12/0275N R30/0375N +SHRA OVC005CB 24/24 Q0970 RMK CB 10KM E MOV NE PRESFR
SPECI TXKF 131509Z 01012KT 1800 -SHRA BKN005 OVC009CB 26/25 Q0963 RMK WSHFT09 CB 10KM W-E
SPECI TXKF 131604Z 32044G66KT 0800 R12/1100N R30/1300VP2000D OVC005CB 25/24 Q0968 RMK CB 20KM NW-E MOV NE

I just watched all his tweets.  Some impressive winds but not 100mph stuff.  Wished the eye had stayed clear as it was yesterday.  Would have liked to see a stadium effect from the ground,  don't think I have ever seen a totally cleared out eye.  In that last video there was zero damage to the shed or anything so he must have been in a sheltered location.  Will be interesting to see when the wind comes back from the other side.  Sometimes those are the most intense winds just as the eye passes NE.

1 hour ago, eekuasepinniW said:

True to some extent, but it's more likely that the wind was partially blocked by the steep cliff behind him.  His other clips don't really show anything to suggest winds over 65-75mph. His most intense clip shows someone standing casually in the blowing mist, which makes even 60mph on the high end of an estimate.  I want to see the flatter, more open areas.  Should be some good stuff there.

75 here would be a disaster 

56 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I just watched all his tweets.  Some impressive winds but not 100mph stuff.  Wished the eye had stayed clear as it was yesterday.  Would have liked to see a stadium effect from the ground,  don't think I have ever seen a totally cleared out eye.  In that last video there was zero damage to the shed or anything so he must have been in a sheltered location.  Will be interesting to see when the wind comes back from the other side.  Sometimes those are the most intense winds just as the eye passes NE.

lots of videos and tweets with intense winds and little damage when the eye passed. Probably more marine damage than anything. Again put that same intensity here and its a different game.

For the most part, buildings, trees, everything has received only light to moderate damage at most so far. This island can take a hit.

85mph here would be a disaster, I think a nor'easter can pack that punch, it will have to be like the Blizzard of 2005 where bombogenesis takes place south of Nantucket, MA.  That would favor Cape Cod as being in the worst window of lapse rates, and mixing as we have the warmth of the ocean to mix down those gusts to hurricane force.  It will only take a storm bombing out south of us into the 980s for it to be that high wind gust.  Man I can't wait for a winter snowstorm.

13 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Bob, I could see how such a violent wind gust would be produced this winter for the coastal communities, especially Cape Cod and Islands.  Biggest gust since 2000 was 86mph from the Blizzard of 2005 that wasn't thunderstorm related.

Pretty common but no leaves being the deciding factor. Had a dry gust last year after the zero day well into the upper 50's 60's mph  that did quite a bit of damage to Pines but mostly branches.

Well yeah Steve, if there were leaves on the trees and a snowstorm struck with such ferocity than there would be a lot more damage, like say for instance we get a wet snowstorm with leaves on the trees like Buffalo, NY did back in October of 2011.  Man did their trees and leaves get wrecked without power for days.  Man the damage from Matthew in Hilton Head where my Aunt lives was monstrous.

Here James.....

This Afternoon
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 23. Windy, with a south wind around 39 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 24 to 30 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 9. Windy, with a south southwest wind 44 to 55 mph, with gusts as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 27 to 33 inches possible.
Friday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 14. Windy, with a southwest wind 39 to 43 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 15 to 21 inches possible.
Friday Night
Snow showers. Low around 8. Windy, with a west southwest wind 36 to 38 mph, with gusts as high as 49 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches possible.
Saturday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 19. Windy, with a southwest wind 38 to 43 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 17 to 23 inches possible.
Saturday Night
Snow. Low around 10. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible.
Sunday
Snow showers. High near 19. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Here James.....

This Afternoon Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 23. Windy, with a south wind around 39 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 24 to 30 inches possible. Tonight Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 9. Windy, with a south southwest wind 44 to 55 mph, with gusts as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 27 to 33 inches possible. Friday Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 14. Windy, with a southwest wind 39 to 43 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 15 to 21 inches possible. Friday Night Snow showers. Low around 8. Windy, with a west southwest wind 36 to 38 mph, with gusts as high as 49 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches possible. Saturday Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 19. Windy, with a southwest wind 38 to 43 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 17 to 23 inches possible. Saturday Night Snow. Low around 10. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible. Sunday Snow showers. High near 19. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Drool. Wheres this?

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

100+" in 3 days. Lol

More impressive is the forecast for tomorrow night:

Saturday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 10. Windy, with a southwest wind 75 to 85 mph decreasing to 50 to 60 mph. Winds could gust as high as 130 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible.

Archived