• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

not true. It almost always snows in the mtns even into north georgia before the I-95 cities see their first snow. I saw the Para and it has two lows one goes thru tenn and the other tracks along the gulf and up the coast. I seriously doubt that's how it plays out.

Agreed, I am speaking for non-elevation areas. It's crazy the mountains haven't seen much.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12 NAM does not provide much hope for flurries Tuesday night. (but)You never know how these upper level disturbances develop so it might come down to tracking radar returns Tuesday. **for the mountain folks you should have a better chance. 

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fnam%2F12%2Fnam_namer_084_sim_radar.gif&model=nam&area=namer&storm=&cycle=12&param=sim_radar&fhr=084&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&ps=model&use_mins=no&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20160109+12+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=363

12 NAM does not provide much hope for flurries Tuesday night. (but)You never know how these upper level disturbances develop so it might come down to tracking radar returns Tuesday. **for the mountain folks you should have a better chance. 

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fnam%2F12%2Fnam_namer_084_sim_radar.gif&model=nam&area=namer&storm=&cycle=12&param=sim_radar&fhr=084&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&ps=model&use_mins=no&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20160109+12+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=363

Just about every good clipper we have ever had here was never forecasted to be more than "just flurries"....on the downside 98% of clippers here are either dry or "just flurries"......

I doubt the Euro will verify either, but if anyone wants to know what the ideal scenario is for a board wide snowstorm cut and paste the 216 hour panel. My lord, perfect confluence in the northeast, sprawling Midwest high pressure, perfect tract for a low with a baroclinic zone buffered by high pressure in the Caribbean. That is what we are looking for.

Wow what a :weenie: run.. I really think we can reel in a nice southern solution but obviously widespread 10"+ storm for the SE would be insane. However, if that happens, this is the pattern and year for it to happen in. Looking at that Op run I'm not actually thinking "throw it out" even though it doesn't have great ensemble support, I kinda want to hold more to it considering the Super Nino and pattern. For those wondering why it doesn't have a ton of ensemble support on the snow meteograms, that's normal this far out. I posted a post yesterday on the 50/50 low and the high placement from 00z GFS in a 24 hour period of runs...it's important to watch trends and I honestly can't see this trending in the wrong direction in terms of will it be cold enough. The question is all in the vorticity maps and simply high placement, will the s/w hold and will the track stay or will it go out to sea? I'm leaning towards the previous, because of the fact that the cold modeled isn't exactly oppressive enough, it's just right which is the case for many of SE big snowstorms, which Jonesing just touched on. Fun times ahead. 

I found this on GSP discussion board this morning but we are already aware it this. It's just good to hear it coming from them:

LONG TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/ THE LAST COUPLE DAYS OF THE MEDIUM RANGE ARE REALLY UP IN THE
AIR...AS THE 00Z MODEL SUITE SHOWS SIGNIFICANT DISCREPANCIES. THE
GFS HAS HAD VERY POOR RUN-TO-RUN CONSISTENCY WITH THE NEXT SOUTHERN
STREAM SHORTWAVE WHICH MAY INTERACT WITH THE NORTHERN STREAM OR STAY
SHUNTED SOUTH. THE ECMWF HAS ALSO BEEN INCONSISTENT. THE 00Z RUN HAS
A CLASSIC MILLER-A LOW TRACK FROM THE GULF COAST TO THE GULF OF
MAINE THURSDAY NIGHT THRU SATURDAY. THIS TRACK WOULD PROBABLY RESULT IN
SOME SNOW ACRS THE CWFA...AT LEAST IN THE MTNS. MEANWHILE...THE 00Z
GFS HAS SUCH A SHUNTED SYSTEM...THAT OUR AREA IS DRY. THE PREVIOUS
FCST AND THE LATEST WPC HAVE CHC POPS RETURNING DURING FRIDAY INTO
FRIDAY NIGHT WITH STILL VERY CHILLY TEMPS. I BACKED OFF INTRODUCING
ANY SNOW BEYOND THE HIGH TERRAIN AND THE I-40 CORRIDOR TO THE NW
PIEDMONT. BUT IF THE 00Z ECMWF WERE TO VERIFY...ACCUMULATING SNOW
MAY BE AS FAR SOUTH AS THE I-85 CORRIDOR. HOPEFULLY...THE MODELS
WILL START CONVERGING ON A SOLUTION SOON.

Wow what a :weenie: run.. I really think we can reel in a nice southern solution but obviously widespread 10"+ storm for the SE would be insane. However, if that happens, this is the pattern and year for it to happen in. Looking at that Op run I'm not actually thinking "throw it out" even though it doesn't have great ensemble support, I kinda want to hold more to it considering the Super Nino and pattern. For those wondering why it doesn't have a ton of ensemble support on the snow meteograms, that's normal this far out. I posted a post yesterday on the 50/50 low and the high placement from 00z GFS in a 24 hour period of runs...it's important to watch trends and I honestly can't see this trending in the wrong direction in terms of will it be cold enough. The question is all in the vorticity maps and simply high placement, will the s/w hold and will the track stay or will it go out to sea? I'm leaning towards the previous, because of the fact that the cold modeled isn't exactly oppressive enough, it's just right which is the case for many of SE big snowstorms, which Jonesing just touched on. Fun times ahead.

And the thing is even if it's not that extreme, or the precip goes out to sea, there is another wave coming behind that, and another behind that. It has been that way since fall, with the precip coming in waves and sticking around for 2 or 3 days. So, if the first one doesn't hit us, there are plenty of chance for more to come.

Via Eric Webb @WebberWeather on Twitter (he posted this to facebook) he sums this up nicer than I've seen anyone...so here goes:

Irregardless of what actually unfolds over the next few weeks & aside from the favorable MJO (phase 7-8 tends to produce the most winter storms on avg in NC (at least since 1975)), background ENSO w/ strong subtropical jet, & favorable near-equatorial 200VP signal, this is a pretty classic setup @ 500mb for something to pop in the southeastern US. Top 20 Southeastern US National Climate Data Center's Regional Snowfall Index (RSI) snowstorms 500mb using NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis (1948-2015) (first pic) & NOAA's 20th Century Reanalysis (1900-2012) (2nd pic) vs the ECMWF & GFS ENS. Hence, we may have a legitimate opportunity at wintry weather in/around Martin Luther King Day, but as always, a lot will change between now & then...

3ZBWb03.jpg

LB8wrUe.jpg

6q12ies.jpg

Our locat met is talking about it....Chris Justus, Meteorologist

*SNOW THREAT* I have been telling you the pattern is ripe for wintry weather and now we have a few threats to watch. The upcoming cold air is something I'm fairly confident about. The approaching moisture-packed systems and their strength and track are things I'm not confident about yet. I'll have a full video update today by 4:30pm and tonight on WYFF News 4 at 6pm.

Timeline Photos · 1 hour ago · Facebook Mentions ·

View Full Size · Report Photo

Archived