• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

I wasn't born then and am not the best on keeping bookmarks from past events.  Is there a link or good write-up on that event you could toss my (or the forum's) way?  That one sounds interesting.

It seems what got them was the sneaky deep 500 vort behind the low.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1987/us0122.php

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless, we are talking about deep detail that should be left for 72 hours or less out.  It was a good Euro run and a ton of people got the monster they were looking for (back to back storms).  What we need to do is analyze the ensembles from the Euro and figure out what can go wrong more than "how much where?".

I think it's always best to look at what can "break" versus what can "work" for our areas in the South and Winter weather.

What we need to see now is consistency. I want to see the GFS and CMC begin jumping on board with this solution as well. I also would like to see the Euro hold on to this solution at 12z and 00z tomorrow. If we can go through Saturday with other models jumping on board and Euro holding serve then it's safe to say we have something to track. Alot will depend on the evolution of this weekends storm. Consistency is the key now especially as we begin to get inside 120 hours where models should begin locking in to a solution. Hopefully the Euro is leading the way here.

Not one eps member out of 51 supports the op lol. They improve in days 12-14 but not before day 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I can tell they differ in timing but have the general idea. A lot will depend on how soon the energy kicks out and the placement of the blocking. That may be why they show a good bit of snow but a little later than the Euro. Best overall EPS with 2"+ across most of NC and 2.5-3" amounts northern and western areas. Best snowfall average imo and lots of threats between January 17-22 it seems.

From what I can tell they differ in timing but have the general idea. A lot will depend on how soon the energy kicks out and the placement of the blocking. That may be why they show a good bit of snow but a little later than the Euro. Best overall EPS with 2"+ across most of NC and 2.5-3" amounts northern and western areas. Best snowfall average imo and lots of threats between January 17-22 it seems.

Yeah I was a little quick , there are a lot of warm solutions as well but most have the general as you said

Yeah I was a little quick , there are a lot of warm solutions as well but most have the general as you said

I think what we need to see now is the GFS and CMC jump on board. We need better model agreement right now because the shown many different solutions for the 14-15th system. I'm not even worried about the 17-19th one because the evolution of the first one will significantly effect that second storm. Same goes for 21-23 storm also. The long range eps also looks solid with blocking holding out through end of the run and cold anomalies across the SE for 13 out of 15 days. That's pretty impressive and a nice reversal from our December torch. The models, and analogs, were very helpful in mid December for showing an early January flip which verified nicely.

Just saw the Euro run. That's what I am talking about! Love that it is the Euro and love that it has back to back storms with the first inside 7 days.

Let the fun and games begin,  :snowing: :snowwindow:will have to see what Robert's thoughts are on this as well as Chris S.

Let the fun and games begin,  :snowing: :snowwindow:will have to see what Robert's thoughts are on this as well as Chris S.

The Euro had the heaviest snow over the TN Valley in the 00Z run from the previous night - take away - lots of solutions and chances for snow for the entire Southeast in this pattern - here is hoping it works out for you guys!

Anyone looking at the euro from last night would drool at the possibilities (me included), but it would be best to proceed with a high degree of caution. It really didn't have very much in the way of ensemble support.

Playing pin the tail on the donkey blindfolded after doing the dizzy bat race may be easier than figuring out the interactions between streams past day 3/4.

At any rate, it's nice to get a few operational runs and some individual ensembles pointing to solutions that are snowy for many in the southeast and TN Valley regions.

Anyone looking at the euro from last night would drool at the possibilities (me included), but it would be best to proceed with a high degree of caution. It really didn't have very much in the way of ensemble support.

Playing pin the tail on the donkey blindfolded after doing the dizzy bat race may be easier than figuring out the interactions between streams past day 3/4.

At any rate, it's nice to get a few operational runs and some individual ensembles pointing to solutions that are snowy for many in the southeast and TN Valley regions.

agree, been disappointed many times than not,  :cry:

Taken verbatim, that first storm is a Wake County classic..  meaning NW wake near brier creek gets 6 inches and southern wake near Fuquay gets barely nothing.  

I can go ahead and guarantee the dividing line will setup near or on wake.  Always does!  

Also, RAH isn't seeing it

THE GFS SOLUTION
KEEPS THE LOW OFF OF THE COAST ON FRIDAY BUT THE ECMWF DOUSES
CENTRAL NC WITH PRECIPITATION FRIDAY MORNING. AT THIS TIME...IT
APPEARS MOST OF THE PRECIPITATION WOULD BE LIQUID AS TEMPERATURES
MODERATE INTO THE UPPER 40S TO LOWER 50S. AGAIN A FLURRY CANT BE
RULED OUT AT THE ONSET OF PRECIPITATION IN THE NORTHWEST PIEDMONT
BUT AS OF NOW THIS WOULD BE A RAIN EVENT.

EPS-para shows what I think is going to happen....day 5/6 event suppressed and OTS and then the 17/18th threat it tracks it through central gulf states over central GA then up apps and looks to transfer right over NC and hammers the MA/NE.  Strong signal for that.  If we are to see snow I like the 21-23, there is strong support from both the EPS and EPS-para for this timeframe.  So the 11+ day pattern is a serviceable pattern.  But this time it's for real.  Rarely do we (SE) get the first east coast winter threat, it's always the MA to the NE, they have to get theres first, just how it goes.

Taken verbatim, that first storm is a Wake County classic..  meaning NW wake near brier creek gets 6 inches and southern wake near Fuquay gets barely nothing.  

I can go ahead and guarantee the dividing line will setup near or on wake.  Always does!  

Also, RAH isn't seeing it

you know its always rain chasing cold very frustrating, cold is here until we get moisture then it warms up, go figure, MAN, or vise versa cold chasing rain

Well, one of the few times I'm up and contemplating staying up just a bit longer for the Euro and it goes and does this. I'm with you except I have a hard time buying we don't get something next week. The indices just scream. For something like the Euro is showing... Maybe not as extreme but again hard not getting really excited. I'm just hoping for Friday into Saturday as I'm leaving that Saturday lol.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

EPS-para shows what I think is going to happen....day 5/6 event suppressed and OTS and then the 17/18th threat it tracks it through central gulf states over central GA then up apps and looks to transfer right over NC and hammers the MA/NE. Strong signal for that. If we are to see snow I like the 21-23, there is strong support from both the EPS and EPS-para for this timeframe. So the 11+ day pattern is a serviceable pattern. But this time it's for real. Rarely do we (SE) get the first east coast winter threat, it's always the MA to the NE, they have to get theres first, just how it goes.

not true. It almost always snows in the mtns even into north georgia before the I-95 cities see their first snow. I saw the Para and it has two lows one goes thru tenn and the other tracks along the gulf and up the coast. I seriously doubt that's how it plays out.

not true. It almost always snows in the mtns even into north georgia before the I-95 cities see their first snow. I saw the Para and it has two lows one goes thru tenn and the other tracks along the gulf and up the coast. I seriously doubt that's how it plays out.

You can't count higher elevation areas the same. Normally you get so many more events than non mountain areas. Plus there is so much more population that is effected outside your area. I use to to live in Boone and we would get winter event after winter event. They were ready for it, so it did not have the same impact. Rocky Mountains are the same way; higher elevations get many events and then finally Denver gets a snow and that makes the news.

Archived