• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

Folks can pull stats to attempt to prove many things. If you average 50" of snow a winter and are at 0 on Jan. 9, you have a lot of catching up to do. On the other hand, if you average 2" to 10" as most of us do, one or 2 storms get you right to where you are supposed to be or beyond. I have had several really good winters for snow and cold where I had nothing to show until after Jan. 10. On the other hand I have had winters (some with well above average snow) where I was done by January 10. Nino, Nina, neutral are also things you have to take into account when you try to predict what is going to happen based on what has happened thus far. Can't just say "winter has sucked, so it's going to continue to suck". There are some very skilled mets and others more knowledgeable than I that have been trying to make these arguments; however, their arguments get overwhelmed by doom and gloom when computer models do not show that snow is imminent.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you would then be done watching the model runs for next week?

LOL...well of course GFS is going to make me eat my words. Splits it again which bottles up the cold, this is a day 4-5 development so GFS should have some skill....time for bed. This run is toast for any snow inside day 10.

Who cares if there are storms, temps in the 40s and 50s, aren't conducive for snow! If the GFS is wrong about indices , temps , vort placement , and PV location, then there is still a chance! :(

LOL...this run was toast at 96 hours when the PV over HB split and a piece went to south central Canada, blocks all the cold and we are left with same old same old...inland runner, warm east and cold west. If it doesn't split it and sends it all east we probably see a snowstorm day 7-8 #cuttersgonnacut.

d0461a57e0acb60f8c7c4b5f7e485916.jpg

LOL...this run was toast at 96 hours when the PV over HB split and a piece went to south central Canada, blocks all the cold and we are left with same old same old...inland runner, warm east and cold west. If it doesn't split it and sends it all east we probably see a snowstorm day 7-8 #cuttersgonnacut.

OP GFS is gonna OP GFS, you mean...

It actually pops a decent low and the storm is there, sub 1000mb bomb off of NC...problem is the PV split like NCrain said, no cold to work with...but for people concerned about models losing the storm, this should take care of that. The cold is the bigger issue most should be focusing on.

Low is 995mb way off HAT on SV, so yeah, that's a storm.

It actually pops a decent low and the storm is there, sub 1000mb bomb off of NC...problem is the PV split like NCrain said, no cold to work with...but for people concerned about models losing the storm, this should take care of that. The cold is the bigger issue most should be focusing on.

But if cold shows up, Storms will not! We can't seem to have it both ways?

Low is 995mb way off HAT on SV, so yeah, that's a storm.

I agree Jon.  Like pack said when the PV splits it blocks the cold.  The CMC splits the PV also but comes back later in the run and brings in the cold.  It also brings NC snow on 1/20 but that's way too far off to be taken seriously.

It's almost worth this hot mess to see how JB squirms out of this. This Nino just doesn't want to snow in the east, hard to fathom but it is what it is.

Pack - go to bed and try again tomorrow, haha. This winter isn't close to being over.

Check out the EXCAM http://models.wxmidwest.com/ Not saying this is going to happen verbatim, but there's not a single bad look at 500mb for any of the weeks available or the month of February. And a lot of those have awesome snowy Nino looks for NC. 

Archived