• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday 2/5 Coastal Storm Obs/Discussion Thread

Zelocita Weather

This snow barely blew around. So the roof lawn issue doesn't apply.

Islip will be around 10. I measured 9.5 and you 9. People to his west 10-11.

I think the numbers make sense for this storm.

In the blizzard I agree, the roof is an issue. But not with heavy wet snow. All the snow is on the roof. If anything you undermeasure in wet snow because it gets stuck in the trees and compacts.

Very true. Very little blowage today. I will say though you need to be away from trees too to accurately measure

Not so here:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NorthShoreWx, on 05 Feb 2016 - 4:01 PM, said:

I disagreed with you calling his 8" measurement BS.  I've been down this road many times. Believe me, I'd rather measure higher amounts, but when they're not there, they are not there.  I've seen this in my own neighborhood being told we had two feet when I couldn't even find a 20" drift.

I've been thru that many times also.

The White Pine survived, but we did loose limbs on other trees and had a few hours without power.

I didn't have any wind like that over here, and thank god too because I'd probably be in the dark. That snow looked a bit drier too, what kind of temps did you have there? It was basically 32/33 here the whole time. I assume you were a degree or two cooler in that area? Just curious, I could be wrong.

I didn't have any wind like that over here, and thank god too because I'd probably be in the dark. That snow looked a bit drier too, what kind of temps did you have there? It was basically 32/33 here the whole time. I assume you were a degree or two cooler in that area? Just curious, I could be wrong.

It was between 31 and 32.

I'm in Melville LI just south of the South Huntington border and near the Northern State Parkway.. I did not measure, but I went out and shoveled twice.. By eyeballing it.. I'd say at least 10 inches easy, prolly 11 or so. Nice storm and stuck to everything! I told a bunch of co-workers and some family last night that we were getting a significant surprise snowstorm.. Now today, I look like a champ, lol. I'm licking my chops for the next one. I love this forum!

-Jason

I'm in Melville LI just south of the South Huntington border and near the Northern State Parkway.. I did not measure, but I went out and shoveled twice.. By eyeballing it.. I'd say at least 10 inches easy, prolly 11 or so. Nice storm and stuck to everything! I told a bunch of co-workers and some family last night that we were getting a significant surprise snowstorm.. Now today, I look like a champ, lol. I'm licking my chops for the next one. I love this forum!

-Jason

That's right where I grew up! At least how you described it.

Trained spotter in south huntington reported 11, so you are in the range.

Looks like western suffolk/eastern nassau jackpot of 9-11 inches.

Great event.

I disagreed with you calling his 8" measurement BS. I've been down this road many times. Believe me, I'd rather measure higher amounts, but when they're not there, they are not there. I've seen this in my own neighborhood being told we had two feet when I couldn't even find a 20" drift.

You and I measured nearly identical amounts this storm. Very uniform reports across western suffolk/eastern nassau.

Trained spotters, NWS employees, and FAA observers uniformly measured 9-12 in the area.

I trust their measurements.

That's right where I grew up! At least how you described it.

Trained spotter in south huntington reported 11, so you are in the range.

Looks like western suffolk/eastern nassau jackpot of 9-11 inches.

Great event.

I grew up in Rego Park/Forest Hills area of queens. Moved to LI in 2001... Just in time to work the new Climo! Never looked back since. I'm totally spoiled rotten now and expect at least 1 blizzard per year..

Question for you folks. What do you guys consider is a MECS? I'd say for NYC/LI it's 10" or more. I think a SECS is 5-9 or 6-9.

-Jason

As of 10:15 am, we have 4.0" in Metuchen at 31F and it's snowing lightly, with the back edge at our doorstep (right along the Turnpike, which I live W of by about 1 mile), so I think that'll be the final measurement. Very nice storm and great forecast by the NWS (I was in their 3-4" swath on the graphic, although the WWA said 1-3", which I never quite understood), DT, and many others. Definitely less to the N/W and more to the S/E, as predicted. And I just made a snowman, which is always fun.

Now at 27" for the season, which is right around climo for the whole season, which is pretty amazing given that this will end up being one of our warmest winters on record (DJF), if not the warmest. On to Monday/Tuesday.

New Brunswick has 30.7 for the year 3.1 today and 26 for the blizzard. Kind of odd because we usually do better then them, but I measured myself in the blizzard and had the same

Number as you.

I suppose I'll put about 11.0 in the journal for this one; one thing I do need to do is reestablish the link to the old Upton storm reports system...the new one on the NOAA OKX page leads to one where you may only roughly report the storm total (they give you a series of choices from a drop down menu and they are rather inexact i.e. "18-20 inches")...making a precise report to them problematic.

Yes, I see what you mean on their link:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/StormReport_new/SubmitReport.php?site=okx

They also have a FaceBook page that more precise data can be submitted:

https://www.facebook.com/NWSNewYorkNY/

Archived