amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Need the PNA ridge just a little taller with less energy coming into it to crash it down.  Maybe we get lucky and get that.

Yeah it's very close and CMC dropped .05 to .08 across the area as light snow with it last night, verbatim a dusting to an inch. Once we get inside 84 hours I expect this one to trend a little further south with the clipper and stronger with the PNA ridge.

Bigest improvement was getting rid of that double gyro over last nights run and instead we had one gyro for our 50/50 low. This allowed HP to build in underneath and deliver the cold. IMO this thing will trend better in future runs as we get closer for deeper south as oppossed to MA per say because of the blocking keeping the southern vorts suppressed. And there are no shortage of vorts coming in the southern stream. That double looking gyro on the 0z gfs is what gets refered to as a GL Low. Need our 50/50 to stay consolidated like todays 12z run or it want matter for any of us down south cause our cold air tap will get screwed. I'm pretty pumped with the signs we are seeing.

I'm on board, maybe we can squeeze in a nuisance type event next Wednesday before the table is set for next weekend. I go on call Friday and am already exploring contigencies in the event a chase caliber event materializes.

GFS brings them out of the wood work! lol  What's up man, where you been hiding? 

GEFS says hello to w-NAO.

Now THAT is a gorgeous look. The low height anomalies over the Canadian Maritimes is what I've been waiting to see in this blocking pattern (rather than centered over the Canadian Plains which favors the pesky Great Lakes lows and cutting). 

Edit: granted it's still 7 days out so too early to get wrapped up in any specific storm threat but these are good pattern trends.

Am I reading the GEFS right that the PV lobe is now in a much better location in the NE; acting as the 50/50 low (trending anyway)?  Just want to make sure I'm following what's "good" with what's shown.  I've got the blocking down....

Don't want to see the PV split with a piece floating over central Canada.  That blocks out our HP.  Needs to stay as one PV over SE Canada with rising heights over central Canada to build high pressure.

12z OP GFS weakens that STJ wave too much but the GFS-parallel does not. And...

NwSnO8o.png

This is a full bore Miller A storm that forms deep in the GOM.  This will put down big totals well into the deep south and up the piedmont region.

12z OP GFS weakens that STJ wave too much but the GFS-parallel does not. And...

NwSnO8o.png

This is a full bore Miller A storm that forms deep in the GOM.  This will put down big totals well into the deep south and up the piedmont region.

Does that continue north after that frame?

Archived