• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm Banter & Complaint Thread, Jan 22-23

No snow for you

Sorry, might have been too bullish on my ice totals (got a bit excited and NAM'd) but 0.5"+ for RDU is a safe bet and that hasn't changed. You never know how much precip will be forced up into the area and how early we transfer to ZR. It will be either not that bad or crippling (lol)... Models won't tell you really how much, you have to just watch radar trends. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well guys I chickened out and went to TN. I'm between knoxville and Nashville and its been raining the whole time. #snowchasefail

LOL. The models had a warm nose going all the way up through eastern TN. Might as well stayed in Atlanta. The wedge has a better chance of cooling the column down here than it does up there.

This is the South.  We don't live in Canada.

I don't get why people hug models (in particular, why people hug clown maps produced on said models' output).  Even sometimes mets are guilty of doing this when producing their forecast total maps.  We NEVER get as much as the clown maps say.  I've never seen it happen.  And yet, every single time, people are surprised, put out, angry, whiny, disgusted, etc. when they don't get what the clown maps said.  The media just makes it worse because every time they get on the "epic" "record breaking" "storm of the century" bandwagon to fill airtime.

Even when the fallout from storms has been bad here - namely, 2010 and 2014 traffic jam debacles - it has NOT been because we overperformed model predictions.  We knew we were going to get freezing rain on the roads, and we all went to school and work anyway.  ****e went sideways because nobody prepared.  (See:  Washington, DC earlier this week.)

Plan on every storm being a fail.  Then, when you get 2" of the forecast 8" (that you didn't believe because you are an adult and smarter than that :clap: ), you will be pleasantly surprised. :snowing:

I'm not saying be stupid.  If there's a storm POTENTIAL, then put food in the house, and gas in the car, and charge the phone.  But don't expect it to turn out as great as what the weenies (including the weenie mets, and there are some) believe it will.  

This is the South.  We don't live in Canada.

I don't get why people hug models (in particular, why people hug clown maps produced on said models' output).  Even sometimes mets are guilty of doing this when producing their forecast total maps.  We NEVER get as much as the clown maps say.  I've never seen it happen.  And yet, every single time, people are surprised, put out, angry, whiny, disgusted, etc. when they don't get what the clown maps said.  The media just makes it worse because every time they get on the "epic" "record breaking" "storm of the century" bandwagon to fill airtime.

Even when the fallout from storms has been bad here - namely, 2010 and 2014 traffic jam debacles - it has NOT been because we overperformed model predictions.  We knew we were going to get freezing rain on the roads, and we all went to school and work anyway.  ****e went sideways because nobody prepared.  (See:  Washington, DC earlier this week.)

Plan on every storm being a fail.  Then, when you get 2" of the forecast 8" (that you didn't believe because you are an adult and smarter than that :clap: ), you will be pleasantly surprised. :snowing:

I'm not saying be stupid.  If there's a storm POTENTIAL, then put food in the house, and gas in the car, and charge the phone.  But don't expect it to turn out as great as what the weenies (including the weenie mets, and there are some) believe it will.  

I feel like this should be stickied at the top of this forum from Dec 1st to March 15th.

It's going to be difficult to get any significant snow and sleet accums around the Triangle area for now. Too much warm air aloft. An ice storm is developing. The northern zones should see more in the way of ZR as the day wears on. Obviously, the farther north and west, the better chance of staying sleet longer.

Also, it is premature to worry about dry-slotting, all kidding aside. Not saying we shouldn't keep an eye on it. But we'll need to monitor how the transfer takes shape and how it evolves from there. Right now, the precip is spotty. There are no guarantees either way. We'll have to watch the trends through the day and hope it either stays spotty or the temps warm above freezing, so we can avoid major power problems.

The precip is what is surprising to me.  Splotchy radar instead of a solid shield.  Didn't expect that.

Archived