joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They still say "y'all" in parts of NoVA, just depends where.  Travel down 95 or west on 66 for a few miles.

Yes. True. But didn't think many in Jersey said it. Most of NoVa is not real VA but a bunch of transplants like me who have govt jobs. But you don't have to travel far to hit the south. When it comes to the lack of winter we are all family at this point. Hope is changes soon for all of us.

Yes. True. But didn't think many in Jersey said it. Most of NoVa is not real VA but a bunch of transplants like me who have govt jobs. But you don't have to travel far to hit the south. When it comes to the lack of winter we are all family at this point. Hope is changes soon for all of us.

It was forced. I also use the term heckfire from time to time. :D But I am born and raised in Jersey.

Alot of warm weenies on here. I have no clue how people can not see how the pattern moving forward is a much better one than now with some snow chances. Even in the sne thread they arent talking about anything except warmth.

It is odd isn't it. I mean, the GFS and GEFS AND EPS are showing a HECS pattern in the LR and several posters are still harping on and on about warmth. It's mayhem.  Looks like El Nino may finally be cooling off as the last weekly numbers indicated, and there is evidence is a much stronger attack on the PV occurring in the d8-d12 range. All good things for the second half.

Alot of warm weenies on here. I have no clue how people can not see how the pattern moving forward is a much better one than now with some snow chances. Even in the sne thread they arent talking about anything except warmth.

We'll need a few more days to see if the pattern really is heading in a better direction. Even if it is, it's still going to take until January before we benefit as the cold air dumps out west.

If the 18z gfs is correct in the LR, then that would be a great sign of a much better pattern beyond Xmas and into the new year. It would also take us away from a 97/98 year which had practically no cold anywhere.

It is odd isn't it. I mean, the GFS and GEFS AND EPS are showing a HECS pattern in the LR and several posters are still harping on and on about warmth. It's mayhem.  Looks like El Nino may finally be cooling off as the last weekly numbers indicated, and there is evidence is a much stronger attack on the PV occurring in the d8-d12 range. All good things for the second half.

All of the models show a -NAO and -EPO in the mid to long range with multiple snow chances. I guess it can't snow in December in strong el nino years :whistle:

We'll need a few more days to see if the pattern really is heading in a better direction. Even if it is, it's still going to take until January before we benefit as the cold air dumps out west.

If the 18z gfs is correct in the LR, then that would be a great sign of a much better pattern beyond Xmas and into the new year. It would also take us away from a 97/98 year which had practically no cold anywhere.

I think the pattern is going to get much better starting around the 18th with a possible storm. The models want to develop a weak -NAO around that timeframe.

It is odd isn't it. I mean, the GFS and GEFS AND EPS are showing a HECS pattern in the LR and several posters are still harping on and on about warmth. It's mayhem. Looks like El Nino may finally be cooling off as the last weekly numbers indicated, and there is evidence is a much stronger attack on the PV occurring in the d8-d12 range. All good things for the second half.

You're kidding right?

For everyone actually looking for cold and snow, the 0z not surprisingly has an additional cutter before the real hurt comes in toward the end of the run, with an almost Jan 96 look to it at 500mb. More EPS members support snow in the 12/19-12/22 timeframe now, so something to continue watching.

6z GFS also advertising a much colder pattern in the long range, supported by the 0z Ens and EPS. The worst of it will be this Sunday/Monday...then we're on the road to Winter.

Sizable SSWE about to impact the PV as well...next 8-10 days.

For everyone actually looking for cold and snow, the 0z not surprisingly has an additional cutter before the real hurt comes in toward the end of the run, with an almost Jan 96 look to it at 500mb. More EPS members support snow in the 12/19-12/22 timeframe now, so something to continue watching.

6z GFS also advertising a much colder pattern in the long range, supported by the 0z Ens and EPS. The worst of it will be this Sunday/Monday...then we're on the road to Winter.

Yes the heat is in the front of this pattern. Enjoy it . We will be stepping down once into early Jan .  Dec was always suppose to be warm so I would caution extrapolating this early pattern through the rest of  winter . 

The Euro seasonal continues to stand firm in it`s retrogression J- M .

post-7472-0-37780600-1449660288_thumb.pn

post-7472-0-90792600-1449660298_thumb.pn

post-7472-0-25773100-1449660310_thumb.pn

Yes the heat is in the front of this pattern. Enjoy it . We will be stepping down once into early Jan . Dec was always suppose to be warm so I would caution extrapolating this early pattern through the rest of winter .

But this level of warmth is unprecedented. I know even you're surprised and the scary part is that the warmest is yet to come when current departures are already in the +5-6 range.

Yes the heat is in the front of this pattern. Enjoy it . We will be stepping down once into early Jan . Dec was always suppose to be warm so I would caution extrapolating this early pattern through the rest of winter .

But this level of warmth is unprecedented. I know even you're surprised and the scary part is that the warmest is yet to come when current departures are already in the +5-6 range.

Non event . If the 1st 20 days end up 20 above it has zero effect on the season .

After the 18/20 the the extremes come down and by week 4 you maybe close to N .

Don't worry about departures in December and ignore the guidance in J thru M

Irrelevant aanamolies unless you are trading HDD

Wolf has been a very good poster on here for the last 3 winters I don't understand the negativity towards his posts

Thanks. I have a controversial reputation based largely on my stupidity as a poster many years ago.

Reality is, in terms of temperatures, early next week is probably the worst of it, then we see how long it takes for the lower parts of the atmosphere to respond to positive changes occurring in the tropopause and stratosphere. Last nights gfs went bonkers, most likely jumping the gun. But, there's usually a reason for these chaotic flips once they start happening. Frankly, I think the GEFS is leading the way here over the EPS. GEFS likely rushing it, eps likely too delayed.

Please rebuff any of my analysis, which matches Paul's btw, with some meteorological reasoning. I've explained that the stratosphere is forecast to warm significantly at 50 hpa in 8-10 days. The cfs weeklies now show PV displacement at 10 hpa later in December. El Niño has peaked which is evidenced by the last set of weekly numbers, and the cold pool upwelling into regions 1/1.2. Furthermore, models are now going into their usual chaotic flips, common preceding large scale pattern changes. Historic analogs correlate to a cold and snowy second half with arctic blocking, also starting to show on models, though likely rushed a bit. The step down pattern shift begins next week and we should be in full swing by the first or second week in January. What's your meteorological rebuttal? No SSWE? No ENSO peak? No indication of pattern shift on models?

The big question to me is after we have the cool down 12/17-12/25 give or take, do we get another burst of torch or do we step down from there?

The big question to me is after we have the cool down 12/17-12/25 give or take, do we get another burst of torch or do we step down from there?

Good question. I doubt we torch, per se, but we'll need to see how the pattern evolves next week to determine if another moderation occurs and how mild it gets.

And remember that averages are dropping as we head deeper into December, so don't be scared by bright red and orange maps showing departures well above normal into Hudson Bay. We saw this last year too. Snow cover can be quickly refreshed up there.

CMC major snow event favoring interior. CMC ens two day snowstorm for most of the area. Euro just misses a major snow event. D10.

Obs thread rambling on and on about warmth. Real pattern evolution and threat tracking is in banter. Go figure. Lol

I just extrapolated the 84 hour NAM out to day 10, should produce a two day blizzard, 36 inches+, 35 mph winds, gusts to 45 mph...

Sure because we know how accurate 10 day forecasts are. Falling AO does suggest there may be a brief window of opportunity but ensembles say otherwise.

False. The EPS has been featuring more and more members as hits for this storm. The CNC ens from today are a two day blizzard. You're spreading misinformation.

Archived