joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bro, you, me and the man on the moon know if the EPS were showing warmth and the GEFS were showing cold right now, you would be saying ignore the EPS and go with the GEFS right now. Lol come on

This is certainly true haha. I think he'd be a little less confident about it though. But he's optimistic guy.

I Am not here often but I know some of you throughout the years. Some like warm weather and will do anything and show any mode that shows warm weather. Same thing with the people who like cold and snow. Personally I agree with pb. I don't who he is and I'm not taking sides. But I have been saying since November. Late December or January it turns and mid January we should be all staying not up with model runs. Good luck !

I Am not here often but I know some of you throughout the years. Some like warm weather and will do anything and show any mode that shows warm weather. Same thing with the people who like cold and snow. Personally I agree with pb. I don't who he is and I'm not taking sides. But I have been saying since November. Late December or January it turns and mid January we should be all staying not up with model runs. Good luck !

You should post here more. Everything still looks on track for a second half cold and snowy winter.

There was always supposed to be a relaxation in the pattern before the real show. February is where it's at, we need to cool down the ocean for the city and coast and the next two weeks will do that well. Still plenty of energy in the Gulf Stream to give us the baroclinicity we need to go boom. That's when the big storm happens

I would not worry about the PAC ,  the hammer did not even come down yet .

Think we are all in agreement about relaxing after the 20th for about 10 days before it re fires .

There is plenty to look at in the 1st 20 days that the GFS and most here missed .

Get through that , then we can move on . 

The hammer drops is ridiculous. It's going to get colder for sure, not +13, but doorman is right, the western ridge is dying and it's going to be zonal flow

Explain exactly what this 5 day mean is saying  

When you are done lets see if that`s a hammer . 

You see what it is showing at 240 in the M/W that will get parked over you as we get closer .

post-7472-0-31078700-1451771014_thumb.pn

post-7472-0-42201600-1451771036_thumb.pn

Even as there is disagreement on where things are going, for purposes of context none of the guidance suggests a return to the predominant December pattern. That pattern is gone.

Dec2015500mb_Anomalies.jpg

Don , Tom posted  the Jan 10 - Feb 1  500 mb 1958  map away. It looks like the Euro weeklies .  The mean ridge was further E then where we are now and that trough ripped right through the M/A.

Then Feb 58 was a legendary month .

We have done a complete flip at 500 .  

Things do get quite ugly for several days before the cold comes back. It may not be December ugly but I see the 50s returning in the Jan 6-10/11 period.

So whoever called for a +4 for the 1st 9 days is probably on the money.

The 12-20th is our best opportunity for sustained cold & snow this month before the next regression. We'll likely see more of that in Feb and even March where they'll be openings for wintry weather.

If we can maximize our chances, then our snow totals could add up very quickly.

Forky has a bit of a point. The GOA low is trying to make a comeback at the end there. Something to watch moving forward. However, thats way out there and it looks like a sweet pattern before then. Of course, that doesn't mean it will deliver, but its better than no shot.

FWIW that GOA low tried to show up numerous times Days 13-16 in the 2nd halves of the 13-14 and 14-15 winters on the EPS and GEFS and every time the models were wrong.   The west ridge/east trof pattern tends to be one that likes to hang on in the DJF period..IMO it is one of the hardest patterns over any continent in the globe to break down when it sets in.

There are only 3 days of AN . Opined , expected and the MISS was Jan 2- 6 on their end  . Go back and read  the period  that was forecast ( week 1 ) by the CFS to be + 8 . Which would mean Jan 1 - 7 . 

Week 1 .

We know about the 3 day warm up . Never in the equation . Then the  floor drops out ( Next fight ) . 

Those 2 days of 50`s will be offset by 2 days in the 20`s .You are prob looking at N for the first week.

But my dates were always 2-6 and from the 10 - 20 . 

post-7472-0-08978800-1451776473_thumb.pn

FWIW that GOA low tried to show up numerous times Days 13-16 in the 2nd halves of the 13-14 and 14-15 winters on the EPS and GEFS and every time the models were wrong.   The west ridge/east trof pattern tends to be one that likes to hang on in the DJF period..IMO it is one of the hardest patterns over any continent in the globe to break down when it sets in.

Thats interesting. That's when it was too, right at the end of the run. Even with that happening, there was still some ridging in the arctic and trough signal in the east. It'll be interesting to see how it trends from here.

Archived