Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

A quick note...

Previously, I expected a colder pattern to lock in around mid-month +/- a few days following a variable period of alternating warm and cold anomalies for the first half of January. Given the MJO and forecast SOI (really corroborating one another), I now expect to be wrong about the cold locking in. Instead, it appears that warmth and cold will continue to alternate for the time being. This won't be a December 2015-style disaster, but it won't be a gem like late January 1966 either.

The GFS ensembles and ECMWF ensembles (which, at first glance, seem to try to break down the AO- by 240 hours) point toward a growing risk of a period of more sustained warmth as the month nears an end. That outcome would also be consistent with an MJO in Phases 2 or 3 during strong El Niño events during the 1/15-2/15 timeframe. Ironically, February 2-15, 1998 featured an AO-/PNA+, yet wound up warmer than normal during MJO Phases 2 and 3. 

These points only cover the remainder of January and refer largely to temperature anomalies. I still think February could be blocky with opportunities for snow and cold. However, I believe that idea is more uncertain than typical for El Niño and blocking climatology.

I'm sure all here would agree that long range weather forecasting is complex, humbling and there is more to learn about the telecommunications.  I appreciate those that attempt to analyze the current El Nino and other indexes, variables which could bring cold and snowy weather yet to NYC this winter.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You want a high just north of New England, not sliding east over Labrador...

Agreed BUT it slides East pretty much after the fact. Not a perfect position but signal for a big storm and the fact models keep showing some form of HP to the North of the LP is good for now. Obviously if it has the same warm look middle of next week, it's not good. But at this range, this is about all you can ask for in terms of a potential storm D6-D7.

Don't get too invested outside 5 days let me guidance show you consistency.

That said you are going to need this one work to prevent bridge jumping.

The torch cometh Jan 25 -5 .

Check out the GFS @ 312, that would be a pretty good way to run a torch ;)

There's more to weather then snow. Snow season around here is maybe 15 weeks long if that, and even the snowiest Winters have slowdowns and warmups.

I made that post for the weenies. To be honest, I'm really interested in seeing the rain bands with this one since it might be a slightly warm core system. 

How did we manage to get rain with that evolution? If this cuts off the like the GFS has it I give up, I don't know how many 980 mb storms in ideal locations giving us rain I can handle.

I think DT stated in his discussion earlier about this storm that you don't want the 500 low cutting off or closing so soon as it allows too much warm air to move into our area.

Agreed. Just posted because of all the people jumping on every possible threat.

You know, I'm a fan of snow, but I'm also a pretty big fan of severe weather. And I can tell you this; I wouldn't give any severe threat (even if it's part of a pattern producing 3000 Joules with 60 kt shear and lapse rates in the 7s every day for a week) much thought until pretty much the day before. Now, I know that the two are not very comparable because of how localized convection is, but still, with the all the desperation around here, it seems like snow is almost approaching severe thunderstorm status, at least for us in the city.

Many people here don't take day +5 severe threats, even in a perfect pattern, very seriously, and I think that same mindset is quite warranted now given the kind of winter we're in (regardless of pattern potential).

Can't understand the severe weather thing, I mean, No me gusto...snow is one thing but I could do without having the bejesus scared outta me by thunderstorms and wind events that threaten to bring trees down on my house. I am thankful  I Iive in the metro area which  has relatively mild weather. Had a small derecho I think back in Aug 98 and it was truly terrifying to behold. Maybe it was just a bad storm but someone told me it was this derecho thingy...

I hear same thing happened on last super nino 97 98. Great tracks but mostly rain.

Yes, only one small event in March and the road crews didn't bother to salt so I slid my truck into a curb and broke my axle. And it really didn't snow of any consequence again until Dec 31 2000. So buckle up it could be a mild ride...for years....this is always in the back of my mind, cause darn remove a couple years and what a run we've had.... 

Always a plus to have the Navgem and JMA on board with the 18z GFS. That is a great trio

Unless there's consistency and the big boys are on board AND it's under 5 days then it's more or less fantasy.

However some sort of storm wouldn't surprise me due to a shift in the pattern upstream.

Forky is winning the battle right now and based on where we are headed for the rest of January, the month is likely to finish with a + anomaly.

Archived