joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like all-snow for the Triad through hr 24, looking at the soundings, though the soundings couldn't get any closer, to say the least.

By hr 27, it's clearly a sleet sounding, with a strong warm nose in the 800-850 mb range.  Temps are below freezing below 850 mb and very, very cold, so I think it is definitely PL rather than ZR, however.  Same for HKY.

There is your watch for Atlanta. Flood watch overlapping areas in a winter storm warning lol.

dang. I totally forgot about the flooding aspect of this storm. Flooding may be our biggest worry in the I-20 corridor. Forget snow and ice ! Not many people on here have talked about the flooding risk with this system. All the talk seems to be snow or ice.

The NAM has a pretty potent warm nose in the 750-850 mb range which is hard to diagnose just looking at the 850 mb 0C charts.  You really need to look at soundings.

Nevertheless, a lot of areas do seem to hang onto snow for awhile (~18z tomorrow).  Good run.  The Triangle is below freezing throughout, as well.

I don't think the GFS had such a potent warm nose, so I am not sure if the NAM is just overdoing it or if it's picking up on something the lower-resolution GFS cannot.

So my understanding is that freezing rain is self-limiting, especially if it's coming down heavily. GSP seems to allude to this in their discussion. Does anybody know how the math on this works? I'm guessing there are a ton of factors at work.

THE WARM NOSE WILL WEAKEN AND THE BARRIER JET WILL TAKE OVER BRINGING IN  
COOLER TEMPS...ALLOWING PRECIP TO TRANSITION TO FREEZING RAIN. COULD  
SEE UP TO A HALF INCH...POSSIBLY EVEN HIGHER...ALTHOUGH THAT WOULD  
BE APPROACHING THE PHYSICAL LIMIT...ACROSS THE I-85 CORRIDOR AND ERN  
UPSTATE PIEDMONT.

Archived