• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

remember that spring begins on March 1 in the weather world. Avg high is pushing 60 here by early March.  I haven't seen a decent March snow in 23 years and I don't expect to see another one anytime soon. Jan 15-Feb 15 is the one month window where we usually have the best chance for snow.

Good thing it's only Jan 9th...

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When are we going to learn that we cannot get away from the cutters and NW trend? Did anyone actually think that the 12Z Euro run was going to have any snow on it for us? I'm glad a saved that clown map for the 00Z Euro run. I'll look at it when it's raining at my house next week. :raining:

I hope those that know better knew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still a long way to go. And it isn't like this is the last shot all winter. The woe is me stuff is ridiculous.

Easy there, Brick. I know how things usually go around here in the winter. Just having some fun to lighten the mood. I know that snow may be back on the next run.

remember that spring begins on March 1 in the weather world. Avg high is pushing 60 here by early March. I haven't seen a decent March snow in 23 years and I don't expect to see another one anytime soon. Jan 15-Feb 15 is the one month window where we usually have the best chance for snow.

Climo doesn't really mean much sometimes, just look at December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EPS closer with day 5 event, no real strong signal for day 8. One big change is the -AO is gone by day 6 and the NAO is hanging by a thread by day 8, LOL.

Does not surprise me, a low  tracking that insanely far south in the Gulf like that across Florida is relatively rare.  I still think that event is coming more north, not sure how far but north of where the 12Z Op has it.

Does not surprise me, a low tracking that insanely far south in the Gulf like that across Florida is relatively rare. I still think that event is coming more north, not sure how far but north of where the 12Z Op has it.

Let's hope the next 2 hit because we lose blocking and go straight to a 83 type look on euro. Cold air gets marginal, I imagine you guys would still do ok.

Let's pray for a SSWE next 2 weeks to save Feb. +AO is ugly on euro.

EPS closer with day 5 event, no real strong signal for day 8. One big change is the -AO is gone by day 6 and the NAO is hanging by a thread by day 8, LOL.

The wave on the day 5 event is fairly weak, so it would probably require some phasing to get precip pulled north into any cold air.  For day 8, the mean was a little colder, with a little better setup over Hudson Bay and SE Canada...and it's was a little more suppressed from previous run.  Regarding the long range, it looks pretty darn good to me.  Yeah, I see the lower heights sneaking up to the pole, but that's on the E Hemisphere side.  The most important area of the high latitudes for us is in the W Hemisphere from Alaska, across Canada, Greenland, to the pole.  The west based NAO look remains.  850mb temperature anomalies are below normal for mid/late January for each day from day 2 to day 15.  HM says Euro was a good strat run (we'll see, lot to overcome there).  Also, we are going into a major AAM increase (not my area of knowledge other than the basics), but that means we'll see a lowered trajactory of waves entering the west coast in nino split flow (southern California).  All things considered, I'm pretty gung ho on the pattern.  Of course, we'll always have challenges, and will need to get proper timing of features across southern Canada into the Canadian maritimes to have the cold air setup properly...but I like where we are going.

The wave on the day 5 event is fairly weak, so it would probably require some phasing to get precip pulled north into any cold air.  For day 8, the mean was a little colder, with a little better setup over Hudson Bay and SE Canada...and it's was a little more suppressed from previous run.  Regarding the long range, it looks pretty darn good to me.  Yeah, I see the lower heights sneaking up to the pole, but that's on the E Hemisphere side.  The most important area of the high latitudes for us is in the W Hemisphere from Alaska, across Canada, Greenland, to the pole.  The west based NAO look remains.  850mb temperature anomalies are below normal for mid/late January for each day from day 2 to day 15.  HM says Euro was a good strat run (we'll see, lot to overcome there).  Also, we are going into a major AAM increase (not my area of knowledge other than the basics), but that means we'll see a lowered trajactory of waves entering the west coast in nino split flow (southern California).  All things considered, I'm pretty gung ho on the pattern.  Of course, we'll always have challenges, and will need to get proper timing of features across southern Canada into the Canadian maritimes to have the cold air setup properly...but I like where we are going.

The day 5 potential I thought was close, and the changes needed really happen day 3 to 4, if that southern piece can sneak out just ahead then it would be a suppressed day 5 event and it would bring cold air down into it, like you said. 

Let's hope the next 2 hit because we lose blocking and go straight to a 83 type look on euro. Cold air gets marginal, I imagine you guys would still do ok.

Let's pray for a SSWE next 2 weeks to save Feb. +AO is ugly on euro.

I'll gladly take the pattern the euro ensembles are showing.

^ We'd be better off seeing both the 50/50 low and the Miss Valley low anomaly farther south, but it's an improved look

Like you showed it's been changing literally every run, we haven't had back to back runs that relatively went unchanged.  Still 8+ days out, I can't imagine what this will look like in 2-3 days.

Archived