Newest Member
    EWR757
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Frost/freeze overrated. Only 32 matters in winter. TAN and OWD won't be high fiving in winter when ORH is S+ and they are raining. 

Except that in order for ORH to get to 32° more often than not, places like TAN & OWD need to hit 32 first - usually by radiational cooling earlier on in the season.  To me that's reason enough to make note of it because it means a step in the right direction.

Let's just not get into the whole "fake" cold vs. "real" cold debate that some like to bring up.

8 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Except that in order for ORH to get to 32° more often than not, places like TAN & OWD need to hit 32 first - usually by radiational cooling earlier on in the season.  To me that's reason enough to make note of it because it means a step in the right direction.

Let's just not get into the whole "fake" cold vs. "real" cold debate that some like to bring up.

I prefer to judge airmasses based on low level thicknesses though. A 100-500ft mega inversion doesn't entirely do it for me. If a chickadee fart has the ability to mix you from 0F back up to 15F it's a little meh.

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I prefer to judge airmasses based on low level thicknesses though. A 100-500ft mega inversion doesn't entirely do it for me. If a chickadee fart has the ability to mix you from 0F back up to 15F it's a little meh.

Give me 2/14/16 cold...that's cold I can get impressed with.

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

An air mass is different than a simple temperature reading.  I don't think anyone would disagree about the "depth" of an air mass (hot or cold) based on readings that can change but a reading is a reading.

Just now, MetHerb said:

I agree...I'm just not going to ignore or call a -50° reading in Maine "fake" or not impressive because it didn't come with wind.

It's almost impossible to get -50 without a real airmass anyway.

The one's I typically call "fake cold" are those mornings where a hilltop may be 27F and a swamp nearby is sitting at 5F...then two hours later the swamp is 33F and the hilltop is 30F. The temp itself isn't fake, but it's literally a product of the lowest 20-40 feet of the atmosphere completely decoupling. It's taking shallow layer cold to another level.

1 hour ago, MetHerb said:

That's not really what I was getting at. Lavarock was disappointed because his hilltop was not at 32 compared to low elevations and areas in SNE that were below 32. He will quickly forget that when his location is getting S+ and the aforementioned areas are rain. 

32 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The one's I typically call "fake cold" are those mornings where a hilltop may be 27F and a swamp nearby is sitting at 5F...then two hours later the swamp is 33F and the hilltop is 30F. The temp itself isn't fake, but it's literally a product of the lowest 20-40 feet of the atmosphere completely decoupling. It's taking shallow layer cold to another level.

I just prefer to be able to go to any elevation possible to get what I want to experience haha.

This morning left the house at 28F, hit the office at 35F, then hiked to the summit with the dog where it was 45F.  

Pretty crazy last night up high though...was 30F with rimed trees and then rose into the 40s in about 35 minutes just after midnight.  

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah.. enjoy the freezes .. I'll take colder daytime highs and snow

Or you could be like Union to your NE and enjoy both.  There are a lot of spots in New England in the 750-1500ft range that enjoy the best of both worlds.  Of course there's *always* someone at a higher elevation in NNE but I think in a perfect world you'd get 1000-1200ft with strong radiative properties.  I'm always envious of those spots here in town...like elevated hollows on the east slope.

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That's not really what I was getting at. Lavarock was disappointed because his hilltop was not at 32 compared to low elevations and areas in SNE that were below 32. He will quickly forget that when his location is getting S+ and the aforementioned areas are rain. 

It doesn't snow here anymore :(

50 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

An air mass is different than a simple temperature reading.  I don't think anyone would disagree about the "depth" of an air mass (hot or cold) based on readings that can change but a reading is a reading.

True.  The battery in my pickup doesn't care that it's 15F less cold 200 feet above.

That -50 was accompanied by numerous locations in the -40s throughout N.Maine.

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

This winter I am going to do a photo collage of all the different types of Cirrus and precipitation free, gray cloud decks we see in WNE. 

Maybe you and Powderfreak can contribute and I'll expand it to NNE. 

I can't wait to get a collective beatdown from the interior over the next few winters. Oh the fun times I will have. 

Archived