Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Moderate Snow Potential 4/4

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday's snow put BOS at 36.1" for the season.

Not a good season, but funny how that wouldn't even really get a second look now in the record books when we look back years from now. It will just be looked at as a very mundanely subpar season.

Funny how this storm completely tossed aside everything I always stereotyped about April snow. ZR in srn CT during the day. Accumulating snow on roads even on the coast during the day. Pretty incredible airmass.

plus TT said the cloud deck was thicker, I was amazed too. When that burst of sleet quickly recoated the roads at noon I knew there was little to no insulation factor and the mid afternoon jeb walk out in the open did not cause my lazy eye to squint

Yesterday's snow put BOS at 36.1" for the season.

Not a good season, but funny how that wouldn't even really get a second look now in the record books when we look back years from now. It will just be looked at as a very mundanely subpar season.

Some areas pretty close to normal in one of the warmest winters ever. Goes to show you that temps sometimes aren't always the game changer in SNE. We also tried to capitlize on what limited cold we had (moreso in ern areas). I know it's still terrible for folks in western MA.

Some areas pretty close to normal in one of the warmest winters ever. Goes to show you that temps sometimes aren't always the game changer in SNE. We also tried to capitlize on what limited cold we had (moreso in ern areas). I know it's still terrible for folks in western MA.

Probably some pockets in SE MA that are actually above normal for the season now.

Also demonstrates that precip isn't always the final answer for NNE.  This season's Dec-Mar total of 17.37" is 3.2" AN, while snowfall is 40" BN.  It's my 4th wettest of 18 years here, and the other three offer no pattern at all.  Number 1, 09-10, was a ratter for sure, number 2, 98-99 had 90% of avg snowfall but had two 14" storms in March, and number 3 saw 07-08's parade of SWFEs that brought my snowiest winter not in Ft. Kent. 

47.2"

We're tied! 

Farmington co-op still trails by 1.7".  If that holds, it would make 3-of-6 this "decade", 2010-11 on, where ORH had the lead, and 7-of-16 gowing back thru 2000-01.  Prior to that, ORH came out ahead just 8-of-47 years.  I don't have ORH data for 94-95 thru 98-99, but I'm guessing Farmington "won" all 5 of those years, meaning the ORH "dominance" has risen from 15% of years to 44%.  Small sample size (two locations), but interesting, to me anyway.  (Long-term, Farmington avg is 22" higher than ORH.  In 68-69 it was 88"; in 2002-03 ORH led by 48".)

The snow special there and not stick to pines?  Has no problem doing that wherever I see them, be it in SNE or up in NNE.  

Lots of SNE pics from yesterday showed little snow on the taller evergreens, thanks to the cold powder.  And the forester has to note that there are a lot more spruce than pine in the 'Dacks.  Spruce are also a darker green, adding to the black hole effect - same as about 70% of Maine. 

Stunner

Can almost see PF hanging off the Gondola by his scarf

Sums up the season for NNE :lol:.

Hopefully you guys never experience this type of a porking.

Sure there are record low snows but again I state in those futility seasons in SNE, you usually don't see PHL rack up winter storm warnings like a further kick in the balls.

Think of the rage right now if you had 15" on the season and DC to Philly just put together 10" in 2 days while Ray awoke to 6F and bare ground. This place would be hilarious.

Archived