joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't jump ship until around mid Jan. If the pattern is still the same by then and is expected to be the same then you could put an X on the winter.

However the biggest thing to look at will be how fast the Nino collapses. Some models really tank this Nino soon, which would make a huge difference for the second half of winter. Several mets are in that group.

I'm guessing we have a relatively wide swath of ages in this group - college through retirement - but man, we just had a nice stretch of snow the past few winters, as well as a nice stretch of snow and active systems in the past 15 years! Everyone should take a deep breath and enjoy the nice weekends we're having; the kids and I were able to play outside without jackets on this past weekend and I cut the grass.

It killed me in the 1990s when we only had TWO good winters around here (1994 and 1996) while I was a teenager, bookended by warm, boring ones in the beginning and the end of the decade. Enjoy it while you can - whether it's a terrific storm, or a mild, sunny day. I'd take that over rain, mud, and raw weather any day.

I'm guessing we have a relatively wide swath of ages in this group - college through retirement - but man, we just had a nice stretch of snow the past few winters, as well as a nice stretch of snow and active systems in the past 15 years! Everyone should take a deep breath and enjoy the nice weekends we're having; the kids and I were able to play outside without jackets on this past weekend and I cut the grass.

It killed me in the 1990s when we only had TWO good winters around here (1994 and 1996) while I was a teenager, bookended by warm, boring ones in the beginning and the end of the decade. Enjoy it while you can - whether it's a terrific storm, or a mild, sunny day. I'd take that over rain, mud, and raw weather any day.

Spot on!  

I lived thru some great winters growing up in the 50's and 60's...My son was born in 1990 and he's seen more snow storms his first 25 years than I did...

I was six when I experienced my first major storm...

1955-56...six

1957-58...eight...

1959-60...ten...

1960-61...eleven...

1963-64...fourteen...

1966-67..seventeen...

1968-69...nineteen...

1977-78...twenty-eight...

1978-79...twenty-nine...

1982-83...thirty-three...

1992-93...fourty-three...

1993-94...fourty-four...

1995-96...fourty-six...

2000-01...fifty-one...

2002-03...fifty-three...

2003-04...fifty-four...

2003-05...fifty-five

2005-06...fifty-six...

2009-10...sixty...

2010-11...sixty-one...

2012-13...sixty-three...

2013-14...sixty-four...

2014-15...sixty-five...

0-10 yrs old.....2

10-20 yrs old...5

20-30 yrs old...2

30-40 yrs old...1

40-50 yrs old...3

50-60 yrs old...5

60-66 yrs old...5

Throw all the tomatoes and eggs you want but if it stayed like this (almost) all winter I would be ok with it.  After the last fifteen years my back (and wallet) need a break.  Granted 11/12 was pretty easy but I think I'd like another one.  I love riding my mt bike when it's in the 40's, it's so much nicer than teens     :yikes:

Throw all the tomatoes and eggs you want but if it stayed like this (almost) all winter I would be ok with it.  After the last fifteen years my back (and wallet) need a break.  Granted 11/12 was pretty easy but I think I'd like another one.  I love riding my mt bike when it's in the 40's, it's so much nicer than teens     :yikes:

You have to try a fatbike. ;)

im with you, i hope it stays this way, each day with out ICE and snow is just one more day closer to spring.

That's what I ride year round, has been for several years. Fat Bikes are so much fun!! On the trails around here they are nearly as popular as "regular" mt bikes now.

Those are like the SUV of bikes. Years ago I would ride my old mountain bike on the flat sand at low tide down by

the water in Long Beach. But I would really like to give the fatbike a try at some point.

Those are like the SUV of bikes. Years ago I would ride my old mountain bike on the flat sand at low tide down by

the water in Long Beach. But I would really like to give the fatbike a try at some point.

I've ridden from Lido to Atlantic Beach and the west end of Jones Beach.  Basically we are allowed to be most places on the south shore as long as we walk across the dry sand and ride within (I think) 30 feet of the mean high tide line. 

Archived