joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we'll eventually turn colder by mid December and very snowy by late December. January won't have a thaw and it'll be snowier than average. February may end up near or above normal but with a blizzard or two ending the average snowfall above average for the month. March will end up being colder and drier but barely any snow. Lock it in

Total snowfall for NYC 40-48 inches

I disagree about March. I think it could be our snowiest month

Very stormy pattern developing as we head deeper into December. I wouldnt be shocked to see some snow before we exit december.

Often strongly negative SOI periods are followed by a breakthrough of the subtropical jet. Storminess for the 2nd half of December seems reasonable. Cold remains questionable. Hopefully, we'll cash in on one of the storms before the month is over, though January may offer a higher probability of doing so.

Often strongly negative SOI periods are followed by a breakthrough of the subtropical jet. Storminess for the 2nd half of December seems reasonable. Cold remains questionable. Hopefully, we'll cash in on one of the storms before the month is over, though January may offer a higher probability of doing so.

Agree dom

December  is a winter month. 

A shut out is a disaster.

It's disappointing, but I wouldn't call it a disaster. Long range forecasts have shown for a while that December was going to be rough and the latter half of winter looks better.

The way I look at it, if we're going to have a real crummy pattern, I'd rather have it in December than January or February. We can easily have a good winter even with a bad December.

A little comedy from Joe Bastardi here (actually not Joe Bastardi)

--

VODKA COLD COMING. Well folks, not volks as in Volkwagen, vodka cold is finally coming into the picture. I was looking at the 06z 6000 hr CFS and it shows brutal cold air heading down to the Plains by June 12, 2016. My worry, my concerns are that there could be a monster storm coming up out of the Gulf at the same time, and that could send snow totals into orbit. Mind you, this is NOT a forecast, but just ducks being born about to walk over to the pond and dipping their feet in to the water. This correlates well with my thoughts I have had ever since November 16, 1987. Remember, we at Weatherbell.com have been alluding to this first and for some time now. My fear is that the Cahirs connection and the French Connection will intertwine and bring snow and cold all the way down to Tampico, Mexico. These things are telling me that, again, we have to watch very carefully the I-95 corridor. The snow patrol will have something to smile about this June. Vodka Cold. Texas may have snow. Speaking of Texas, the Aggies are going to the Sugar Bowl. Again, this teleconnects well to my forecast. Enjoy the weather, it's the only weather you got.

--

Joe B. here again. I forgot to add my verification. I said that NYC would see the worst cold in 500 years last week. I predicted a high of -120F for the first 3 days of the week and up to -22F for the highs the rest of the week. The weekly average should have been somewhere around -50F for highs with temps running some 96 degrees below normal. Actual temps for that week were about +4 with an average high for that week being about 43 degrees. JFK hit -55 F really quick for 15 minutes before midnight on the 17th, BUT, a pre-midnight surge of warm air pushed temps up to around 33F.

Just wait until it gets even warmer. The departures are going to be stunning by 12/20 because the lows will also be on the rise.

I said NYC will post a +9.5 this month and while that might be pushing it we could be around that three weeks into December.

Yeah, my forecast lows spike into the mid 40s Thursday night and stay there through the weekend. We haven't been seeing huge departures because the dry air has gotten us into the 30s and even upper 20s at night despite warm days. Departures will go up once the dirty ridge and then cutter move through. A few days of 60/40 or 65/45 will move the monthly anomaly up quickly.

Amazing the difference between NYC and suburbs this month. Central Park is already +6.5 and has not even broken the 30s with 5 consecutive lows at or above 40F. Here in Dobbs Ferry, last night was in the upper 20s and the nights before were in the low to mid 30s.

Just shows how little Central Park radiates on clear nights with no wind. Outlying areas, however, radiate well under the strong ridge.

NYC could end up with a massive departure this December if we really get 3-4 days in the 60s.

Archived