Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2016 Discussion/Obs

dmillz25

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Nice focus for storms with the one out in Suffolk being the heaviest. We would get a ton of rain on Long Island

if we could lock in 75+ dew points for the whole summer and early fall like Florida does with all the sea breeze front convection.

WUNIDS_map.gif

Not on the south shore which is useless as far as I'm concerned. When my parents moves to wantagh in the early 80s our neighbors said "it never rains in wantagh during the summer" while not entirely true I'm sure we average half the precip the north shore does this time of year

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Not on the south shore which is useless as far as I'm concerned. When my parents moves to wantagh in the early 80s our neighbors said "it never rains in wantagh during the summer" while not entirely true I'm sure we average half the precip the north shore does this time of year

make sense-the focus would be on the front which is 10 mile inland, so the north shore would be a tropical rainforest while the south shore would be an arid virtual desert. (if we had 75 dews the whole spring, summer and fall)

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

make sense-the focus would be on the front which is 10 mile inland, so the north shore would be a tropical rainforest while the south shore would be an arid virtual desert. (if we had 75 dews the whole spring, summer and fall)

There is some truth to that. Just look at the south shore of Suffolk and the pine barrens. Part of it is due to soil composition but part of it is also due to low summer rainfall. Pitch pines need way less water then hardwoods

31 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

You guys used up your heavy rain allotment with that 6"+ deluge last September. We went to dinner at a friends in Wantagh last fall and they were still 

waiting to have the water damage repairs completely fixed in their basement. 

17 minutes ago, Dan76 said:

Looks like a mineola mauler now.

Was a ton of shotgun thunder for about 30 min here in Garden City. We had about 15 min of rain. I saw some decent CTG strikes as well. The worst of the storm was about 2-3 miles north in mineola though. 

Mineola often does well in these setups. Seen it many many times, its like the jackpot zone when the seabreeze boundary is the focal point for convection. 

Archived