• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

Scandinavian high signal has been more pronounced of late in LR. Supposedly that's often a key to dislodging the PV. I'm a little confused because a lot of warm winters have a strong signal of high heights around there too. But that's what the long rangers say. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Move that graph to the left by a couple/few weeks and we might be onto something.  Look at the graph since mid-August:

attachicon.gifLate-year 2015 AO.gif

Not saying we should make a 1-to-1 (minus a few weeks) comparison, but it's certainly thought-provoking.

Wow, good find.

Our latest dip lines up pretty well with Bob at day 49.  Let's hope the pattern stays the same (as Bob's chart).  If it does, we're in business.

Wow, good find.

Our latest dip lines up pretty well with Bob at day 49.  Let's hope the pattern stays the same (as Bob's chart).  If it does, we're in business.

We're going to have to endure another big spike up to +3 or more over the next 15 days and then tail down from there. Total wag but any real flip is 30 days in the future assuming it happens at all. What we need to hope for is the possibility showing up with guidance once we get to the last week of Dec.

The strat still looks hostile. Even though there some warming coming up, it doesn't look like it will do the job. That can easily change though. Effective strat warming events aren't the easiest thing to see coming at long ranges. But considering how cold the damn thing is it's going to take more than some warming and elongation. What I'm hoping for is the upcoming warming to elongate and disturb the strat and then a second event during the first half of Jan to finish the job. Isotherm has made some excellent posts about this. 

We're going to have to endure another big spike up to +3 or more over the next 15 days and then tail down from there. Total wag but any real flip is 30 days in the future assuming it happens at all. What we need to hope for is the possibility showing up with guidance once we get to the last week of Dec.

The strat still looks hostile. Even though there some warming coming up, it doesn't look like it will do the job. That can easily change though. Effective strat warming events aren't the easiest thing to see coming at long ranges. But considering how cold the damn thing is it's going to take more than some warming and elongation. What I'm hoping for is the upcoming warming to elongate and disturb the strat and then a second event during the first half of Jan to finish the job. Isotherm has made some excellent posts about this. 

Would a relocation of the PV help us out?  Is that even a feasible scenario?

Would a relocation of the PV help us out?  Is that even a feasible scenario?

Sort of but not over the long term. I assume you are talking about the strat PV and not h5. Last year there were multiple bend but don't break events and they seemed to coincide with cold air dumps into the conus. I don't think it was just the -epo doing its work. The timing was too close. Use trop tidbits 10mb plots with both the GFS/GEFS. It's easy to see. The most simpleton way to look at it is this:

1. Big blue symmetrical target = Bad

gfs-ens_Tz10_nhem_1.png

2. Oranges pushing towards the center and the target getting elongated = semi interesting

gfs-ens_Tz10_nhem_16.png

But what we really want to see is the PV splitting in half and weakening. No sign of that yet although Dr Cohen probably lays awake at night praying it happens this year. 

That does look nice. Bob. Best map I've seen in awhile. Now let's see if we can pin it in time and start getting closer to it!

Interestingly, it's fairly similar to the weeklies but a week sooner. Little crumbs getting dropped lately. And agree, even though it's not good for us verbatim it's surely a step in the right direction. Especially up near AK. 

Heh, there's even some weak support for the d15gefsoncrack

post-2035-0-40078400-1450289869_thumb.jp

On a more serious note...the 12z gefs shows much more support for colder air getting here at the end of the month than any ens run I've seen. 6z gefs was mixed overall. 12z definitely stepped more in our favor for the torch taking a break. Hopefully the torch takes a dirtnap

Before we get a decent pattern we will have to endure several layers of less terrible patterns. So yes, I'm optimistic seeing signs of the first less terrible pattern that doesn't include the word weeklies 

Still raging +NAO tho, not to mention it's still warm heh. Nino flips can happen quick. I don't necessarily think we need to spend a month in transition. 

we have had a raging +Nao for the past several winters

Well 97-98 aside I think a -NAO/AO is particularly critical in Nino years. Nevertheless I think we all agree it's a move in the right direction. Just a matter of what that means.

Archived