Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your money is on...?

Well the Euro almost never loses to the GFS at range and its ensembles strongly support it so I'd have to lean Euro. At same time records don't often get blown out of the water so I wonder if there's a trick or two ahead with december record looking more and more like a certainty.

00z EURO at 192 has rising heights/ridge over Alaska and no Aleutian low, while 216 has the ridge just offshore of the West Coast... that's good news for us, correct?

Also, I like the look at 240... bowling ball/cut off SLP (possible) in SW and 1044 H in Upper Midwest

Would be more promising if there wasn't a high off SC and a huge ridge in front of it. That's cutting to Chicago. But at least there are finally some encouraging signs showing up in the long range. Baby step 1

Looking at the GFS and Euro ens, I don't see much of anything that looks good...............or different.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like I'm looking at the same image for about a month.  I wish I had copied some images.  I'll bet if you put them on top of each other, you'd just have a stack of the same thing.

Incredible consistency.

My previous comments were based on yesterdays ensembles, the `12z GEFS yesterday were better, had some ridging over Alaska and hinted the pattern might be shifting, last nights run had none of that and is right back to no hope through day 15. I am not panicking yet for the whole winter, I didn't really expect much good before mid January anyways, but this pattern isn't going to just flip with no warning.  Also, all of the examples of really good snow patterns in Nino's were accompanied by a PV split or displacement of some sort.  WE didn't have AO help the last few years but I don't think its going to work out this year without it. That is something that takes time and then the pattern usually comes a week or two after as well.  So we need to start seeing signs by the second week of January or so or then I start to feel this winter may be a total loss. 

ETA:  by total loss I don't mean no snow at all, we could get a few nickel and dime type events even with no help from the AO, but if we want to cash in with any meaningful or significant snowfall we probably need the AO to cooperate some. 

My previous comments were based on yesterdays ensembles, the `12z GEFS yesterday were better, had some ridging over Alaska and hinted the pattern might be shifting, last nights run had none of that and is right back to no hope through day 15. I am not panicking yet for the whole winter, I didn't really expect much good before mid January anyways, but this pattern isn't going to just flip with no warning.  Also, all of the examples of really good snow patterns in Nino's were accompanied by a PV split or displacement of some sort.  WE didn't have AO help the last few years but I don't think its going to work out this year without it. That is something that takes time and then the pattern usually comes a week or two after as well.  So we need to start seeing signs by the second week of January or so or then I start to feel this winter may be a total loss. 

ETA:  by total loss I don't mean no snow at all, we could get a few nickel and dime type events even with no help from the AO, but if we want to cash in with any meaningful or significant snowfall we probably need the AO to cooperate some. 

I can't imagine a pattern like this holding all the way through, but in it's current state, I don't even think snow is remotely possible, unless one considers flurries as snow.

So, if it were to continue, I could see a total shutout being within the realm of possibility.

I can't imagine a pattern like this holding all the way through, but in it's current state, I don't even think snow is remotely possible, unless one considers flurries as snow.

So, if it were to continue, I could see a total shutout being within the realm of possibility.

A shutout is possible just very unlikely.  A total shutout is a 1 in 100 type thing.  I guess one example was a strong nino so that raises the probability a bit.  I don't expect this exact longwave pattern to continue totally locked in for the entire winter though.  That would be almost unheard of.  There will be fluxuations where the trough axis will come east even if its just temporary.  That's why I think its likely it will snow at least some at some point.  But for us to get any significant snow, or a period with several snow events strung together, I think we will need some help from the NAO or AO and not just a shift in the trough axis.  Just my own wild guess, our measly sample size on the almost infinite possible permutations of the atmoshphere doesn't offer the full picture, but looking at past Nino patterns that produced significant snow they all had some help from the AO/NAO. 

A shutout is possible just very unlikely.  

It is but I think most of us would consider having a winter without a single warning level event (or maybe 2" event) about as bad as one. 

I think risk of having no big storms is starting to increase as time moves forward. Everyone and their mom keeps tooting Feb as being the big month. It certainly could be but I'm far from sold on it being a lock. You are in a better climo spot so this might not matter as much but without at least an average cold pattern the cities and CP could struggle pretty bad. 

As you said, help from the AO/NAO is almost required this year. Especially in the 95 corridor. Last couple years had great cold delivery patterns despite no help from the AO/NAO. Big -EPO patterns aren't common at all in Nino's. I checked them all. There are periods of having a -EPO but Nino climo doesn't favor anything like what we saw the last 2 years. Extremely uncooperative AO/NAO Decembers have proven to be a precursor for a subpar winter far more than not. I don't care about wasting Dec if other things show promise. We have quite the beast going on over the pole again. It's the favorite and flipping is the underdog at this point. 

If we never get a block going then we go into timing mode with a +pna and 50/50. They can work out of course but timing something during a winter with an overall warm background state almost always equals below climo snowfall. We've had plenty of those winters in the past. It is what it is and time will tell how it shakes out. 

It is but I think most of us would consider having a winter without a single warning level event (or maybe 2" event) about as bad as one. 

I think risk of having no big storms is starting to increase as time moves forward. Everyone and their mom keeps tooting Feb as being the big month. It certainly could be but I'm far from sold on it being a lock. You are in a better climo spot so this might not matter as much but without at least an average cold pattern the cities and CP could struggle pretty bad. 

As you said, help from the AO/NAO is almost required this year. Especially in the 95 corridor. Last couple years had great cold delivery patterns despite no help from the AO/NAO. Big -EPO patterns aren't common at all in Nino's. I checked them all. There are periods of having a -EPO but Nino climo doesn't favor anything like what we saw the last 2 years. Extremely uncooperative AO/NAO Decembers have proven to be a precursor for a subpar winter far more than not. I don't care about wasting Dec if other things show promise. We have quite the beast going on over the pole again. It's the favorite and flipping is the underdog at this point. 

If we never get a block going then we go into timing mode with a +pna and 50/50. They can work out of course but timing something during a winter with an overall warm background state almost always equals below climo snowfall. We've had plenty of those winters in the past. It is what it is and time will tell how it shakes out. 

Feb isn't dead yet...but man it's getting tough to believe in.  We are toast, literally through atleast mid-Jan and by then we will know if we are going to get strat help which is almost a must to save Feb.  Raining today so we got that going for us...cuts down on the +25F temp anomalies.  And we were worried about a 98 type torch, LOL...

Feb isn't dead yet...but man it's getting tough to believe in.  We are toast, literally through atleast mid-Jan and by then we will know if we are going to get strat help which is almost a must to save Feb.  Raining today so we got that going for us...cuts down on the +25F temp anomalies.  And we were worried about a 98 type torch, LOL...

No, it's definitely not dead yet. Neither is Jan imho. I'm just pointing out the key fact that Dec is dreadful for a very bad reason. I get a warm and snowless Dec being no reason to cancel winter. But the primary reason why Dec is warm this year is problematic. Past history doesn't paint the brightest future but every winter is unique so definitive calls at any long range are silly. I'm an odds guy mostly and my posts about long range thoughts are always odds based based on my own ideas. Which can be totally wrong too. 

I'm interested in weeklies tonight. There's a subtle but noticeable difference in the 0z EPS run from last night and D18 from Tuesday's weeklies with the heights in the GOA and off the west coast. The +anom is stronger. Hopefully rolling that forward shows a +pna/-epo quicker than the last weekly run. Hard to say. Not much else "good" to point out.  

GFS refuses to budge. As of the 12z run, it is holding firm on Christmas Day. Very interesting.

Seems probably related to the low the GFS kicks thru the lakes. Euro treats it more like a 'cold' front with no real push behind it. GFS drags in cooler air at least for a time tho this run isn't all that torchy in major torch sense.

Euro backed off a bit. Imagine something of a middle ground tho probably favoring euro still.

I do wonder if this torch will live up to the hype in the end. Then again that's relatively speaking.

Seems probably related to the low the GFS kicks thru the lakes. Euro treats it more like a 'cold' front with no real push behind it. GFS drags in cooler air at least for a time tho this run isn't all that torchy in major torch sense.

Euro backed off a bit. Imagine something of a middle ground tho probably favoring euro still.

I do wonder if this torch will live up to the hype in the end. Then again that's relatively speaking.

I would agree. Ens mean temps are a good 10 degrees below the op. Which makes sense given timing spread of the fropa. Maybe we get a 68* midnight high followed by rain and dropping temps and cap it off with a cool 50* breezy evening. lol

I would agree. Ens mean temps are a good 10 degrees below the op. Which makes sense given timing spread of the fropa. Maybe we get a 68* midnight high followed by rain and dropping temps and cap it off with a cool 50* breezy evening. lol

And that is interesting as well because the GEFS heights for Christmas look to be much more in line with the Euro than with GFS op.  Cool stuff.

12z GFS continues the big storm idea around NYE... but this time its an inland runner... rain to maybe some wet snow at the end...

ETA: :lmao: at the very end of teh run... nice "snowstorm"

Are you referring to the 3 day storm around day 10?

I will take what the GFS shows around 240 hours.  Those tend to work well out here.

And that is interesting as well because the GEFS heights for Christmas look to be much more in line with the Euro than with GFS op. Cool stuff.

Well we are still outside 7 days so the op outlier could be quite meh. GFS is quite warm Christmas Eve.

Are you referring to the 3 day storm around day 10?

I will take what the GFS shows around 240 hours. Those tend to work well out here.

I do get sense we will start feeling some sort of slight mix up in the pattern ahead whether or not it means snow or cold. There has been advertisement of more southern stream action heading toward Jan and perhaps that's what we are starting to see in runs toward the latter part.

GEFS definitely favors a slower fropa and warmer Xmas than the op. 

ETA: and some really warm days after Xmas. I'm not discounting a quick hitting relatively cool air mass after Xmas but the warm signal after remains quite strong. 

We all know GFS is the JV team....

I do get sense we will start feeling some sort of slight mix up in the pattern ahead whether or not it means snow or cold. There has been advertisement of more southern stream action heading toward Jan and perhaps that's what we are starting to see in runs toward the latter part.

GEFS keeps dropping cookie crumbs about things changing. At least out west. The majority of members on the 12z run show a ridge poking up through the pac nw late in the run.  Ens mean reflects this. We're kinda in no mans land though...

12z GFS continues the big storm idea around NYE... but this time its an inland runner... rain to maybe some wet snow at the end...

ETA: :lmao: at the very end of teh run... nice "snowstorm"

I saw that and literally sat here saying "WTF is that?!  Totally crazy...and kind of funny.  Looks like the damn thing practically comes out of the Caribbean!  Curves toward the coast and makes a "landfall"  in New England.

Well, that's now two fantasy unicorns that the GFS has thrown our way in the past two days.  That's gotta be something at least!

Archived