Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

Wow, even more grim news today:

NYC will be lucky to see an inch from the IVT. Some people should've paid attention to the Euro. That model totally scored a coup with Joaquin and February 2013. Those who favored the other models instead got burned.

NYC may not get into the single digits this weekend due to the lack of snowcover.

This will have a snowball effect next week in which there will be no CAD to prevent the storm next week from cutting. The Euro/EPS will most likely verify.

12z Euro/EPS absolutely torches us after the 20th.

So much for this "epic" period being advertised as we already see misery just as we entered this "favorable" pattern.

Most long range forecast called for a loaded back 1/2 of the winter :pimp:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, even more grim news today:

NYC will be lucky to see an inch from the IVT. Some people should've paid attention to the Euro. That model totally scored a coup with Joaquin and February 2013. Those who favored the other models instead got burned.

Just a gentle suggestion...I gravely doubt that one board member in ten can differentiate between any of those Greco-Roman mythological names which the TWC has chosen to bestow upon the various snow events that traverse the nation...it would be helpful if you just tell us the date of the storm you are talking about.   

Just a gentle suggestion...I gravely doubt that one board member in ten can differentiate between any of those Greco-Roman mythological names which the TWC has chosen to bestow upon the various snow events that traverse the nation...it would be helpful if you just tell us the date of the storm you are talking about.

Joaquin was a major hurricane :)

And yea those Weather Channel winter storm names are awful.

PB did a very excellent job of predicting the onset of this snowy and cold period...out on the Long Island, I measured 38 inches of snow in a 16 day period...that's just the length of the GFS run...384 hours.  Marquette Michigan would be hard pressed to see so much snow in such a brief window of time.

and the majority of the area hasnt seen much

Hurricane names will never catch on.

We had 6 - 10 inches of snow across the region last March 5.  What was it's name?  The blizzard of 2015 late last January that disappointed folks west of LI was nonetheless memorable.  But I suppose if it wasn't called Nemo we'd all forget it.

While they are going through Roman names they should use some of these:

PB did a very excellent job of predicting the onset of this snowy and cold period...out on the Long Island, I measured 38 inches of snow in a 16 day period...that's just the length of the GFS run...384 hours.  Marquette Michigan would be hard pressed to see so much snow in such a brief window of time.

Thank you Pam. Glad you are back.

You guys have had a great run . I think you squeeze out 2 more tonight and round it off to 40 .

The 17th may have some front end too it but probably has some rain with it as well .

After we warm up for 5 days I think we end this with another favorable period.

I would not be shocked if you guys end with 60 before all is said on done.

We had 6 - 10 inches of snow across the region last March 5. What was it's name? The blizzard of 2015 late last January that disappointed folks west of LI was nonetheless memorable. But I suppose if it wasn't called Nemo we'd all forget it.

While they are going through Roman names they should use some of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMGu-55sKJs

The only winter storm names I remember are Nemo and Juno. I have no idea what the blizzard we had in January was named.

Seasonal Snowfall 2015-16 Winter
Through February 10th, 2016 / About 1:00 AM

JFK: 37.7"

Islip: 37.1"
Newark: 32.8"
LGA: 32.2"

NWS Upton: 32.1"
Central Park: 29.8"
Bridgeport: 22.7"

and the majority of the area hasnt seen much

The period was the 5th thru the 20th .

We have 6 so far inside this period down in CNJ .

The N shore of Long Island received 15.

Many outside NYC probably go to 0 this weekend.

We have a shot at a day 7 storm.

If you miss dem the breaks kid.

The period was the 5th thru the 20th .

We have 6 so far inside this period down in CNJ .

The N shore of Long Island received 15.

Many outside NYC probably go to 0 this weekend.

We have a shot at a day 7 storm.

If you miss dem the breaks kid.

PB: you are one of the best posters on here; however, when most of the region has missed on virtually every storm during this time period, it's hard to consider this period a success. Yes, it was a success on LI.

Of course, I'm still ok with it all, as the blizzard was enough to satisfy me, even if we don't get more storms.

PB: you are one of the best posters on here; however, when most of the region has missed on virtually every storm during this time period, it's hard to consider this period a success. Yes, it was a success on LI.

Of course, I'm still ok with it all, as the blizzard was enough to satisfy me, even if we don't get more storms.

What do you mean most of the region? I think more of this sub forum got snow over those who didn't.

I did post on the 5th - 20th  period  back on Jan 29 .  Now if the 5th thru the  20 th  turned out sunny and mild I would say wow a sht forecast . 

CNJ and LI have done well . In NINO years the coast is always wetter . - EPO likes to force the cold  to the coast .

It should not be a surprise to those N and W  that the bigger precip anomalies are on the coast .

The guidance was screaming that since SEPT .

But there were and still are several chances to produce .. Will they all  ? No .. Will some miss all ? Probably 

I can only give you my free opinion , so take it at face value .

Most go to 0 this weekend and there is a D7  storm before we turn warm again for a week .

However I can not tell you what D 7 is yet .

I did post on the 5th - 20th period back on Jan 29 . Now if the 5th thru the 20 th turned out sunny and mild I would say wow a sht forecast .

CNJ and LI have done well . In NINO years the coast is always wetter . - EPO likes to force the cold to the coast .

It should not be a surprise to those N and W that the bigger precip anomalies are on the coast .

The guidance was screaming that since SEPT .

But there were and still are several chances to produce .. Will they all ? No .. Will some miss all ? Probably

I can only give you my free opinion , so take it at face value .

Most go to 0 this weekend and there is a D7 storm before we turn warm again for a week .

However I can not tell you what D 7 is yet .

I'm in Hoboken (and work in NYC), so I'm pretty close to the coast. The only areas that really killed it during this period are central and Eastern LI. That is a very small section of this subforum.

You are correct, this period is not over yet. But I'm not going to get my hopes up for a D7 storm.

I'm in Hoboken (and work in NYC), so I'm pretty close to the coast. The only areas that really killed it during this period are central and Eastern LI. That is a very small section of this subforum.

You are correct, this period is not over yet. But I'm not going to get my hopes up for a D7 storm.

But most of the area got a decent 3-5" event last week when just 2 days prior it looked like nothing west of NYC

Archived