• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

More importantly, the ensembles are hideous. Outside of a cool down next weekend, we are downright torching. This is a pretty epic warmth pattern for the time of year.

48.2 avg temp at DCA

6.1 above normal

Every day with a positive departure

I am searching for a suitable cliff to jump from...maybe Great Falls...at least next to weekend looks seasonal...right now at least

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As God is my witness, my tulip poplar has buds. I am sick to my stomach - disastrous - that tree is apparently gorgeous in the spring and I am afraid that ain't happening this year (just moved here in July - have yet to see a spring here)

Sent from my iPhone

It'll be fine.  Not the first time trees here have had to deal with Torchmas. 

A majority of trees are largely governed by light. Some like the autumn flowering cherry not as much.

I know the research says that... but I have often wondered.  If light matters so much and temps matter so little... why do the higher elevations change color first?

Research also indicates that many temperate zone plants require a certain period of cold weather after they go into dormancy before they will break it.  That probably plays a bigger role in preventing most plants from breaking dormancy now.  Obviously, not all.

I know the research says that... but I have often wondered.  If light matters so much and temps matter so little... why do the higher elevations change color first?

Research also indicates that many temperate zone plants require a certain period of cold weather after they go into dormancy before they will break it.  That probably plays a bigger role in preventing most plants from breaking dormancy now.  Obviously, not all.

Well I think temperature matters on the margins at least. Even with higher elevations going first it's not that huge of a difference in a larger sense. Hadn't read that on the cold season.. that also makes sense.

Well I think temperature matters on the margins at least. Even with higher elevations going first it's not that huge of a difference in a larger sense. Hadn't read that on the cold season.. that also makes sense.

It was interesting, when I visited Spruce Knob on October 7th, Red Oaks on the summit were colored and rapidly losing leaves, while here (same light conditions) the trees were still green.  Obviously, its much colder on the summit.  I kinda think its more along the lines that the shortening daylight tells the tree that it can shed foliage, while the temperature is more of a factor in exactly when it sheds.  For example, you aren't going to see trees start to go dormant in a chilly June.  This likely also has some genetic factors, since it probably is warmer when trees start to shed in Florida versus Vermont.  This is probably at least part of why some Red Maple cultivars keep their leaves much later than the native Red Maples around here.

Its interesting also how more vigorous shoots, especially sprouts from a tree that has been cut back pretty hard, will stay green notably longer. 

Euro ens looks like poo thru the run. (things that aren't shocking)

I can think of some better adjectives than poo...worst run yet.

Unless we get persistent clouds or cad or unmodeled cold beyond next weekend we stand a really good chance at a #1 warm Dec. Not just us either. A whole lot of cities in the eastern 3rd of the conus.

It's been an incredibly persistent period of warmth going back to last month. It'd be hard to draw up a better pattern for no snow and big warmth in the east than the one we're staring at.

Our next run at warmth might be just as impressive if not more so than this one in terms of departures. 60+ on Christmas? Upper 50s to close the year? Brutal.

Which tells me the rubber band will snap after December, or maybe even melt. Either way, the pattern can't last much more than 75 days and it started in November.

December 1st, 2014 - Bay water temperature at Thomas Point Lighthouse (mid-bay)  - 40 degrees

December 1st, 2015 - Bay water temperature at Thomas Point Lighthouse (mid-bay)  - 54 degrees

Current TPL water temp right now - 51.4 degrees.  I am guessing I won't be playing any ice golf this year on the river!

That is a pretty big swing!

Archived