Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2016 Discussion/Obs

dmillz25

1 hour ago, tdp146 said:

Harbor buoy is 82.2 and Fire Island buoy is 81.5 last hour. We'll see how high these can go

(by the way, the "harbor Enterance Buoy" is a little misleading.  Makes it sound like its in front of the statue of liberty or something when its in fact several miles out to sea where the shipping channels start to turn into the NY Bight) 

Yeah, today is the new record high for both those bouys along with the shallow Great South Bay which is 85 degrees this hour.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I would think that it's mostly the winds and clouds being more favorable for warmer LGA afternoon highs and warmer overnight lows compared to Newark.

Several days this summer LGA was able to get warmer due to clouds staying more to the west when it put a lid on Newark high temperatures.

Also ideal conditions for warmer mins at LGA.

July 2011 was the reverse where Newark was the hot spot ahead of LGA.

Other times the temps and departures are closer.

newark's avg high for july was 88.9 while lga's was 88.5. the disparity is entirely due to low temps 

1 hour ago, Isotherm said:

18 90F days now here brwetnging me to normal or slightly above annually. 6 consecutive including today for this stretch. Definitely the most impressive week of the summer by far; this heat wave blows the late July one out of the water locally (both in terms of high and low temperatures). I've also had 5 consecutive nights > 70F (3 of those > 75) which is extremely impressive for my area. The first night of the heat wave was 69F, so it just missed.

For me the July heatwave was slightly hotter..and I

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

For August LGA is beating EWR on highs and lows.

EWR...88.3...71.2

LGA....89.0...74.7

there's still a bigger disparity between lows vs highs. ewr was affected by outflow boundaries on several of the heat wave nights which probably knocked down record min potential 

9 hours ago, tdp146 said:

Harbor buoy is 82.2 and Fire Island buoy is 81.5 last hour. We'll see how high these can go

(by the way, the "harbor Enterance Buoy" is a little misleading.  Makes it sound like its in front of the statue of liberty or something when its in fact several miles out to sea where the shipping channels start to turn into the NY Bight) 

I'm sure this has been answered here before but what year did the buoys go in or start taking weather readings?

11 hours ago, forkyfork said:

there's still a bigger disparity between lows vs highs. ewr was affected by outflow boundaries on several of the heat wave nights which probably knocked down record min potential 

Newark should also have a lead with the highs being about a degree or two higher at Newark if the clouds and storms didn't limit daytime heating as much.

Looks like JFK is closing in on the most consecutive hours with a dew point of 70 degrees or greater.

JFK is currently at 156 hrs beginning 8 pm on August 9th. The record appears to be 178 hrs set in August 2003.

It should be close with the models finally dropping the dew points below 70 tomorrow morning.

JFK recently set the record for most consecutive days with a 75 or greater dew point at 4 from 8/10-8/13.

8/13 would also be the highest daily dew point at 84 and daily average of 77.

13 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

I'm sure this has been answered here before but what year did the buoys go in or start taking weather readings?

The 'harbor entrance' buoy 44065 was put out in 2008.  The one south of fire island, 44025, has been there since 1975.   There have been a ton of new buoys put out in the local waters and globally the last decade or so. I am also not convinced 44025 hit its record high water temp the other day in the low 80s.  I feel like I can remember other times over the years it was in the low to mid 80s (of course I'm too lazy to look through the data). Sometimes all it takes is a stray eddie to spin up off of the gulf steam and you get a few hours of 80+ water. 

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/

1 hour ago, tdp146 said:

The 'harbor entrance' buoy 44065 was put out in 2008.  The one south of fire island, 44025, has been there since 1975.   There have been a ton of new buoys put out in the local waters and globally the last decade or so. I am also not convinced 44025 hit its record high water temp the other day in the low 80s.  I feel like I can remember other times over the years it was in the low to mid 80s (of course I'm too lazy to look through the data). Sometimes all it takes is a stray eddie to spin up off of the gulf steam and you get a few hours of 80+ water. 

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/

I looked through the data from 08 to the present, and the highest reading I saw in any given year was 27.3C, which is just a tad over 81F.  Yesterday beat it.  I posted this data a couple pages back.

7 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

I looked through the data from 08 to the present, and the highest reading I saw in any given year was 27.3C, which is just a tad over 81F.  Yesterday beat it.  I posted this data a couple pages back.

I don't ever remember Ambrose Tower getting that warm before it was replaced by the new bouy.

Archived