joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mezzanine - 3rd times a charm

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I think odds favor more of that solution, but at 7-8 days out....I suppose it can change. It means more for NNE obviously.

I just find it hard to believe my last accumulating snowfall was on President's Day.  Even '01-02 had a couple of events near the Equinox.  

EDIT:  Then again, I thought it wasn't possible to get 90" in three weeks last year, so there's that too.

Well I think odds favor more of that solution, but at 7-8 days out....I suppose it can change. It means more for NNE obviously.

See,  this is exactly why I just wanted to be done rather than muster any other threats....because its going to be a 41* rain.

God, this winter blew diseased rats harder than any before.

Good riddance.

JSpin posted that based on his data this would be about a 1 in 100 year winter.

If snow season ended right now this would be between a 1 in 100 and 1 in 500 winter, locally, based on historical records.  The thing is we have several more weeks to go where snow accumulation is possible.  What makes this season unique is we haven't had a single snow "event" just nuisance dustings and coatings which were generally inflated by the airport observer (Feb 9 in particular).  But even one moderate event over the next 4 weeks would move this season from unheard of to rare.

If snow season ended right now this would be between a 1 in 100 and 1 in 500 winter, locally, based on historical records.  The thing is we have several more weeks to go where snow accumulation is possible.  What makes this season unique is we haven't had a single snow "event" just nuisance dustings and coatings which were generally inflated by the airport observer (Feb 9 in particular).  But even one moderate event over the next 4 weeks would move this season from unheard of to rare.

Haha that thought has occurred to me.  We've worked so hard for absolute ridiculous ratter status... even last night I was thinking how much this winter sucked going through it, but now coming out of it, it was certainly something interesting to experience from a rarity standpoint. 

The values in almost all metrics are on a scale I never thought possible... its almost like I want to preserve the season at this point instead of some 8-9" event to pad the stats.

Its truly nuts to me that of the ski resorts snowfall in the past 20 years, this season is a full 100" lower than the NEXT worst season.  That's not 100" below normal, that's just 100" below the number 2 crappy year, which was 100" below normal.

J.Spin posted that based on his data this would be about a 1 in 100 year winter.

My spreadsheet wasn’t even set up to go out to hundredths of a percent, never thinking I’d need to worry about it, but now that we’re below that 1% mark it’s starting to matter a bit more.  Anyway, today’s calculation says that we’re looking at a 1 in 115 year event with respect to season snowfall as of this date.  My data set is only one decade, but I’ve got decent faith that it’s not totally out to lunch due to the way that the numbers have continually paralleled the longer-term data sets from nearby mountain sites.

Haha that thought has occurred to me.  We've worked so hard for absolute ridiculous ratter status... even last night I was thinking how much this winter sucked going through it, but now coming out of it, it was certainly something interesting to experience from a rarity standpoint. 

The values in almost all metrics are on a scale I never thought possible... its almost like I want to preserve the season at this point instead of some 8-9" event to pad the stats.

Its truly nuts to me that of the ski resorts snowfall in the past 20 years, this season is a full 100" lower than the NEXT worst season.  That's not 100" below normal, that's just 100" below the number 2 crappy year, which was 100" below normal.

I feel the same.  There have been several average to good winters that I don't remember so clearly anymore.  But this season I will never forget.  I almost don't want to spoil that memorableness. 

The magnitude of departures is incredible in the mountains.

Archived