Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Atlantic Hurricane Season General Discussion

Solak

24 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Not saying I want one. Just wondering if it would be a threat this time around. I know sometimes there is a tornado threat with tropical systems.

Yes there is a tornado threat. TWC saying significant tornado threat. SPC also has a slight risk out.

This week has been crazy for me with Tropical cyclones. Lionrock hit Japan which is where one of the bases I forecast for is located and they got 17 inches of rain and 81kt winds. Two hurricanes are headed towards us in Hawaii. And Waycross is under a tropical storm watch and slight risk for tornadoes.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, SnowDeac said:

They are wrong. With a trough pushing east, there's no way this thing takes that much of a northerly/westerly track. The surface low is also likely well SE of where currently modeled. See Brad P's most recent vlog (can't embed) for further details.

Its not so much about the trough pushing east, it is the timing of the system coming north, if it comes in slower (as is being projected now) it will miss the trough and be free to come further north and also slow down. Some models show it stalling off the Mid-Atlantic coast due to a blocking high to the north also..

24 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Thanks.  I did check the tropical thread, but I couldn't find any info on the inland winds.  I wouldn't think we'd see much sustained above 30s.  I could see some gusts into the 40s.

Interesting to note that both the gfs/Canadian are showing an increase of 850mb-925mb  winds on the north/northwest side of the system after landfall...generally between 50 and 65 knots.

Nice surprise to see such a shift north with this system...sure looked like it was going to be a near miss for a while.

gem_mslp_uv850_seus_10.pnggem_mslp_uv850_seus_11.png

gfs_mslp_uv850_seus_13.png

4km nam.

nam4km_mslp_uv850_seus_44.png

23 minutes ago, SnowDeac said:

They are wrong. With a trough pushing east, there's no way this thing takes that much of a northerly/westerly track. The surface low is also likely well SE of where currently modeled. See Brad P's most recent vlog (can't embed) for further details.

The models are picking up on the slower storm progression, thus allowing it to not get kicked out to sea by the trough. This allows it to basically absorb into the ridge and slowly drift NNE through the SE.

3 minutes ago, SnowDeac said:

Multiple mets stating that the GFS/CMC initialized with the SLP well NW of where it currently is. That, combining with the slower timing, causing the NW shift.

We try to use this one in winter, with winter storms, too.  It never matters.

And Lookout, yeah I agree with you.  If we get some robust convection, we could see some good gusts with this thing.

Bet the 5pm discussion will be interesting with this 12z shift west. If it does ride up and just west of I 95 that should increase a tornado threat for a much larger area over the southeast. Never know what to think about surface winds when storms track inland like this. Only time I ever remember strong winds was with Danny as it reintesnsified while crossing over NC.

1 hour ago, Lookout said:

Interesting to note that both the gfs/Canadian are showing an increase of 850mb-925mb  winds on the north/northwest side of the system after landfall...generally between 50 and 65 knots.

Nice surprise to see such a shift north with this system...sure looked like it was going to be a near miss for a while.

4km nam.

If this were to verify I would imagine your area would be quite windy with possibly a tornado risk. If it keeps shifting north we will see some good rain here as well.

Archived