joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as usual, ne ga and the upstate are pretty much riding the liquid/frozen ice/snow line lol. i should be used to it. amazing how close it can be and just one or two degrees either way making all the difference.

not sure if i have seen them do this, but gsp is having a q/a session on the storm today lol

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=201601211345-KGSP-NOUS42-PNSGSP

I think at minimum u get a ton of ice then several inches of snow. Rgem is really bullish and earlier runs of the Nam look very cold at 925 to 950mb for Ne ga, sc. In fact rgem gives a most of northeast ga respectable amounts of freezing rain now...even down to near athens before going over to snow.

Lookout, if available, please give your assessment/thoughts for East Central GA, NE GA, and Northwest SC - this area seems to be the most difficult to forecast at this time - also, there seems to be some disagreement between GSP and CAE

Very tough call on how far south major icing occurs. . I'm tossing the 12z Nam since convection might be causing too much warming and it's out of step with its prior runs and trends on the other models. Rgem is a big one even for areas south of 85. Normally it's best to go with the coldest but I wonder if it might be a touch too cold since it starts out so much cooler upstream in nc which might be overdone. Regardless thoughts haven't really changed much from earlier. Watch those temps tonight and I don't think it will take long to find out if the rgem is more likely to be right

I'm not buying the freezing rain output it has over the mtns, never seen the foothills have all snow and the mtns snow/freezing rain.

I have, more than once. CAD gets pushed up against the blue ridge and keep the entire coloum cold enough for all snow or snow/sleet combo. I've seen all snow in Marion an rain in Asheville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically all-snow in the Triad. Coldest GFS run yet... awesome. I'm glad I live in western Guilford a County for this one! :)

Yes, looks golden for your area. We are close to the same latitude, but it looks like this area might be saved from too much zr only by going above freezing for a bit! I'll take it if it keeps the power on. 

Thankful that we at least have a system that is productive for most of us.  :)

What in the world is wrong with the SREF?  For RDU, some members have temps in the 40s near 50.

I guess we can throw that out?

It's running warm. Several SREF members pop a decent amount of ice pellets in Roanoke and Blacksburg - the rest of the model suites are basically all snow here now.

Here's what I've got for Charlotte after analyzing the GFS soundings

Friday

1AM – 32, sleet/snow

4AM – 29, snow

7AM – 28, snow

10AM – 26, snow

1PM – 26, sleet

4PM – 30, sleet

7PM – 29, light freezing rain/drizzle (shallow moisture)

10PM – 28, light freezing rain/drizzle (shallow moisture)

Saturday

1AM - 28, light freezing rain/drizzle (shallow moisture)

4AM – 28, light snow

7AM – 29, light snow

10AM – 32, light snow

What in the world is wrong with the SREF?  For RDU, some members have temps in the 40s near 50.

I guess we can throw that out?

I think its a hunk of junk.  Has ridiculous spread at short lead times. Somehow its qpf mean usually comes out pretty good which is the only think I really use it for.

Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I'm not buying the freezing rain output it has over the mtns, never seen the foothills have all snow and the mtns snow/freezing rain.

I have, more than once. CAD gets pushed up against the blue ridge and keep the entire coloum cold enough for all snow or snow/sleet combo. I've seen all snow in Marion an rain in Asheville.

Asheville is another story compared to the northern mtns though, Asheville is weird and almost not like the mtns at times. I guess I'll be more precise, I've never seen freezing rain in Boone and snow in Lenoir.

Can't recall I've ever seen all rain in Asheville and gone down the mountain to all snow. I've seen freezing rain and sleet in the French Broad River Valley, and gone down the mountain to snow, but never as drastic as you listed.

sure is, colder too. identical to the gfs at hr30. looks like snow for rdu west. great look.

[sNIPPED IMAGE]

Yep, crushed. Good to see it trend significantly colder versus past runs. I'm really starting to feel like this one is going to be a memorable storm here for a long, long time, as long as mixing doesn't kill us (but the models are trending south/colder for now).

Get your questions ready folks. NWS-GSP is hosting a Q&A session from 12-1pm EST today.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC
845 AM EST THU JAN 21 2016

...SOCIAL MEDIA QUESTION AND ANSWER SESSION TODAY FROM NOON TO 1
PM EST...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREER SOUTH CAROLINA WILL HOLD A
SOCIAL MEDIA QUESTION AND ANSWER SESSION TODAY BETWEEN NOON AND 1
PM EASTERN STANDARD TIME TO ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT THE UPCOMING
MAJOR WINTER STORM. SPECIFIC QUESTIONS ABOUT THE UPCOMING WINTER
STORM CAN BE TWEETED TO @NWSGSP OR QUESTIONS CAN BE POSTED TO OUR
NWSGSP FACEBOOK PAGE. WE WILL DO OUR BEST TO ANSWER ALL THE
INQUIRIES IN A TIMELY FASHION.

WHEN POSTING...PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR LOCATION AND KEEP YOUR QUESTION
CONCISE SO THAT WE CAN ASSIST AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE IN THE
ALLOTTED TIME. THE LATEST FORECAST INFORMATION REGARDING THE
UPCOMING MAJOR WINTER STORM CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON OUR WEB PAGE AT
WEATHER.GOV/GSP. CHECK THIS PAGE FREQUENTLY OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS TO
SEE THE LATEST UPDATES.

$

GERAPETRITIS

Yep, crushed. Good to see it trend significantly colder versus past runs. I'm really starting to feel like this one is going to be a memorable storm here for a long, long time, as long as iing doesn't kill us (but the models are trending south/colder for now).

great to see the 12z suite (minus the  nam) trend colder and snowier.  almost in range for the short range models now.  looks as if the ice threat is increasing firther south as well, esp in upper sc.

Asheville is another story compared to the northern mtns though, Asheville is weird and almost not like the mtns at times. I guess I'll be more precise, I've never seen freezing rain in Boone and snow in Lenoir.

City proper is heavily influenced by sitting in the FB River Valley and having the Balsams to it's west. It's the driest city in the state, yet down the road in Toxaway/Cashiers/Highlands, it is the wettest area in the state.

Here's what I've got for Charlotte after analyzing the GFS soundings

Friday

1AM – 32, sleet/snow

4AM – 29, snow

7AM – 28, snow

10AM – 26, snow

1PM – 26, sleet

4PM – 30, sleet

7PM – 29, light freezing rain/drizzle (shallow moisture)

10PM – 28, light freezing rain/drizzle (shallow moisture)

Saturday

1AM - 28, light freezing rain/drizzle (shallow moisture)

4AM – 28, light snow

7AM – 29, light snow

10AM – 32, light snow

Wow, thanks Grit. That would be outstanding! I'll take 9 hours of snow on Friday and run. Great temps too! Seems like the GFS and RGEM have been trending more snow/sleet for 85 north.

The Saturday stuff is precarious imo, I don't think we get much once the low is off the coast to our east.

EDIT: Man, the cmc looks awesome too 85 north.let's keep this look please!!

great to see the 12z suite (minus the  nam) trend colder and snowier.  almost in range for the short range models now.  looks as if the ice threat is increasing firther south as well, esp in upper sc.

The NAM definitely trended colder and snowier too. NAM/GFS/RGEM/GGEM all did.

Sounding is just a smidge warmer at CLT. Solid snow sounding at 30 north and west of the airport.

I have a feeling now that the models are all aligning that CLT for once might cash in. I refuse to believe 3 inches of sleet. I think this is either going to be one of those crushing ZR events or a big snow event. As usual we are right on the line but could it really sleet for like 10 hours straight, especially under heavy returns? I doubt it. 

Archived