joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somebody north of FL is getting snow from that. That is screensaver worthy for the ultimate block.

aw shucks ...

lol

should say: Somebody in north FL is getting snow from that.

Hey - Go Folks !!!!! and let's hope it works - the long range NAO bothers me ....

aw shucks ...

lol

should say: Somebody in north FL is getting snow from that.

Hey - Go Folks !!!!! and let's hope it works - the long range NAO bothers me ....

I wouldn't rule it out with that block. If there were ever a pattern that N FL could cash in it might be this one.

Sitting here on 1/8 I'd call that a win Pack. Can't ask for more right now

Well ensembles have some skill with generalities at day 7-8, let's see how close this verifies. Just went back and looked at how Dec 31st runs verified to today and did OK with general blocking, trough/ridge placements and temps. Obviously muted being 8 days out though.

Fishel just showed a model that shows a 28% chance of 1" or more of snow in Raleigh through January 27.

Says there is a little hope

Would be nice if he explained why he thought that was right when all the indicies are favorable for snow heading into the rest of the month, and these are the indicies that have proved to give Raleigh 25% more snow days than usual instead of just showing a model and say there is little hope.

Would be nice if he explained why he thought that was right when all the indicies are favorable for snow heading into the rest of the month, and these are the indicies that have proved to give Raleigh 25% more snow days than usual instead of just showing a model and say there is little hope.

He said there is A little hope, not there is little hope; huge difference. A 28% for snow for the rest of the month is a decently high blanket probability....

I have lived here my whole life (43 years). He has been weather forecasting in this area since I was a kid. He knows that our annual mean snowfall in this area is around 3-6 inches. I may be off some on this so someone correct me if I am wrong. We often get less than that and some years we get 0 inches of snow. I personally think he shows stuff like this to downplay it because he probably gets hammered if he calls for snow and it doesn't materialize.

He said there is A little hope, not there is little hope; huge difference. A 28% for snow for the rest of the month is a decently high blanket probability....

Agree wholeheartedly .  Fish is a conservative met when it comes to inclement weather in Jan-Feb.  If he's running 28% there's a decent chance coming.

Fishel does not like to even mention snowfall or show accumulation maps until maybe 24-48 hours out.  He has tons of experience here and knows how these things work themselves out.

He says all the time, "I'd rather be right, than first"  

I will say that last year everyone was giving him a hard time on here for downplaying the upcoming "huge" snowstorm b/c his map only showed maybe 2-4 inches for Raleigh and he warned it could be even less.

He was pretty much right.  That particular system was a huge let down in Wake...especially southern Wake.

Let's all hope this low riding NE this weekend can do its thing and set the table right for latter next week. We've got the blocking and plenty of opportunity with all the southern stream vorts. To me the biggest key is how the 50/50 low sets up. I can't emphasize enough how critical it is that it stays consolidated. Exact position is gonna be important but we can't have 2 lobes floating around up there or our temps are gonna be a mess. Got to solve this part of the equation first.

Fishel does not like to even mention snowfall or show accumulation maps until maybe 24-48 hours out.  He has tons of experience here and knows how these things work themselves out.

He says all the time, "I'd rather be right, than first"  

I will say that last year everyone was giving him a hard time on here for downplaying the upcoming "huge" snowstorm b/c his map only showed maybe 2-4 inches for Raleigh and he warned it could be even less.

He was pretty much right.  That particular system was a huge let down in Wake...especially southern Wake.

Oh heck, I'll admit I was one when it came to his "I'd call it the same way again..."  post 2015 Feb winter event article when it came to that snow-to-sleet storm we had in the Triangle, when he predicted a heavy zr would occur and we all knew that transition would not happen here this far north.  Still, I respect the man and know his tendencies with forecasting.  Hence, my previous comment.

There is iron in NCSNOW's words

LOL or something else. The southern stream is going to deliver at minimum some light overrunning events or possibly a phased miller A. Jury is gonna be out on that one till mid week and we'll see way more twist and turns each set of op runs. Timing and strength of the cold is my concern. But what else is new tracking these things

Greg Fishel is an outstanding met who has been at this since the 1980s. His caution is usually warranted around here. Also, I'm gonna shamelessly brag that I know him personally and can say that in spite of his buzzkill reputation he is very, very much a weather weenie lol.

Archived