Newest Member
    joxey
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No purples.. an improvement.

I love how the models are never wrong when they predict warmth in winter at 360 hours out

Actually that's a pretty good signal from the 18z GFS which might mean a pattern change is afoot.

No purples.. an improvement.

I love how the models are never wrong when they predict warmth in winter at 360 hours out

Except for 13/14 when every warmup was thwarted or weakened, I'd have to agree. In fact, that was the only winter I can recall storms progged to hit us in the medium range that started drifting north on the models as we got closer in actually came back south.

Except for 13/14 when every warmup was thwarted or weakened, I'd have to agree. In fact, that was the only winter I can recall storms progged to hit us in the medium range that started drifting north on the models as we got closer in actually came back south.

This pattern is pretty fascinating. I know people hate it and yeah I guess it sucks in some fashion but still remarkable either way.. especially if the ~Christmas torch comes to pass as suggested basically across the board. If you're a weather lover you gotta love extremes.

This pattern is pretty fascinating. I know people hate it and yeah I guess it sucks in some fashion but still remarkable either way.. especially if the ~Christmas torch comes to pass as suggested basically across the board. If you're a weather lover you gotta love extremes.

Yep, I agree. But I'm stubborn and still believe that the change will occur. And since Decembers ordinarily stink around here, I feel like we've missed nothing so far or even through the end of the month.

Some changes starting to show in the LR now. Still a craptastic look but the 12 eps is eroding the deep trough in the west with higher heights starting to poke into the pac nw. Trough axis moves from the west coast into the Intermountain west.

In line with what happens week 3 of the weeklies. It's going to be a grind to get out of this mess but it will have to start somewhere.

6z gefs takes on a zonal look but it's more a byproduct of spread with trough/ridge placements. The individual members are divided. EPS is decidedly on favor of the persistent ridge in the east through the end of the month.

The short story is we may be seeing signs of change but nothing favorable for returning to normal temps yet. Hopefully the way out continues as we get peeks at the first week of Jan on LR guidance.

Some changes starting to show in the LR now. Still a craptastic look but the 12 eps is eroding the deep trough in the west with higher heights starting to poke into the pac nw. Trough axis moves from the west coast into the Intermountain west.

In line with what happens week 3 of the weeklies. It's going to be a grind to get out of this mess but it will have to start somewhere.

6z gefs takes on a zonal look but it's more a byproduct of spread with trough/ridge placements. The individual members are divided. EPS is decidedly on favor of the persistent ridge in the east through the end of the month.

The short story is we may be seeing signs of change but nothing favorable for returning to normal temps yet. Hopefully the way out continues as we get peeks at the first week of Jan on LR guidance.

The CFS sub monthlies are warm through the 7th but then drop to near normal for the remainder of January which would be a step forward. 

The CFS sub monthlies are warm through the 7th but then drop to near normal for the remainder of January which would be a step forward. 

It's going to be a lot of steps. I just made a post in the SE thread about the AO. Interestingly, 82-83 was awful hostile until mid Jan. The beginning of Jan would have made me puke knowing what I know now. Good thing I was only a crazy kid calling 936-1212 5 times a day. 

This is DJF

post-2035-0-96005200-1450278918_thumb.jp

I haven't looked at how Nov fits into the 45-60 day period that seems to be common with anomalous AO regimes (in both directions). And the cases we looked at in years past are mixed with some being all out flips and others being a relax and reload so it's hard to say where we are going there. But it's possible our anomalous period began in Nov. That would support the possibility of a large change any time during Jan with the second half being the most likely. Just gotta sit back and wait it out. And go fishing because lakes are still warm enough for active bass...haha

It's going to be a lot of steps. I just made a post in the SE thread about the AO. Interestingly, 82-83 was awful hostile until mid Jan. The beginning of Jan would have made me puke knowing what I know now. Good thing I was only a crazy kid calling 936-1212 5 times a day. 

This is DJF

attachicon.gif82-83 ao.JPG

I haven't looked at how Nov fits into the 45-60 day period that seems to be common with anomalous AO regimes (in both directions). And the cases we looked at in years past are mixed with some being all out flips and others being a relax and reload so it's hard to say where we are going there. But it's possible our anomalous period began in Nov. That would support the possibility of a large change any time during Jan with the second half being the most likely. Just gotta sit back and wait it out. And go fishing because lakes are still warm enough for active bass...haha

Move that graph to the left by a couple/few weeks and we might be onto something.  Look at the graph since mid-August:

post-1705-0-73843700-1450281686_thumb.gi

Not saying we should make a 1-to-1 (minus a few weeks) comparison, but it's certainly thought-provoking.

Archived