Newest Member
    joxey
President's Day Storm Obs & Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's your official jebwalk report in N Arlington:

The walk started out with moderate to heavy snow, with dime-nickel sized dendrites coming down heavily. As I walked around the hood, the flakes got smaller, and the wind got gustier, but visibility was still rather low, perhaps 1/4 mile. Main roads are an utter mess... I think too many people decided to go to work today. Even I-66 was really bad during the worst of the band. A car spun out near the Ballston exit and almost hit another car. Looks like we have about 3.3" here... expecting 4-6".

The HRRR is nasty later on this afternoon and evening. Keeps temps slightly below freezing and probably has 0.25-0.50" as ZR.

We do ice so poorly around here except for like a tenth of an inch. But then again, a lot of our ZR events in recent years have been too much rain at once. If it's drizzle could be dicey. I'll believe sig icing when I see it. 

Amazing how horrible sterling radar can be here some times.

Though this graphic is from a NWS radar in Puerto Rico, it generally should help to explain why, due to distance from Sterling's radar, the presentation will differ from the ground truth in your area.

Obs: snowed a bit overnight, awoke to cartops, grass, and street covered, been snowing steadily again the past couple of hours, temp bouncing from 22° to 23° then back again, not looking forward to the skating rink due to arrive later this eve since I reside on a rather steep hill. Good times!

post-9485-0-23139900-1455550304_thumb.jp

My sister and family are having a blast dowm in St Mary's -- they sent a pic of the Storm Team 4 vehicle tolling around their little town.  Over 7" and still snowing there.  Hard to believe it's going to approach 60 there tomorrow with rain.  Yuck.

Light snow here with some larger flakes; 1.5"; up to 22 degrees now.

Archived