Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2016 Banter

JoshM

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As others have mentioned we're looking at a la nino winter next year. From the below link it would indicate warmer than normal temps for the SE. But there could still be some hope; the weather patterns will be much more variable. We could see warm and cold flips throughout the winter. At the end we could still average above normal but could still have had very cold outbreaks. Also it seems I have heard December can have a higher chance of being the coldest month. Maybe we can pull a white Christmas and then torch the rest of the year.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensocycle/nawinter.shtml

As others have mentioned we're looking at a la nino winter next year. From the below link it would indicate warmer than normal temps for the SE. But there could still be some hope; the weather patterns will be much more variable. We could see warm and cold flips throughout the winter. At the end we could still average above normal but could still have had very cold outbreaks. Also it seems I have heard December can have a higher chance of being the coldest month. Maybe we can pull a white Christmas and then torch the rest of the year.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensocycle/nawinter.shtml

The winter of 2010-2011 was a La Niña coming on the heels of an El Niño, for example, and featured an epic December to Remember.

The winter of 2010-2011 was a La Niña coming on the heels of an El Niño, for example, and featured an epic December to Remember.

That was great:

Started with appetizer1:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/maps/accum.20101204.gif

Appetizer2:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/maps/accum.freezing.20101216.gif

Appetizer3:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/maps/accum.20101216.gif

Then the main course:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20101226/

Top of the page, click on the down arrow by your user name, then click "manage ignore prefs".  You can add users to ignore there. 

Works pretty good except for one big thing.  If someone who's not on your ignore list chooses to reply, the original post will show up from the blocked user in their quote box.  If I could just get everyone to ignore the same members as I do, I would be happy!

Works pretty good except for one big thing.  If someone who's not on your ignore list chooses to reply, the original post will show up from the blocked user in their quote box.  If I could just get everyone to ignore the same members as I do, I would be happy!

First world problems.   :lmao:

BTW - when trying to remember how to "ignore" someone I noticed my ignore list is filled with exactly ONE person (Wilkesborodude).  What happened to that guy?  lol

Top of the page, click on the down arrow by your user name, then click "manage ignore prefs".  You can add users to ignore there. 

Thanks guys

Since we aren't dealing with winter weather possibilities many might have missed this but the models are once again doing horribly with the wedge to the point of being embarrassingly bad.

Starting with the gfs, the 0z run last night is generally around 10 to 15 degrees too warm for north ga/upstate.

The nam has been better in the heart of the wedge but it's been terrible along the edges..in fact it busted worse here than the gfs...by an incredible 23 to 25  degrees. The 0z run last night had temps here in the MIDDLE 70s all afternoon, the 06z had upper 60s/low 70s. In reality it's been stuck around 49/50 all day. It at least though was closer to reality along the 85 corridor.

The canadian and rgem have not been any better either..like the gfs it's been around 10 to 15 degrees too warm in north ga/upstate.   And of course the euro has been a good 10 degrees off too.

Here is the gfs, nam, canadian, and rgem  temps from last nights 0z run for this this afternoon. The old avn and ngm are  laughing their virtual asses off.

gfs_T2m_seus_4.pngnamconus_T2m_seus_8.pnggem_T2m_seus_4.png

rgem_T2m_seus_8.png

Current temps as of 5pm.

post-12-0-81125500-1456266345_thumb.png

post-12-0-15845100-1456266504_thumb.jpg

Since we aren't dealing with winter weather possibilities many might have missed this but the models are once again doing horribly with the wedge to the point of being embarrassingly bad.

Starting with the gfs, the 0z run last night is generally around 10 to 15 degrees too warm for north ga/upstate.

It's been like this for a long time.  Not always as high as 10-15 obviously, but often at least 3-5 degrees off, and damn near year round.  Honestly I don't know why it's been allowed to go so long without being addressed, except that with no major reporting weather stations of any note north of Hartsfield, everyone can pretend it's not as off as it really is.

I'm watching some of the live updates on FB with this ongoing system ---- Chris, Nate, etc.... and also watching the comments scroll by. The Mets giving the updates are very specific when talking about the time frame, and 90% of the comments are asking "What time?" Makes me SMH until I'm dizzy. I just want to scream ---- WHAT PART OF 4-5 O'CLOCK DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND!!! (or whatever the time reference might be). People!!!!!

CLT severe weather February 2016: We will rebuild. 

I don't know how to talk about severe weather.  It's usually way too hyped in CLT so I want to make light of it, but in E. NC they get alot more of it and it can be dangerous.  Congrats E NC?? :unsure:  :blink:  

Plus it's sad there's a severe weather thread in late February and not a winter storm thread.  :(

CLT severe weather February 2016: We will rebuild. 

I don't know how to talk about severe weather.  It's usually way too hyped in CLT so I want to make light of it, but in E. NC they get alot more of it and it can be dangerous.  Congrats E NC?? :unsure:  :blink:  

Plus it's sad there's a severe weather thread in late February and not a winter storm thread.  :(

tracking severe weather 100X better than tracking snowstorms IMO......tracking snowstorms means waiting 6 hrs for a new model update etc....severe changes constantly and at least from a tracking standpoint is more exciting and there is a lot more at stake with getting it right.

Archived