joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Impressive cold shot after a record shattering December. If you hate sustained cold periods or cold in general, then this is definitely your kind of winter because it's a quick shot and then we warm up again.

More prolonged cold spells are still a ways away but I doubt we see any "severe" cold because of the Nino factor which is fine by me. Just give me temps cold enough for snow.

Happy New Year!

Impressive cold shot after a record shattering December. If you hate sustained cold periods or cold in general, then this is definitely your kind of winter because it's a quick shot and then we warm up again.

More prolonged cold spells are still a ways away but I doubt we see any "severe" cold because of the Nino factor which is fine by me. Just give me temps cold enough for snow.

Happy New Year!

Widespread arctic outbreak days 11 thru 20 .

Happy New Year![/quote

Starting off the new year great I see lol

With what we just went through in December with the record warmth, my brother in law is telling me we're in store for a very mild winter. He's telling me there's simply no snow or cold air up north. Don't know where he's getting his information from, but I can tell you one thing he's about to be shell shocked!  :shiver:  :mapsnow:

Wake me up when we get some precip....

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

p168i.gif?1451662899

Lol. I'm still going for an above normal January (temp wise) with below normal snowfall. I see the STJ overwhelming the CONUS pattern completely. The models are going to have a lot of trouble with a split flow pattern, as they always have in the past. The super Nino will not be denied this month, STJ domination and badly flip flopping models is my call.

Lol. I'm still going for an above normal January (temp wise) with below normal snowfall. I see the STJ overwhelming the CONUS pattern completely. The models are going to have a lot of trouble with a split flow pattern, as they always have in the past. The super Nino will not be denied this month, STJ domination and badly flip flopping models.

You keep using the STJ as a negative factor, just give me cold and an active STJ any day of the week and 4 times on Wednesday.

Lol. I'm still going for an above normal January (temp wise) with below normal snowfall. I see the STJ overwhelming the CONUS pattern completely. The models are going to have a lot of trouble with a split flow pattern, as they always have in the past. The super Nino will not be denied this month, STJ domination and badly flip flopping models.

Lol.

This was/is my biggest concern for the middle portion of winter (January-early February). When we do get the cold, it overwhelms the pattern and suppresses the storm track. Hope Im wrong.

The STJ won't allow suppression ;)

Seriously though, this was the concern last year as well when it finally got cold, it took a little while for models to start showing precipitation, I think if the precipitation will come as the pattern favors something a little more active than currently depicted.

The STJ won't allow suppression ;)

Seriously though, this was the concern last year as well when it finally got cold, it took a little while for models to start showing precipitation, I think if the precipitation will come as the pattern favors something a little more active than currently depicted.

Im with ya. I think the cold early on will suppress things but as we advance through the winter, we get the cold and the STJ to interact more frequently. Backloaded winter?

So, some think the STJ rages and overwhelms the pattern. Meanwhile, some others think the cold presses and overwhelms the pattern. I don't know, sounds like a good recipe for something to me.

You don't remember our classic cutter to cold and dry patterns? We sometimes get these patterns that have little blocking in general but there are these massive HP's that surpress a storm or two and then we get a nice wound up lakes cutter, rinse, lather and repeat. I don't think this will be the case at all here, but this initial cold won't come with any precipitation so people might get a little restless (especially since we're already in January)

Archived