joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mezzanine - 3rd times a charm

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ice storm city still on the euro up here for Friday. I'd like to see that run verify to see if we could accrete during the day this time of year with the continual LLVL CAA feed.

Oh definitely can...my best ALB ice storm occurred during daylight on April 3rd with 0.75" of ice. Cold deepened so much during the day it actually changed to IP too at times. GFL and RUT had like 18" of snow.

Oh definitely can...my best ALB ice storm occurred during daylight on April 3rd with 0.75" of ice. Cold deepened so much during the day it actually changed to IP too at times. GFL and RUT had like 18" of snow.

Oh yeah...I know it can. I've pulled some daylight -ZR April events in recent years. There's a tipping point though. The insitu deals at 30-31F don't cut it this time of year. If we could keep advecting in lower dews and keep it around 28-29F I think it'd be nasty. Insolation isn't usually big deal with these CAD overrunning events.

Of course this will probably verify as 45F and rain with a brief warm sector.

Oh yeah...I know it can. I've pulled some daylight -ZR April events in recent years. There's a tipping point though. The insitu deals at 30-31F don't cut it this time of year. If we could keep advecting in lower dews and keep it around 28-29F I think it'd be nasty. Insolation isn't usually big deal with these CAD overrunning events.

Of course this will probably verify as 45F and rain with a brief warm sector.

Long term guy at this morning's briefing said chance of snow or thunderstorms.  :axe:

I'm going to say the Euro comes much closer on the 2 m temps there. I realize those are forecast highs, but the 18z hourly temps don't look much different either.

That's a pretty critical detail though. Spending the day mostly around 31/32, is MUCH different than 29/30.

What is the surface wind direction? NNE? Do you have a graphic for that?

Didn't realize the Northern half of ME had so much snow cover...

Could be quite helpful in this situation...

http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com/snowdepth.html

That's a pretty critical detail though. Spending the day mostly around 31/32, is MUCH different than 29/30.

What is the surface wind direction? NNE? Do you have a graphic for that?

Didn't realize the Northern half of ME had so much snow cover...

Could be quite helpful in this situation...

http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com/snowdepth.html

Wind directions are 070, 050, 050 for the NAM, Euro, and GFS respectively.

MOS is 040 degrees, and it's not surprising that it would have a better "memory" of these set ups.

Wind directions are 070, 050, 050 for the NAM, Euro, and GFS respectively.

MOS is 040 degrees, and it's not surprising that it would have a better "memory" of these set ups.

Ty. I agree. That's an ideal flow for sure..

Today's snowfall, with the snowcover along the coast, could be an important factor for this as well, considering the critical difference in 1 or 2 degrees for surface temps...Let's see how much survives...

Archived