Newest Member
    joxey
Pats/Chiefs Miller B-elichick

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes mark

Well I wonder if the primary is weakening more quickly and the seondary is taking over and thus we get less warming aloft and at the surface.

Again for me the  issue is intensity.  GFS had less than .5 qpf and it was warm.  If the Euro and NAM are right with more intensity then we should get a snowier outcome, perhaps all snow except for drizzle if the precip lightens up.

Well I wonder if the primary is weakening more quickly and the seondary is taking over and thus we get less warming aloft and at the surface.

Again for me the issue is intensity. GFS had less than .5 qpf and it was warm. If the Euro and NAM are right with more intensity then we should get a snowier outcome, perhaps all snow except for drizzle if the precip lightens up.

We are all hoping the Euro is right, I would say it probably is, It's been steadfast, If it is, It will prove its superiority once again

RGEM is still real toasty. It also may be because it doesn't seem like it gets a good CCB going like the Euro. 

4km NAM has the same problem...both it and the RGEM have way too much interference in the CCB from the primary low. That's not gonna get it done.

GFS makes me want to throw something. The atmosphere getting a new azzhole torn from it over my house and it's a furnace 850 and below. 

If that primary was a bit weaker/southwest, this would be like a foot of cement for a lot of our area. Talk about a synoptic turd in the punchbowl...about the only way that setup can fail.

this loosely reminds me of Dec 23, 1997 ...  

the vertical sigma is negatively differential on the NAM's FRH grid, both at BOS and ALB on the product, during max omega and intense short duration fall rates. 

many of you were probably not old enough to recall that, just as many of you were/are ... but that was the famed snow bomb storm that came out of left field for a lot of Mets and clocked interior zones from ORH up to SW Maine with incredible 5 to 8" per hour snow fall rates.  The ordeal was over with in just five or so hours ... but it fell to 24" in Pepperell Ma, with numerours 15" totals surrounding...most of which fell in just two to three hours mid event.   The snow fell straight down, small to moderate uniform aggregate sizes, with visibility a few feet and that is no embellishment!  I know ... I was there.

similarly ...but this is not to espouse this as an "analog" we have that same sort of vertical thermal profile, with a powerful IB pulse and associated wall of DPVA running up (potentiall) into an air mass that is colder in the lower thickness intervals than is modeled.  That was largely contributory back whence.  The night immediately prior to the event featured star light dead calm radiational cooling ..with vestigial high pressure still nosing down.  All models for some reason omitted that physicality and assumed a 33 sort of ordeal, with marginal ... they were just too warm given to that.  We dawned at 19 F over a large chunk of the area, and then clouds came in and capped that cold, with those colder 800mb being correct, the total vertical therms were thus colder than modeled given to the antecedence ... What was anticipated to be 2-5" in the ORH hills and cat's paws everywhere else, was actually a mid 20s choking thump.

This situation may or may not benefit from some rad cooling/conditionals like that .. .but, that aspect of negative temperature differential in the vertical, combined with an intense omega spike ...I'm wondering here   ;)

We'll see.  Could almost be a wet snow version of that one.

Edit, I see there's some product notification starting up so that's good imho -

this loosely reminds me of Dec 23, 1997 ...  

the vertical sigma is negatively differential on the NAM's FRH grid, both at BOS and ALB on the product, during max omega and intense short duration fall rates. 

many of you were probably not old enough to recall that, just as many of you were/are ... but that was the famed snow bomb storm that came out of left field for a lot of Mets and clocked interior zones from ORH up to SW Maine with incredible 5 to 8" per hour snow fall rates.  The ordeal was over with in just five or so hours ... but it fell to 24" in Pepperell Ma, with numerours 15" totals surround...most of which fell in just two to three hours mid event.   The snow fell straight down, small to moderate uniform aggregate sizes, with visibility a few feet and that is no embellishment!  I know ... I was there.

similarly ...but this is not to espouse this as an "analog" we have that same sort of vertical thermal profile, with a powerful IB pulse and associated wall of DPVA running up (potentiall) into an air mass that is colder in the lower thickness intervals than is modeled.  That was largely contributory back whence.  The night immediately prior to the event feature star light dead calm radiational cooling ..with vestigial high pressure still nosing down.  All models for some reason omitted that physicality and assumed a 33 sort of ordeal, with marginal ... they were just too warm given to that.  We dawned at 19 F over a large chunk of the area, and then clouds came in and capped that cold, with those colder 800mb being correct, the total vertical therms were thus colder than modeled given to the antecedence ... 

This situation may or may not benefit from some rad cooling/conditionals like that .. .but, that aspect of negative temperature differential in the vertical, combined with an intense omega spike ...I'm wonder here   ;)

We'll see.  

low 20s here now with dews in the mid teens.  And a lot of juice coming up from the southeast.  6z gfs gave me less than .5qpf and i dont believe that.  perhaps the reason it goes above 0 at 925mb

Archived