joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol:     I remember that like it was yesterday. The best(worst) one I can remember, was dropping below zero out here from the damn radiational cooling one morning. Pouring rain later that afternoon. Don't remember the exact date.

Yeah, there were some epic radiational cooling events during the 80's out in Suffolk.

That 4/6/82 storm was pretty fantastic.  What about the Easter storm in 79(?) I think it was.  We got pounded in Oceanside where I grew up and had days off from school.

The only other spring storm that stands out in my memory during the 80's was the March 84 coastal flooding

event on a school day. I can remember the tide and waves coming up on the road behind the Long Beach

High School. The pond which connected to Reynolds Channel flooded the whole football field. The storm

force winds sounded great from the top floor of the school blowing against the huge windows that extended 

from floor to ceiling.

If I remember right we got screwed in that event by a funky dry slot wrapping into where the coma head zone should have been. 

One of the main problems was that it was just a fraction too warm...elevated spots did fantastic...the NWS has redone most of their websites, so locating the old PNS is problematic...but I did find a map that gives people some sense of the snowfall distribution:

01apr97_snowfall.gif

There was like 5 misses that month to the south or east and northwest, it was crazy.  Its probably a near impossibility to repeat a Dec Jan or Feb that cold in NYC and have that little snow.

the only other month I can think of with very cold temperatures and little snow was February 1968...if not for a rain to snow event the evening of the 29th NYC would have had only a trace...It did pick up 1.1" before midnight and the storm ended as a 6.6" wet snow event on March 1st...

the only other month I can think of with very cold temperatures and little snow was February 1968...if not for a rain to snow event the evening of the 29th NYC would have had only a trace...It did pick up 1.1" before midnight and the storm ended as a 6.6" wet snow event on March 1st...

saved by a leap year

Speaking of leap years, it's time to break that crappy leap day record of 1.1".

It sticks out like a sore thumb.

http://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Climate/Almanacs/nyc/nycfeb.pdf

that was a rain to snow event that eventually added up to 6.6" from 2/29-3/1/1968...It started as rain before dark and changed to wet snow later in the evening...

2/29 snowfalls...

1.1" in 1968

0.5" in 1960

0.3" in 1876 est...

0.2" in 1964

Yeah, there were some epic radiational cooling events during the 80's out in Suffolk.

The only other spring storm that stands out in my memory during the 80's was the March 84 coastal flooding

event on a school day. I can remember the tide and waves coming up on the road behind the Long Beach

High School. The pond which connected to Reynolds Channel flooded the whole football field. The storm

force winds sounded great from the top floor of the school blowing against the huge windows that extended 

from floor to ceiling.

I was a senior that year and was the #2 man on the golf team.  We played the Lido course occasionally for practice, our home course was Middle Bay in Oceanside, and both courses went underwater in that storm so we had to scramble for early season practices for a few weeks until they recovered.  It also put a hurt on my cash income because I caddied at Middle Bay on the weekends.

One of the main problems was that it was just a fraction too warm...elevated spots did fantastic...the NWS has redone most of their websites, so locating the old PNS is problematic...but I did find a map that gives people some sense of the snowfall distribution:

01apr97_snowfall.gif

One of my all time favorite storms, definitely top ten.  Warm and beautiful during the day, trees had fully leafed out and everything was blooming.  It started raining around dinnertime and by 8pm it was dumping.  By a little after midnight we had 17" of glue that was stuck to everything.  Trees were snapping so loudly it sounded like lightning!  We had one come down on the power line to the house that I had to get off before it tore the line down or set the house on fire.  I was on a ladder in the snow using a broom and a rake to lever it off.  Fun stuff NOT.  The neighbor lost his car when a tree crushed it and my (dead end) street was blocked for two days before the town and NYSEG could get someone up here to cut the mess out.

I was a senior that year and was the #2 man on the golf team.  We played the Lido course occasionally for practice, our home course was Middle Bay in Oceanside, and both courses went underwater in that storm so we had to scramble for early season practices for a few weeks until they recovered.  It also put a hurt on my cash income because I caddied at Middle Bay on the weekends.

One of my all time favorite storms, definitely top ten.  Warm and beautiful during the day, trees had fully leafed out and everything was blooming.  It started raining around dinnertime and by 8pm it was dumping.  By a little after midnight we had 17" of glue that was stuck to everything.  Trees were snapping so loudly it sounded like lightning!  We had one come down on the power line to the house that I had to get off before it tore the line down or set the house on fire.  I was on a ladder in the snow using a broom and a rake to lever it off.  Fun stuff NOT.  The neighbor lost his car when a tree crushed it and my (dead end) street was blocked for two days before the town and NYSEG could get someone up here to cut the mess out.

I remember the co-op at Carmel and the one just south of there at Yorktown Heights were in the foot and a half range...

I was cursed at by many mid atlantic posters on another forum because I said that norlun troughs usually trend north over time. I guess truth hurts sometimes.

Actually you said "the RGEM is North" leading those folks to believe they get shafted when in fact they still see accumulating snow. Everyone just needs to chill, please. We all knew this system would be touch-and-go and wasnt going to be a MECS. Just take it for what it us. Temper expectations, enjoy whatever snow u get.

Idk. All I saw was a lot of crying tbh.

Yeh but it`s a no no .  You can never drive by and drop a bomb like that  and not expected to get a rock thrown back at you .

They are fighting  off warm air and rain  right now and the last thing they want was him telling them what they kinda saw  for tomorrow .

Mitch is a good guy , he popped in a lot in the ENSO thread  this year and was always easy going   So for him to get pissed then ANT def rubbed them the wrong way .

Yeh but it`s a no no . You can never drive by and drop a bomb like that and not expected to get a rock thrown back at you .

They are fighting off warm air and rain right now and the last thing they want was him telling them what they kinda saw for tomorrow .

Mitch is a good guy , he popped in a lot in the ENSO thread this year and was always easy going So for him to get pissed then ANT def rubbed them the wrong way .

People overreacted.

And yea, Mitch is a great guy lol.

I dont blame them. Waltzing in there and dropping a "rgem is north" is a jackass move. The Other bs that followed is what pissed me off, but i was originally going in there to try to smooth things over.

I should have said it was north for up here. I didnt explain myself. I apologized. It was a really terrible move.

Actually you said "the RGEM is North" leading those folks to believe they get shafted when in fact they still see accumulating snow. Everyone just needs to chill, please. We all knew this system would be touch-and-go and wasnt going to be a MECS. Just take it for what it us. Temper expectations, enjoy whatever snow u get.

Agree.Lets all enjoy the snow because it's the only snow that we got.

I should have said it was north for up here. I didnt explain myself. I apologized. It was a really terrible move.

Dude who cares. All they had to do was look at the model themselves. Obviously in hindsight it wasn't the best move but it's not the end of the world.

Archived