• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

Fishel:  Over 90% of precipitation with this storm will fall during a 12 hour period from early tomorrow morning to early tomorrow evening

We will likely go from no precipitation to heavy snow in the triangle area in a matter of 15-30 min. We will get down to business quickly!

Accumulations will be tough to call because of a deep layer of near freezing air aloft. A one degree C change anywhere in that layer is huge

That's when temps will be their coldest (...at least for our area).

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caution on these snow totals especially east of I-77...and you all know this.  Likely they are overdone because major WAA will cause a sleet storm for many.  If you look at the KU storms very very few of them have insane snow totals for NC because of WAA.  (exception might be Jan 1987).  Still fun as heck!

GSP addressed this a little while ago in their social media briefing. They are not worried about it because of the reinforcing cold that will be coming in from the northeast.

Yeah, full sun until now, the thick lower clouds coming in, gonna be hard to drop fast, wedge or not! Nobody likes sacrificing .25-.5 QPF , to rain

Someone in the midlands of SC is gonna get their clock cleaned. It probably won't make it to Columbia but if I was in Winnsboro or Newberry...

So close yet so far away.  If it snows that close to here we may have to take a ride to chase it.  How far north of Irmo going up 26 or 77 will see at least 2-3" of accumulation?

So close yet so far away.  If it snows that close to here we may have to take a ride to chase it.  How far north of Irmo going up 26 or 77 will see at least 2-3" of accumulation?

If you wanna chase, head to Charlotte. They are supposed to get pounded. Only an hour drive.

Caution on these snow totals especially east of I-77...and you all know this.  Likely they are overdone because major WAA will cause a sleet storm for many.  If you look at the KU storms very very few of them have insane snow totals for NC because of WAA.  (exception might be Jan 1987).  Still fun as heck!

Why are you so sure the WAA will be so big? Its strength/impact seems to have continually decreased as models continue their southward trend, and to me it appears to be unlikely that it would be underdone by the models, given this southward trend.

lol....true.  So since we are certainly within 24 hours of sensible weather starting, I know there are models that handle shorter range better.  Which are those? 

NWS said during their chat session that the NAM tends to handle CAD events well, but I think they were primarily referring to temps, though that's probably the most important thing for us anyway.

Does anyone have euro forecasted qpf output? Not sure if it was posted didn't see it anyhow and James is probably still in a coma from being up all last night with me lol.

ROA was around 1.7".  A bit less than the 00z run for most of VA (though still plenty).  QPF in most of NC stayed about the same. 

Guys, I'm not familiar with the dynamics of your forum.  I need a met from your region for radio show representation tonight.  Is there anybody I should reach out to in particular?

Allan Huffman (RaleighWx), Matthew East (msuwx), or Chris Simmons (deltadog).  Maybe even Robert (foothillsnc/wxsouth), though he doesn't come around here much anymore (he did one of the radio shows in 2010, IIRC).  We also have Cheeznado from N GA and HurricaneTracker from WNC.  I am probably leaving out some.

Jan '87 is the only storm I can remember that gave Eden, NC over a foot of snow without much if any in the way of sleet or freezing rain. The only other events of a foot or more that I can recall were March '93 and Jan. '96. Both of those systems had several hours of sleet which cut the potential accumulations down.

As beautiful as the snowfall accumulation maps look for Rockingham County, NC right now, based on personal experience only, I am not expecting more than 10" from this system. There will likely be an extended period of sleet mixing in due to the warm nose sneaking in, and if that doesn't cut back the forecast totals; another concern is the energy transferring to the coast to fast. I have seen this many times in situations like this and it often results in the heaviest axis of precipitation shifting east a lot faster than the models show.

It will be a lot of fun to see how this system plays out either way.

Archived