• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pats/Chiefs Miller B-elichick

40/70 Benchmark

I would watch it for you guys and down into areas like nrn ORH county..maybe even NE MA. If the GFS is right, have to respect dynamics too. But overall it wraps in air that's too mild for a lot of spots. 

It's confusing reading what is in this thread and what GYX is writing.  Maybe we will be cold enough but there will be not enough precip.  I think this afternoon and tomorrow we could still see a helpful trend in track or temps.  The GYX met talks about a building ridge at 110W so perhaps that helps depending upon how much it builds.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's confusing reading what is in this thread and what GYX is writing.  Maybe we will be cold enough but there will be not enough precip.  I think this afternoon and tomorrow we could still see a helpful trend in track or temps.  The GYX met talks about a building ridge at 110W so perhaps that helps depending upon how much it builds.

Well it depends on where you live, in this thread. Certainly for you I would watch it, but no denying it's kind of an ugly setup. 

You certainly should not be tossing in the towel, This is pretty damn close to a blue bomb, I'm on the edge here and a tic or two colder and its game on, The 06z GEFS was a weenie run for NNE over the next 10-15 days or so

You certainly should not be tossing in the towel, This is pretty damn close to a blue bomb, I'm on the edge here and a tic or two colder and its game on, The 06z GEFS was a weenie run for NNE over the next 10 days or so

What is confusing though is a lot of talk about tracks too far east, SE of the benchmark.  Perhaps a strong primary creates an area of instability as it connects with the coastal low...an inverted trough?

Thanks for the input.  It is tough in this board when SNE is getting depressed, and because I am not good at reading models.  I get all depressed and then realize maybe I shouldn't be so depressed.

What an awesome look out your window!  Still have the crust as a base to keep it all in place?  10 inches of snow changes everything....the look outside, your mood, and ultimately the outdoor fun that will result.  There has been a decent amount of snow central n nw maine up into quebec I think.

At least we have the wind of today to remind us it's winter.

Still hopeful that I might eek out a little snow up this way.....may as well break out the seed catalog.

19.1/8

You joke about the seed catalog but most farmers I know out here will start their indoor seeds in a few weeks.

Meanwhile I am not giving up hope on a little snow this weekend.

What is confusing though is a lot of talk about tracks too far east, SE of the benchmark.  Perhaps a strong primary creates an area of instability as it connects with the coastal low...an inverted trough?

Thanks for the input.  It is tough in this board when SNE is getting depressed, and because I am not good at reading models.  I get all depressed and then realize maybe I shouldn't be so depressed.

What an awesome look out your window!  Still have the crust as a base to keep it all in place?  10 inches of snow changes everything....the look outside, your mood, and ultimately the outdoor fun that will result.  There has been a decent amount of snow central n nw maine up into quebec I think.

Mahk, Honestly, I'm just starting to look at this one now, Pretty tied up with last nights as you know so i was not looking ahead and focused on that one...........lol, From what i have seen so far, Some models are tracking this BM and just inside, It looks like for up here over to NH and VT, That there is just enough cold air in place for this to be snow here with a mix and some rain along the coast, The ensembles on the Euro and GEFS seem to support a significant snow event for this region, So just follow along right now, The air mass is very marginal for the folks in SNE, The track of this storm would be a classic Nor 'easter for snow if it wasn't so warm down there, So i can see there pain being shut out so far for the most part this winter

You certainly should not be tossing in the towel, This is pretty damn close to a blue bomb, I'm on the edge here and a tic or two colder and its game on, The 06z GEFS was a weenie run for NNE over the next 10-15 days or so

There's been so many weenie runs and talks of weenie runs the last few weeks that we could fill a hot dog factory with them. First if the was the storm of the 10th that was suppose to "turn it all around" and now it's back again to sloppy cutters and toaster baths. I say we all just go for the record low seasonal snowfall and bring on Spring so we can talk about sun angles.

Until the interaction between the PV lobe and polar jet shortwave decreases, you are not going to get many good looking solutions.

The trend on the 00z suite was to increase this interaction which strengthened the primary and all of its associated conveyors.

Mahk, Honestly, I'm just starting to look at this one now, Pretty tied up with last nights as you know so i was not looking ahead and focused on that one...........lol, From what i have seen so far, Some models are tracking this BM and just inside, It looks like for up here over to NH and VT, That there is just enough cold air in place for this to be snow here with a mix and some rain along the coast, The ensembles on the Euro and GEFS seem to support a significant snow event for this region, So just follow along right now, The air mass is very marginal for the folks in SNE, The track of this storm would be a classic Nor 'easter for snow if it wasn't so warm down there, So i can see there pain being shut out so far for the most part this winter

Oh yes I understand their pain.  lol.  Been a long time since we have jacked on a good storm up here , despite the oft-hear "Congrats Dendrite".  I Good to hear your quick view; it melds with the GYX discussion overnight.  Let see how today's runs go, as this is happening in less than 72 hours.  Tomorrow morn we can peek at the RGEM.

Until the interaction between the PV lobe and polar jet shortwave decreases, you are not going to get many good looking solutions.

The trend on the 00z suite was to increase this interaction which strengthened the primary and all of its associated conveyors.

You think there's any chance we can still manage a flip back to snow in the higher terrain at some point?

Gotta love a bombing low tracking around the BM giving a drving rainstorm up into CNE in the middle of Winter.

Yes, we should all appreciate such things from a meteorological perspective. ; )

I'll be shocked if this pattern doesn't produce at least one warning event.

Although if the GFS were correct about this weekend's system it would feel like using up one of our silver bullets.

Yes, we should all appreciate such things from a meteorological perspective. ; )

Although if the GFS were correct about this weekend's system it would feel like using up one of our silver bullets.

its evolving , liking it very much 23rdish. 

Jeffafa take a GGEM JMA NAVY look and run, geezus what a plastering

The Canadian would be a Tulip Trouncer inland, but it's not right, never been right, and never will be right. 

EPS is more GFS like. Sounds like Op Euro was out to lunch.

Either way..best guess now is rain ending as snow. When it flips determines if it's flakes or can we flip early enough to at least get a few inches

Give the snow to the places that need it the most.  Ski/XC areas up north.

The Canadian would be a Tulip Trouncer inland, but it's not right, never been right, and never will be right. 

EPS is more GFS like. Sounds like Op Euro was out to lunch.

Either way..best guess now is rain ending as snow. When it flips determines if it's flakes or can we flip early enough to at least get a few inches

i was talking about interior Maine

What happened to Ray

Nothing.

You just have to know when to fold 'em, dude.

I think people would be better served to wonder what had "happened" to me had I kept blindly calling for a major snow event this weekend.

This doesn't make me feel differently about my winter outlook, no.

I still love my seasonal progression, but I'm sorry that I could not foresee a tad too much PV lobe interaction at a two month lead. :lol:

I still think that the second half rocks, and if it doesn't, then it will have been due to the bad luck associated with atmospheric chaos, not a bad forecasting rationale....though I will still grade my snowfall amounts as is.

Is this one  of those situations that could end up giving us a real "paste" snow? I mean where the temps are marginal enough at all levels to produce a high density type snowstorm (or snow to rain to snow) away from the coast? Could the secondary prove to be strong enough to pull in enough cold air to make this happen? 

I'm not looking for IMBY. I'm wondering about the meteorology here. It seems as if the primary is the villain, but would a stronger secondary relative to the primary change things, or, is the atmosphere just too warm for it to make a difference?

Having experienced (Feb 2010) cold rain on NE winds from a "perfect track" storm while NYC got buried under 21", the anomaly is something to brag about even with the pain.

Having experienced (Feb 2010) cold rain on NE winds from a "perfect track" storm while NYC got buried under 21", the anomaly is something to brag about even with the pain.

That was an absolutely totally different setup though, you were under total marine air from the mega NAO just draining in Atlantic 38 degree air at all levels. Not close to what this is all about.

Archived