Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in Hoboken (and work in NYC), so I'm pretty close to the coast. The only areas that really killed it during this period are central and Eastern LI. That is a very small section of this subforum.

You are correct, this period is not over yet. But I'm not going to get my hopes up for a D7 storm.

I suppose it's all relative. I think close to 30" area wide, more on Long Island is pretty good thus far.

I suppose it's all relative. I think close to 30" area wide, more on Long Island is pretty good thus far.

Not just LI. We, in Queens, are doing very well near JFK 37 inches. No complaints here. In a way its the best of both of boh worlds: warmth and snow. Im fine with that and frankly dont know anyone who enjoys highs in the teens. Yes, exciting to maybe hit 0 but so long as it is a short spell like whats comin up

12z navgem and gfs wanna develop a low south of long island for Saturday.

Ecmwf says no way with the low power far south

Cmc has a low as well, further south though just missing us. Similar to ecmwf.

Jma has the low as well,further west this run though.

32km nam is further north, with snows just scrapping montauk.

12km nam further north as well, lower pressure, has snow in the area,leaving to much if anything though.

4km nam doesn't go far enough.

Gefs has a low, further north, looks to affect mainly Suffolk county. Putting roughly 0.15-0.20 using the 24HR. Precipitation accumulations.

The ensemble looks too be a bit north/west.

At hour 72, almost looks like it tries to place a low by cape cod, but not 100% if that's what it means.

Looking at the geps, for some reason unable to look at the last 2 00z runs, hasn't loaded for some reason.

But I'm pretty sure its east a bit.

Ensemble is east as well.

Not just LI. We, in Queens, are doing very well near JFK 37 inches. No complaints here. In a way its the best of both of boh worlds: warmth and snow. Im fine with that and frankly dont know anyone who enjoys highs in the teens. Yes, exciting to maybe hit 0 but so long as it is a short spell like whats comin up

Yep I'm a few miles west of you and I'm at 35 inches YTD

I'm glad these threats for the coastal and inverted trough are done with. Yesterday morning and this morning each had a light sugar coating, amounting to .25" total if I'm lucky. Didn't even bother logging it in the book.

This cold snap is interesting, but after that hopefully the brutal cold stays away.

Holy smokes. The prospects for winter has just degraded from grim to grave in just 24 hours.

Out of respect for BxEngine, I have posted the 12z Euro Day 10 map:

ecmwf_T850_us_10.png

Look at those +20c and above 850 temps emerging from the South. That has got to be a record for mid-February. When this unmitigated torch spreads eastward, we will likely endure a March 2012 on steroids, starting from 2/20 and lasting thru next month.

We will likely not get any assistance from the Atlantic as the AO and NAO will probably remain positive.

Worst news of all: Isotherm who is normally bullish has just cast extreme doubt on the stratospheric perturbations. His posts today are like a funeral gathering and appears to be on the verge of waving the white flag regarding Feb/Mar.

Holy smokes. The prospects for winter has just degraded from grim to grave in just 24 hours.

ecmwf_T850_us_10.png

Look at those +20c and above 850 temps emerging from the South. That has got to be a record for mid-February. When this unmitigated torch spreads eastward, we will likely endure a March 2012 on steroids, starting from 2/20 and lasting thru next month.

We will likely not get any assistance from the Atlantic as the AO and NAO will probably remain positive.

Worst news of all: Isotherm who is normally bullish has just cast extreme doubt on the stratospheric perturbations. His posts today are like a funeral gathering and appears to be on the verge of waving the white flag regarding Feb/Mar.

How about you answer the questions I asked yesterday

ecmwf_T850_us_10.png

You would be surprised but that isn't a record at all, it's been 95-100 before in southern Texas in mid to late February I saw 96 in OKC on March 1 06. Those areas generally see their winter peak early relative to the eastern part of the nation, their climo numbers for dailies rise markedly after 1/25 vs what they do here or in the southeast

If you told somebody back in October that JFK would go +12.6 in December and then surpass January 1996

snowfall they would have just laughed.

...RECORD MONTHLY AVERAGE TEMPERATURE SET AT KENNEDY NY FORDECEMBER...A RECORD MONTHLY AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF 50.3 DEGREES WAS SET ATKENNEDY NY FOR DECEMBER. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 43.9 SET INDECEMBER 1984.
...RECORD JANUARY MONTHLY SNOWFALL SET AT KENNEDY NY...RECORD SNOWFALL FOR THE MONTH JANUARY OF 31.3 INCHES WAS SET ATKENNEDY NY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 23.0 INCHES IN 1996.

Very cold again 2/26--03/01   and from  03/04--03/08, otherwise near normal or somewhat+  starting the 17th.   Also warm starting 3/11.  I like March 05--06 for a final large scale snow event.

Is that per Accuweather? One thing I've noticed in the long range is that the data runs very cold. Not that I ever look at those forecasts :whistle:

Archived