joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday 2/5 Coastal Storm Obs/Discussion Thread

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These things are typical in a marginal temperature effect during a snow storm.   The day before was quite mild with surface streets and sidewalks, road traffic, pretreated roads, mesoscale banding, snow intensity, snow cut-off. being factors..but when all is said and done NWS got it right with a general 2-4 for Central Park, NY -their initial forecast before any tweaking.  Awaiting their official numbers later.  Happy for you peoples.

:)

Far from a scientific analysis, my experience is that Central Park needs to be reporting temperatures in the upper 20s before snow will start to accumulate on streets and sidewalks in Manhattan. Tops of buildings and parks don't really matter.

I was taking a little video of the snow weighted on my hemlocks and caught an oak tree breaking in the neighbor’s yard about 30 minutes ago.

It’s behind and slightly to the left of the shed and you can hear two loud cracks starting about 4 seconds into the video.  If you look closely you can see snow falling but it is hard to see the limb itself.  Now we wait and see if we keep power during this one:

https://youtu.be/fcS3AClu9QU

Very heavy snow continues at teh moment.  Looks like about 8" but won't kow until I go back out.

Reminder:  If you wipe a board during this storm, you are over-measuring.  Measure the maximum snow depth before compaction.

Archived