joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm Banter & Complaint Thread, Jan 22-23

No snow for you

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

marginal high, strong coastal right on the coast its kinda been in the cards the whole time at least RDU east.....we need a miracle trend SE with the SLP and its unlikely to happen....in fact its more likely to go NW more

Been my thoughts for 2 days. Cad wasn't near stout enough to do work at least down to here.

Yup!

Wedge versus weak over running equals wedge that stays in place longer than modeled

Wedge versus strong surface low close to coast equals wedge that goes poof faster than modeled

For what ever reason the models see it backwards they scrub out a wedge to fast with weak over running and dig it in when there is a strong SLP on the coast.....there is still plenty of time and plenty of cold air in place over NC so its to early to worry just yet in your neck of the woods but you really want to see the southern piece stay south and faster and not hook up with the ULL till it get another 100-150 miles further east at least than what is currently modeled...maybe all that convection down there will anchor the low ad drag it more east and not let it go that far north......it would require the models to be pretty off in the very near range though for that to happen so....one caveat would be the front end thump getting in here quicker if we can get that in here in the next 8-12 hrs it could be a quick 3-5" snow for you and even a few inches for me....before the coastal gets going and scrubs the cold out.  

Um, the 00z NAM isn't much different than the 18z NAM... We already knew the NAM was warmer than the other models.

It's definitely a huge difference for AVL. Probably not for GSO, but it was for us. 

It's probably way too far north. Out of region meteorologists doesn't seem to buy this.

It's definitely a huge difference for AVL. Probably not for GSO, but it was for us.

It's probably way too far north. Out of region meteorologists doesn't seem to buy this.

It actually is here, too, now that I look more into it. 750-800 mb torches after a few hours. Hmm. Raging sleet fest after a few inches of snow to start.

Wedge versus weak over running equals wedge that stays in place longer than modeled

Wedge versus strong surface low close to coast equals wedge that goes poof faster than modeled

For what ever reason the models see it backwards they scrub out a wedge to fast with weak over running and dig it in when there is a strong SLP on the coast.....there is still plenty of time and plenty of cold air in place over NC so its to early to worry just yet in your neck of the woods but you really want to see the southern piece stay south and faster and not hook up with the ULL till it get another 100-150 miles further east at least than what is currently modeled...maybe all that convection down there will anchor the low ad drag it more east and not let it go that far north......it would require the models to be pretty off in the very near range though for that to happen so....one caveat would be the front end thump getting in here quicker if we can get that in here in the next 8-12 hrs it could be a quick 3-5" snow for you and even a few inches for me....before the coastal gets going and scrubs the cold out.

That's a really good post and really illustrates all of the dynamics involved here. Lots of possibilities on the table, but without a strong high, I'm always somewhat suspicious. It's why my guess was not crazy high for this area. We'll see....

I smell another bust for the Greenville area! I swear man, we'd be better off using the 1982 weather technology than what we have today. Bring back Charlie Gertz!!! You longtime Greenville folks know who I'm talking about. He didn't have all these computer Models to forecast from, but I swear he did better than the Mets we have now.

Archived