• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

GEFS keeps dropping cookie crumbs about things changing. At least out west. The majority of members on the 12z run show a ridge poking up through the pac nw late in the run.  Ens mean reflects this. We're kinda in no mans land though...

The 00Z GEFS mean was similar, and had a not too bad look at the end of its run, kind of a PNA-looking pattern.  Not ideal, but definitely looked better.  The corresponding 850 temperatures, however, looked a bit warmer than I might have expected given that flow pattern.  (ETA:  Could be because the heights themselves are not all that low here, or a few members skewing the 850s warmer.  Just speculation.)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eps similar to gefs with replacing the low height anomaly with a + anomaly out west. A significant pattern change for them. We still suffer with ridging to the NE and AN temps but not torchy. Hard to say how things would progress if the ens are correct.

Well, at least it is something different and opens the door a bit.

Eps similar to gefs with replacing the low height anomaly with a + anomaly out west. A significant pattern change for them. We still suffer with ridging to the NE and AN temps but not torchy. Hard to say how things would progress if the ens are correct.

Better than nothing, but that -EPO that was teased by the GEFS yesterday is totally gone. 

Better than nothing, but that -EPO that was teased by the GEFS yesterday is totally gone. 

Yea, epo region is volatile during nino's. It helps anytime it's - but having it anchored isn't something to put money on. I did catch another significant difference between last nights and today's eps run. I'm posting the maps out of curiosity as to what others think. Check out the pole. Last night was a strong and consolidated vortex:

post-2035-0-00740900-1450389458_thumb.jp

This afternoon is a lot different. It's unusual to see the EPS jump like this. Could be a total blip but heights are split (a byproduct of spread?) and heights certainly higher. Still a +AO of course but not a big blue beast... Something to watch in an otherwise non-existent winter pattern

post-2035-0-72089500-1450389547_thumb.jp

Yea, epo region is volatile during nino's. It helps anytime it's - but having it anchored isn't something to put money on. I did catch another significant difference between last nights and today's eps run. I'm posting the maps out of curiosity as to what others think. Check out the pole. Last night was a strong and consolidated vortex:

attachicon.gif0zeps.JPG

This afternoon is a lot different. It's unusual to see the EPS jump like this. Could be a total blip but heights are split (a byproduct of spread?) and heights certainly higher. Still a +AO of course but not a big blue beast... Something to watch in an otherwise non-existent winter pattern

attachicon.gif12zeps.JPG

all the colors are still in the wrong place. They just arent as dark!

Euro weeklies look better. Week 4 not terrible. Atlantic is meh and probably more of a west of us favored pattern but southern stream and PNA/EPO cooperation.

Just ran though them. You know it's been rough when a vastly improved pattern compared to now still so-so.

End of week 4 actually starts looking kinda good though. They do make me optimistic that even the first week of Jan could have some chilly days. H5 implies no problem getting cold to dump down even if transient.

Agree that big storms would favor a west track basically both weeks 3-4. AO not raging + at least.

A less terrible pattern is leaps and bounds better than this I guess.

Just came out in daily form on wxbell.. looks workable by like Jan 7-10+ or so. Cold western 2/3rds to start Jan overall. I'm not sold a +PNA is what we're looking for in a strong Nino even tho it works overall. That type of look actually builds during week three but tends to fade again late by d 30 or so. Let's get the storms rolling I guess. :P

Just ran though them. You know it's been rough when a vastly improved pattern compared to now still so-so.

End of week 4 actually starts looking kinda good though. They do make me optimistic that even the first week of Jan could have some chilly days. H5 implies no problem getting cold to dump down even if transient.

Agree that big storms would favor a west track basically both weeks 3-4. AO not raging + at least.

I guess I'm mainly figuring even if we see a better pattern we're going to run into lots of issues so I'm overeager to see a perfect pattern. :P

But no doubt it's as good as we've seen. Above avg precip here 3 of 4 weeks.. that's a bit of a change in itself. Both week three and 4 appear they could try to light up some GOM to EC coastal activity which I think is also hinted at at least here and there by the ops/ens etc.

Rather dry in CA interestingly enough. Tho I think there are hints of a GOA low returning late so perhaps just a pause for the WC.

I guess I'm mainly figuring even if we see a better pattern we're going to run into lots of issues so I'm overeager to see a perfect pattern. :P

But no doubt it's as good as we've seen. Above avg precip here 3 of 4 weeks.. that's a bit of a change in itself. Both week three and 4 appear they could try to light up some GOM to EC coastal activity which I think is also hinted at at least here and there by the ops/ens etc.

Rather dry in CA interestingly enough. Tho I think there are hints of a GOA low returning late so perhaps just a pause for the WC.

Definitely a STJ look on the means. A real nino type of one. Whole country is cold late week 4. That's our prime cold temp climo too. Like you said, not perfect but I'd welcome the entire run for sure.

Heights creeping up around the pole throughout....#83redux

Just came out in daily form on wxbell.. looks workable by like Jan 7-10+ or so. Cold western 2/3rds to start Jan overall. I'm not sold a +PNA is what we're looking for in a strong Nino even tho it works overall. That type of look actually builds during week three but tends to fade again late by d 30 or so. Let's get the storms rolling I guess. :P

It's what we are looking with a positive AO cause we all know that won't be changing in the next 30 plus days . Give me a brief PNA and -EPO even if it's transient

It's what we are looking with a positive AO cause we all know that won't be changing in the next 30 plus days . Give me a brief PNA and -EPO even if it's transient

What good would that do? Think we might get lucky and time something? It would just be a brief chilly shot most likely. Need a meaningful change in the Pacific pattern regardless of what the AO does. Otherwise its more of the same.

What good would that do? Think we might get lucky and time something? It would just be a brief chilly shot most likely. Need a meaningful change in the Pacific pattern regardless of what the AO does. Otherwise its more of the same.

That was my point .clearly I didn't do a good job. Thing is last year we were saved by the EPO and there are no signs that a - EPO is gonna lock in . I agree about the pacific . But yes I would take my chances with timing something and luck right now vs 70 damn degrees

Sent from my iPhone

Definitely a STJ look on the means. A real nino type of one. Whole country is cold late week 4. That's our prime cold temp climo too. Like you said, not perfect but I'd welcome the entire run for sure.

Heights creeping up around the pole throughout....#83redux

Stop talking dirty to me.

Archived