• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2016 Discussion/Obs

dmillz25

Looks we have a new 75 or greater average dew point streak record at JFK of 4 days in a row. Previous record appears to be 2 days set in 2005 and 1995.

Only 2 day 75 or greater dew point streaks at JFK that I could find...could not find any 3 day streaks..

7/25/95...76

7/26/95...76

7/18/05...75

7/19/05..75

8/10/16..75

8/11/16..76

8/12/16..75

8/13/16..77

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, bluewave said:

This is is one of the few continuous lightning flash thunderstorms that I have seen since the 5/31/85 remnants of the historic western PA tornado

outbreak rolled through here around midnight. 

Wow that must've been a spectacular sight. I can only recall experiencing two other continuous lightning events, there was one back in late 2014 in Suffolk and one last summer in Orlando. Neither storm was nearly as impressive as last night, however all three occurred at night/sundown. It's a shame last night's storms weren't directly overhead though.

Another 80F low for me, I've been at 80F or greater for roughly 50 hours and counting.

16 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

The 9AM roundup was 1 degree hotter today than Saturday so fa,r for all stations.  JFK running 3 hotter so far

Great looks like a scorcher right to the beach. The Ambrose jet was ripping yesterday evening and it was great

the lighting last evening was incredible. I have the mosquito bites to prove it. Watched it from a huge field 

On 8/13/2016 at 8:45 AM, SACRUS said:

Records:

Sat 8/13:
NYC:  99 (2005)
EWR: 102 (2005)
LGA: 100 (2005)
JFK: 92 (2005, 2003)
New Brnswck: 96 (2002)
TTN:  98 (2002)
PHL: 99 (2002)

Sun 8/14:
NYC:  99 (1988)
EWR: 98 (2005)
LGA: 97 (1988)
JFK: 93 (2003)
New Brnswck: 97 (2002)
TTN:  99 (2002)
PHL: 99 (2002)

Shot today in LGA, EWR, JFK, New Brnswk

1 hour ago, Cfa said:

Wow that must've been a spectacular sight. I can only recall experiencing two other continuous lightning events, there was one back in late 2014 in Suffolk and one last summer in Orlando. Neither storm was nearly as impressive as last night, however all three occurred at night/sundown. It's a shame last night's storms weren't directly overhead though.

Another 80F low for me, I've been at 80F or greater for roughly 50 hours and countining.

The lightning strike density was just off the charts for the Northeast over the last 24 hrs.

lightning_conus2_96_6297.png

2 hours ago, doncat said:

Only made it down to 78 degrees here this am.

1 hour ago, SACRUS said:

Same here Don.  Hottest here since Jul 18 2013.  

Same here as well at 78. Very impressive to spend most of the night in the 80s at our latitude in the suburbs. Hoping to top yesterday's 96.4.

20 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Popping in to ask a question. Do you know the last time excessive heat warnings were issued in New England? Aside from this year of course. This seems to be a pretty noteworthy period. 

Id guess Jul 19, 2013.  But not 100%

After losing power friday night I ended up going to Long Beach yday which was less oppressive than these bx streets. That water was remarkably warm. I've been in some warm water here but if you go deeper you can feel pockets of cooler water but the water yday I felt no difference anywhere. That south wind got strong in the afternoon, I was thinking a strong wind off some ridiculously warm water in an already very humid air mass could create that 84 dew pt at JFK. Plus Jamaica bay and all that marshland around must be a steam bath. Seems like a good spot to record a high dew pt.

Sandy Hook water temp is 84. Did touch 85 for a time.

1 hour ago, dmillz25 said:

Yeah it really does feel comfortable lol. But with that west wind the temps will get higher

I agree, it's way more comfortable than yesterday.  That was one of the most humid days I've ever experienced.  Right through the night it felt like steam outside.

2 hours ago, dWave said:

After losing power friday night I ended up going to Long Beach yday which was less oppressive than these bx streets. That water was remarkably warm. I've been in some warm water here but if you go deeper you can feel pockets of cooler water but the water yday I felt no difference anywhere. That south wind got strong in the afternoon, I was thinking a strong wind off some ridiculously warm water in an already very humid air mass could create that 84 dew pt at JFK. Plus Jamaica bay and all that marshland around must be a steam bath. Seems like a good spot to record a high dew pt.

Sandy Hook water temp is 84. Did touch 85 for a time.

Strong onshore wind stops upwelling from bringing up cool water from deeper down. Offshore wind causes a higher air temp but also causes upwelling which cools down the water. 

I can't remember ever seeing 80+ dewpoints at JFK, the water must have been extremely warm for NYC's latitude and carrying tons of moisture. Essentially what happens at the Gulf Coast. 

Archived